• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Worst WAYWT Thread

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothie
IMG_2099.jpg

Ready for the interview...

XeF4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
This does bring up an interesting point though, which is that "style consciousness" often involves a negotiation between standing out and looking really really out of place. And that all relates to a question that appears even more often-- whom does someone dress for? If it's purely personal, that it doesn't matter how out-of-place that person dresses, since he only wants to please himself. Buuut, if we decide to include the role of societal influences and reactions in the way someone dresses, then XeF4's point matters more-- how do you even evaluate someone's style when it's so astronomically different from what surrounds it? Case in point: Socal's "copper thing", which sparked some negative and some positive comments but mostly ones that tried to figure out where even to begin to critique it.
Did anybody actually think that we dress up just for the sheer joy and excitement of wearing clothes? SPOILER: We dress to communicate to others who we are. But wait, I don't care about anyones opinion but my own, I don't care about what they think, and I definatley dont need anybody elses approval for what I wear. Sure bucko. While you probably don't need approval, you do care what your boss, friends, girlfriend, and even strangers think of you. Ever wonder to yourself what you should wear to an interview, a date, or a just night on the town? Hell yes you have. So suck it up and understand that you do care about how others see you. It's not a weakness, its a sign showing that you are socially in tune with the rest of the world. So back to the point on identity- Dress acordingly. You are going to grad school to be an investment banker? Maybe wear a long sleeve button up with a sweater, I don' know. But I do know that you are going to look way out of line wearing cutoff shorts and Sperrys.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Did anybody actually think that we dress up just for the sheer joy and excitement of wearing clothes? SPOILER: We dress to communicate to others who we are.
This argument makes sense, your first one does not.

YoungM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Did anybody actually think that we dress up just for the sheer joy and excitement of wearing clothes?

SPOILER: We dress to communicate to others who we are.

But wait, I don't care about anyones opinion but my own, I don't care about what they think, and I definatley dont need anybody elses approval for what I wear.

Sure bucko. While you probably don't need approval, you do care what your boss, friends, girlfriend, and even strangers think of you. Ever wonder to yourself what you should wear to an interview, a date, or a just night on the town? Hell yes you have. So suck it up and understand that you do care about how others see you. It's not a weakness, its a sign showing that you are socially in tune with the rest of the world. So back to the point on identity- Dress acordingly. You are going to grad school to be an investment banker? Maybe wear a long sleeve button up with a sweater, I don' know. But I do know that you are going to look way out of line wearing cutoff shorts and Sperrys.

Well, if peer approval, at least from the general populace was what people on this forum wanted, this would be a drastically different forum. A&F and HCO would rule the younger crowd, while Mens Wearhouse and KC shoes would rule the older crowd.

Many all seem to dress to impress the internet- because, for some strange reason, thats the group we've chosen to impress- myself included. Outside of a lucky few, our clothing choices really don't impress our social circles. I don't really impress my peers, and even my girlfriend thinks a lot of the stuff I wear, or want to wear, is crap.

What I really wonder about sometimes is how a random forum on teh interwebz managed to brainwash me so completely. But whatevs- I guess I must just roll with it.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM
Many all seem to dress to impress the internet- because, for some strange reason, thats the group we've chosen to impress- myself included. Outside of a lucky few, our clothing choices really don't impress our social circles. I don't really impress my peers, and even my girlfriend thinks a lot of the stuff I wear, or want to wear, is crap.
Really? A lot of people think the way I dress is really nice. I've gotten comments from girls like "You are by far the most well dressed man I know." Sure, some people think I over dress sometimes, but it often seems to me that they are just jealous that I can pull it off, and they are too scared to try. Although, I must admit that sometimes people seem do genuinely think I over dress and am too up tight (stuck up, arrogant, whatever). Doesn't bother me because everyone I've met like this I think dress like crap and are lazy slobs. *shrug* Perhaps you just need new friends.
biggrin.gif
My girlfriend loves it all too.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM
Well, if peer approval, at least from the general populace was what people on this forum wanted, this would be a drastically different forum. A&F and HCO would rule the younger crowd, while Mens Wearhouse and KC shoes would rule the older crowd.

