The Worst Look

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 31, 2012.

1. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I think this thread deserve some more pics, I think you could help us out there. :nodding:

2. williamson

williamson Senior member

The overheating of interiors causes many sartorial infelicities.
    The loathsome suit-without-tie look has become a uniform - and it is much more a uniform without the tie as the tie gives colour and individuality.
    Excellent! You've hit the nail on the head.
    [quote name = Geezer]...I recently employed someone who is in almost all respects excellent. Clever, knowledgeable, personable, enthusiastic, etc. The first couple of days he turned up in a suit with no tie - well, it is what passes for summer, I suppose. On day 3, I tell him that he and I are wanted for an unscheduled meeting in ten minutes with someone very important. He starts putting his papers together and finding his pen. I cannot resist saying "Put a tie on, please, we're at work". He did, and has worn a tie every day since. A small victory.[/quote]
    Good for you - if only there were many more such victories!

3. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

At least many of you aren't in IT consulting :fu:.

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

This is what I'm required to wear. Everyday. I'm still in the process of trying to find decent black shirts that are not tents.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

5. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

I'm not a jeans guy myself, but a well-fitting pair of jeans can look better than a floppy set of chinos.

6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Required to wear? For what?

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Black shirt and some and any variety of khaki pants ranging from off white to British tan to nearly olive. Or black pants. :plain:

The company thinks it presents management in a "sporty" image in our retail venue. They want us in knit polos but so far seem to have no objection to the dress shirts having not specifically prohibiting them..

8. celery

celery Senior member

Funny no one has mentioned the most annoying of comments when wearing a sport coat, "Nice suit." Aaaarghhhh! Just because you wear a blazer or sport coat, or even an unstructured jacket that has some form of lapel, people call it a "suit". Jeebus.

The worst offenders aren't men though. At least the sad sack business casual look is fairly consistent. But women generally don't know what they're doing and I'm tired of seeing "matching" = "cute style" LAME. Just because red and red are the same color doesn't mean you need to wear all red ffs.

9. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Gianni Agnelli in a Domenico Caraceni suit, 1936:

[​IMG]

10. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

I'm actually sick of getting shit from women at the office for -not- matching.

"Blue and grey don't match."
    "You have to wear black socks if you wear black shoes."
    Etc.

Generally speaking, most women have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to men's style. You don't want to dress in a way that is blatantly unappealing to women, but at the same time, totally pandering to their notions of style would have you dressing like a Jersey guido in matching black Armani suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. (Or, at the very least, in all dark colors. Women seem to have a strong preference for dark colors over lighter colors, blacks over browns, etc.).

Women on the coasts are more stylistically adept than women in flyover country, but not by a huge margin.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I was at a wedding last weekend. Lots of sartorial nightmares, but the worst: a man wearing a suit and (ugly) tie with sport sandals, velcro and all.

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

add a cardigan and biscash can look ok.

If they just got rid of the dress code people would probably default to casual shirt (e.g. a flannel or thick oxford), jeans and shoes, which is not the worst.

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

Real alphas wear New Balance or Vibram 5 Fingers for business casual and business formal.

14. afreegreek

afreegreek Well-Known Member

I have no idea why the suit is still a part of men's wardrobe.. no matter how fine the material, or the tailoring they are boring as hell.. I thank God every day that I chose a career in which I'll never have to wear one..

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Very much the same with me, I've never had an occupation that required a suit. Kept one for job interviews and my sister's wedding, I think that was it. I've often worn tailored jackets and blazers though. TBH the only time I see a suits been worn around these parts is during Spring Festival(usually shiny ones) of if people work in a bank(staff issue suits).