1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Worst Look

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 31, 2012.

1. comrade

comrade Senior member

As a Style Missionary, you haven't yet introduced them to the well-curated collection at Sid Moshpit?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

A very success sales executive in home decor wears a classic cut solid or pinstripe suit with a synthetic white or black UnderArmour T-shirt. It even has the logo over his tit. I see this guy 6-8 times a year and he is always wearing the same thing.

He is a very nice guy. One day I will try and find a way to talk him into wearing a collared shirt.

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

They know full-well of its existence. And they certainly have the money (one wears a 14k Presidential and the other rotates between a Reverso and a Mark XV). However, they are so confident when they talk about their "style," I don't think there is any getting through to them.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Can't stand khakis either, not that I'd necessarily tell someone else to avoid them in the context of wanting to dress business casual.

5. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

:butbut: But but but...It's the transitional time of year.

Come to think of it I usually have a jacket and take it off. I cannot stand the shirt/tie without a jacket/vest look.

6. kennetandersson

kennetandersson New Member

I agree!

hotel dann cartagena

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. comrade

comrade Senior member

When I was growing up in New York my old money looking trad dad- he was the son of poor immigrants,
    would, upon seeing men dressed like your colleagues, comment, "out-of-towners".

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

This is The Worst Story.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

We had a guy like this here. I overheard his boss yell at him about wearing sneakers. I heard him as he walked by say, "But they're black!" :facepalm:

10. patrickBOOTH

I've mentioned this before somewhere, but there is this one department in my company that for some reason all of the guys dress similarly. Not in the sense that they have a dress code, but more like a consistent specific style. They wear tight dress shirts, usually a bold color, and/or pattern, very slim dress pants and wacky shoes. Like burnished grey wingtips, or really light tan split toes with distressing and such. Also, a lot of french cuffs with sometimes... wait for it... a sweater over the french cuff shirt. It started with just two guys like this, then they hired another, and now there are four guys that dress like this. It is very bizarre. It is like they all feed off of each other. One day I want to say something to the lot of them, like ask a really loaded question about how they go shopping together or something.

The weirdest guy of the bunch told me that he has his wife iron the crease out of all of his trousers because "it's too hard to maintain". Also, he said his Allen Edmonds (burnished grey suede) hurt his knees because of the "bounce" corked goodyear welted shoes have. I think he's just an idiot. It is a shame because he's a really nice guy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Second worst look: shoulder strap from heavy bag crushing the hell out of the collar and shoulderline of a tailored jacket. Can we all please agree not to do this?

2 people like this.
  12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Nevah! I've got shit to carry.

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

You went straight from biz cas to shoulder bag without stopping at backpack?

14. Manton

ok, any bag on the shoulders

5 people like this.
  15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I've seen this too, and their "style" was almost exactly the same to boot. I'm pretty sure you're right--one guy starts doing it, another likes it and he starts doing it, and very quickly it becomes a positive feedback loop and the whole group is doing it.

French cuffs without a jacket or with a sweater is a very common trading desk look IME. Drives me nuts.

Regarding the bags, I was behind someone on the elevator this morning and thinking exactly that. The worst part was, it looked like a decent suit that actually fit him OK--then he had this shitty nylon bag crushing and misshaping the shoulder.

16. patrickBOOTH

It makes me cringe when a see a bag on the shoulder of a suit and it is pulling and stretching the collar away from the neck. It is sartorial torture to see.

1 person likes this.
  17. Caustic Man

Then never use the pockets on your jacket.

18. Manton

I use pockets all the time. They are meant to hold stuff and if you don't fill them with lead or plutonium or wet sand, the jacket will be fine.

Shoulder straps, however, are always bad for jackets

19. patrickBOOTH

There's a huge difference between a cell phone in a pocket and 30 pounds of who-knows-what ripping at your shoulder/collar.

20. Caustic Man

I'm not talking about a cell phone in a pocket. I'm talking about Prince Charles with his stretched out jacket pockets that were universally beloved for it's "real world use" look.