The Worst Look

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Don't worry we get that too here in NYC. Even if you replace the chinos with jeans, and the summer weather right now with pretty cold. It seems like putting on a jacket is seen as "dressing up" but the weirdo with the vest, skinny tie, and fedora is "fashionable"

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Nitpick: You forgot the sloppy crew neck undershirt

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I remember that piece in GQ. That picture disturbed me. Especially the phone case.

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

don't forget the guys with huge suit jackets and messenger bags that cause the jacket to pull all the way to one side, extending it about 8 inches beyond the actual shoulder

5. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

Or suits with worn out nylon backpacks...:facepalm:

6. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I feel the collective pain.

As someone who wears a suit on average 4.9 working days out of 5, it makes me grimace at how badly the potentially flexibility of business casual is ignored, with the results Manton describes. I rather look forward to the rare slow Friday that I can dip into chinos, brown shoes and sports coats for an occasional bit of variety. And my personal hate is also the suit trousers plus "formal"" shirt plus black shoes combination.

But, to be deliberately contrarian, the same people, or rather their equivalents, 20 years ago would have been wearing ill-fitting suits, scuffed shoes, Donald Duck ties, and so on (I know, I was there). The dress code is different, but the level of care taken remains similar.

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

This is something I think about often. I wonder if I would be more or less annoyed with the same people showing an identical level of apathy and ignorance in more formal clothing. I find when I go to weddings I'm driven crazy by ill-fitting suits and completely obvious miscues. The same dudes wearing cargo shorts and a ratty t-shirt (or the like) has become common. However, I figure if you're going to bother dressing up you might as well attempt to do it correctly.

8. joeman

joeman Senior member

Maybe we can blame it on office rules that support a business casual wardrobe> Americans used to love wearing suits and you're usually frowned upon wearing jeans and blazers in the office. Now its everywhere!

9. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

That picture would be a step up for many.

10. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

I was in Paris last week and was quite surprised at the prevalence of this look on businessmen around the city. It seems to have become quite common in London as well.

11. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Dress down option of choice for middle-management here.

12. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

Bourbon: I'm profoundly relaxed about men going to Special Events like weddings wearing bad suits. Most of them wear a jacket and tie only for Special Events - at least they have made the effort.

But I cannot stand the suit with no tie. Look dickweed, you work at a desk, in a salaried profession. You commute to work from a suburb. You have a "nice" house, with a "nice" little garden that you tend carefully at weekends. You have a "nice" wife who does charity work in the local community. You have "nice" kids who go to a "nice" school and "nice" friends who come round for dinner, when you discuss house prices and "nice" holidays in rural France. Not wearing a tie does not transform you into some kind of free-spirited trendy progressive radical who is down wiv da kidz. Especially when you put a tie on as soon as someone important is coming by or you have a job interview. You hypocritical prick. You're at work. Wear effing work clothes.

Rant over. Thread may continue.

13. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Nicely put. For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't expressing approbation for the practice. It is just a variation on what Manton was saying at the beginning - one can't look too formal or stuffy, so you take the path of least resistance to achieving a so-called 'casual' look (i.e. wear exactly the same but remove the tie).

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Speaking of business casual, my wife's boss occasionally doesn't wear a bra. Needless to say, I assume she enjoys the attention. No one says anything though, so I suppose it's now office accepted.

15. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I had no such doubt.

I recently employed someone who is in almost all respects excellent. Clever, knowledgeable, personable, enthusiastic, etc. The first couple of days he turned up in a suit with no tie - well, it is what passes for summer, I suppose. On day 3, I tell him that he and I are wanted for an unscheduled meeting in ten minutes with someone very important. He starts putting his papers together and finding his pen. I cannot resist saying "Put a tie on, please, we're at work". He did, and has worn a tie every day since. A small victory.