What I really wonder about sometimes is how a random forum on teh interwebz managed to brainwash me so completely. But whatevs- I guess I must just roll with it.

That's strange, I had a completely different reaction from other people once my wardrobe became "styleforumish". Everyone loved what I was wearing, minus a few scrubs.

YoungM

Reaction score
I do get compliments, for sure.

However, a lot of stuff I like gets weird looks from people, and the dreaded **** comes out.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Ya I definitely think of how people will react or judge me when I get dressed to go out on the weekends. In fact, everything I pick up is with the intention of crafting a certain perception about me who cares if I actually like the ****.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a phrase better than "self-expression" would be "projection of ones personal aesthetic". For me, the term "Self-expression" seems to open the gate to alot of costumey stuff, and there's always the danger that if a person want to express their unconventionality, they'll choose garments simply by virtue of their unconventionality or outrageousness, rather than because of the fact they project a unified, consistent, yet individual aesthetic.

And being deliberately unconventional and outrageous is part of what peacocking is, and it isn't anything new. Ya'll act like you don't remember the "cool kid" from high school who mixed his own casual wear with his dad's formal wear all wily-nily. If nothing else, people here need to watch "Sixteen Candles" again.

As well, the proliferation of A&F and Hollister in high school is at least as much attributable to their ready availability as it is to their trendiness. SF stuff simply doesn't have the same availability, and would naturally be cost-prohibitive to most high schoolers. That doesn't mean that a person who wears A&F would necessarily be so blinkered by the fetishized social value of mall brands that they wouldn't be able to recognize the thought and effort that goes into putting together an SF-approved streetwear outfit, or that a guy who wears Men's Wearhouse wouldn't be able to see the virtues of a superior suit (even if he may not be entirely discerning as to all the precise reasons how it's superior.)

Not that the two are even comparable, really. Men's Wearhouse is an ersatz knock-off of a long-standing tradition of men's formal wear, and SW&D styles are basically a gentrified version of the t-shirt and jeans casual look that emerged with post-war youth culture.

As we see time and time again on this board, the ability to appreciate someone else's clothing style does not necessarily equate with a desire to adorn ourselves similarly. Sometimes we don't even have the means to do so. The same holds true, to differing degrees, with the population at large.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I think a phrase better than "self-expression" would be "projection of ones personal aesthetic". For me, the term "Self-expression" seems to open the gate to alot of costumey stuff, and there's always the danger that if a person want to express their unconventionality, they'll choose garments simply by virtue of their unconventionality or outrageousness, rather than because of the fact they project a unified, consistent, yet individual aesthetic. And being deliberately unconventional and outrageous is part of what peacocking is, and it isn't anything new. Ya'll act like you don't remember the "cool kid" from high school who mixed his own casual wear with his dad's formal wear all wily-nily. If nothing else, people here need to watch "Sixteen Candles" again. As well, the proliferation of A&F and Hollister in high school is at least as much attributable to their ready availability as it is to their trendiness. SF stuff simply doesn't have the same availability, and would naturally be cost-prohibitive to most high schoolers. That doesn't mean that a person who wears A&F would necessarily be so blinkered by the fetishized social value of mall brands that they wouldn't be able to recognize the thought and effort that goes into putting together an SF-approved streetwear outfit, or that a guy who wears Men's Wearhouse wouldn't be able to see the virtues of a superior suit (even if he may not be entirely discerning as to all the precise reasons how it's superior.) Not that the two are even comparable, really. Men's Wearhouse is an ersatz knock-off of a long-standing tradition of men's formal wear, and SW&D styles are basically a gentrified version of the t-shirt and jeans casual look that emerged with post-war youth culture. As we see time and time again on this board, the ability to appreciate someone else's clothing style does not necessarily equate with a desire to adorn ourselves similarly. Sometimes we don't even have the means to do so. The same holds true, to differing degrees, with the population at large.
one sentence summary plz.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
one sentence summary plz.

My point was that in discussions of human origins, the works of Teilard de Chardin are often ignored, to our peril.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads