• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Worst Look

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Second worst look: shoulder strap from heavy bag crushing the hell out of the collar and shoulderline of a tailored jacket. Can we all please agree not to do this?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
ok, any bag on the shoulders

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've mentioned this before somewhere, but there is this one department in my company that for some reason all of the guys dress similarly. Not in the sense that they have a dress code, but more like a consistent specific style. They wear tight dress shirts, usually a bold color, and/or pattern, very slim dress pants and wacky shoes. Like burnished grey wingtips, or really light tan split toes with distressing and such. Also, a lot of french cuffs with sometimes... wait for it... a sweater over the french cuff shirt. It started with just two guys like this, then they hired another, and now there are four guys that dress like this. It is very bizarre. It is like they all feed off of each other. One day I want to say something to the lot of them, like ask a really loaded question about how they go shopping together or something.

I've seen this too, and their "style" was almost exactly the same to boot. I'm pretty sure you're right--one guy starts doing it, another likes it and he starts doing it, and very quickly it becomes a positive feedback loop and the whole group is doing it.

French cuffs without a jacket or with a sweater is a very common trading desk look IME. Drives me nuts.

Regarding the bags, I was behind someone on the elevator this morning and thinking exactly that. The worst part was, it looked like a decent suit that actually fit him OK--then he had this ****** nylon bag crushing and misshaping the shoulder.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It makes me cringe when a see a bag on the shoulder of a suit and it is pulling and stretching the collar away from the neck. It is sartorial torture to see.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I use pockets all the time. They are meant to hold stuff and if you don't fill them with lead or plutonium or wet sand, the jacket will be fine.

Shoulder straps, however, are always bad for jackets

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between a cell phone in a pocket and 30 pounds of who-knows-what ripping at your shoulder/collar.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even then stretched out pockets are more acceptable than a contorted fitting jacket with pa-fucked shoulders.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I use my pockets, especially my hip pockets, pretty hard. That's what they are there for. As long as you don't go nuts, it's fine.

I must admit, I do put my hands in them Prince-Charles-style sometimes :embar:

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, I use my pockets, especially my hip pockets, pretty hard. That's what they are there for. As long as you don't go nuts, it's fine.

I must admit, I do put my hands in them Prince-Charles-style sometimes :embar:

I put my hands in my pockets when my boss talks to me. It is to help restrain me from choking her. (Really it is to stop me from crossing my arms in front of me, which I tend to naturally stand, which many people may misconstrue as defensive).

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(Really it is to stop me from crossing my arms in front of me, which I tend to naturally stand, which many people may misconstrue as defensive).

In the same boat. Otherwise I would either cross my arms or put my hands in my pants pockets, and for some reason, I feel the hip pockets are a better option than either of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads