• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thelonious Monk

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is pretty cool. Ideas on music from Steve Lacy, saxophonist with Monk. From The Bad Plus blog. "Don't play everything. Let some things go by." "You've got to dig it to dig it."
6a00d8341cb9b653ef01053dk1.jpg
monk1ic3.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Michael Brecker used to do a great cover of Monk's Mood in his live shows.

tintindeo

Reaction score
this list has been going around lately amongst musicians who have email and in some cases onto the bandstands as well...i haven't dug into it's origins as of yet, steve lacy is dead, ...so is al mckibbon, larry gales; both bassists i've worked with...john orr, ben riley, are the ones who come to my mind right away who r still a-monk-st the alive...another good checkpoint would be terry adams, leader/keyboard of NRBQ; he know many monk things !! this week, i'll be working w/gildo mahones, (piano/md for lambert, hendricks & ross ..and much more) he is one of the few left from Mintons..once in a while i get a monk memory from him..i'll show him the list..
rimshot.gif

andyw

Reaction score
It blew my mind when attending my daughter's high school new parents' orientation in September. On prominent display in a lobby showcase were annotated manuscripts and photos of Thelonious Monk, an alumni. The fact that this was in Stuyvesant High School in NYC was even more amazing. For out of towners, Stuy has a national academic reputation and the breeding ground for future science/ math leaders and free thinkers.

Reflecting on Monk only confirms the connection between composing music and math and why its not really a stretch for Monk to fit in that context....as crazy as he turned out to be.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a very cool new book of photographs by the late Baroness of Jazz, Pannonica de Koenigswarter. A Rothschild, she married more $$$ and emigrated to the U.S. in the early 1950's. A gifted amateur potographer and jazz fan, she befriended many a musician (Charlie Parker died on the couch while watching TV in her apt. at the Stanhope House, and Monk passed away while living as a guest in her NJ house many years later) and asked them what their three wishes would be. The results of her survey are included here along her remarkable collection of 'behind the scenes' pictures of jazz greats....

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Wishes-I...9364323&sr=1-1

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
roma, I've heard of that book. Thank you so much for reminding me. I need to get it!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not to
deadhorse-a.gif
, but you were reminded about the Cobras and the next day you're asking about hippyhop!
frown.gif

mps23

Reaction score
sf should have a post on monk's collection of hats.

Musiclover

Reaction score
Monk valued great musicianship and a dapper way of presenting his masterful skills. He displayed total dignity and integrity. I love his Music.

tintindeo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mps23
sf should have a post on monk's collection of hats.

terry adams, pianist w/NRBQ has one, Monk's wife gave it to him...he showed it to me once; ..one of his most, if not THE prized posession in his vast array of everthing!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tintindeo
terry adams, pianist w/NRBQ has one, Monk's wife gave it to him...he showed it to me once; ..one of his most, if not THE prized posession in his vast array of everthing!

One of my prized possessions is a souvenir pizza box (has a chef w/ 'NRBQ' in red pizza box script on the lid) signed by Terry, Joey, Tom & Al
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RedScarf7

Reaction score
The documentary "Straight No Chaser" is an essential for any Monk fan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads