The Worst Look

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

I am hot too, yet never dress like that.

2. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

3. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

[​IMG]

Schuman would have shot dude on the the left in the morning and created a brand new hipster hair trend by the afternoon.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

You're not Chinese are you? How do you cool your qi when you become overheated?

5. Yika

Yika Senior member

are they asian alpha males like hermes man ?

6. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

I find a large portion of your own personal style to be appealing. But, in this example, I must disagree (for the most part: I completely agree in the sense that when it's done lazily, it looks lazy).

1) I wear a v-neck over a button down and/or dress shirt and look quite well. Maybe it's because of my body type and distaste for any garments that have an unappealing fit; if I see the same outfit on someone with poor fit, bad color composition, and a lack of details like half the collar under the sweater and the other half over, or sleeves looking sloppy, I agree it looks lazy and unappealing.

2) I also do this (sweater over collared shirt) with an odd jacket/sport coat and I love it. Again, maybe it's my body type and image of confidence. And, again, if done lazily I hate it.

The beauty of our personal style (an extension of our own opinions) is that I respect your own dress choices and our disagreement on this topic.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

See, I think most people's style is a function of two main things 1) It is easy and 2) It is cheap. This is why you see it so often. It is much more difficult to get tailored garments to look great, and it certainly is more money to do so. Do you have to wear sportcoats to look good? No, but I think they make you look great, and better than wearing a sweater over a dress shirt. Do you need to spend more money to look good? No, but people who put resources towards it and in the right way (good taste) will always look better.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hermes Man isn't alpha. He's ridiculous. Label King is alpha.

9. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

Framed in this context, I would agree with your previous comments. If I were presented with a scenario in which an individual utilized a sweater (in lieu of a jacket) to bypass (or attempt to fulfill) a dress requirement or expectation, I would find that lazy. In fact, I can recall a few scenarios wherein an individual did something similar and my thought was "lazy...sloppy". So I would indeed agree. Sorry, drifting off topic and rambling now.

10. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I have the same situation. Being in IT even Project Managers don't wear suits, SC or ties. I can get away with a dress shirt and chinos but I usually wear a dress shirt with jeans so it turns out to be a casual look overal. With the right jeans (and loafers) I can pretty much wear any dress shirt and still fit in.

It would be tough for me to wear a SC at work and not completely stand out.

11. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

The part about the better-dressed people being promoted more is true. It goes with the overall professional image which likely translates to better job performance. I don't think I've seen someone in polo t-shirts and jeans (or chinos) promoted to be a peer by the suit-wearing "elite".

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Add a Fleece vest, take away the belt for a "dress belt", and that sounds about right for the PNW. The other combination is a polo (usually blue), oversized (not deliberately) pleated chinos, and Rockports or Rockport imitators. I think that people must have gotten great deals when Bestbuy closed and liquidated their uniforms.

What Manton described was "business". I think that if you include the tie and the jacket you have "formal".

I propose that instead of levels of formality, you designate days as "care" and "don't care." You could wear anything you wanted, but it would have to be obvious to the beholder that you actually made an effort, whether you are dressed a la Manton or look like Willy Wonka/Alan Flusser or look like some very skinny ninja, on "care" days. On "don't care" days, you could come wearing anything that would not get you arrested. At very least, it would make offices a lot more interesting.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Of course, it's entirely possible that this should get you arrested.

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

In NYC or London it could get you arrested. What about free'n'easy SoCal? :)

15. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Vast majority of business (c) wear around here:

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]
    Add V-neck sweater over the shirt if it's cold.