The Worst Look

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 31, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

A lot of gay men that I know seem to have really big, outspoken opinions on how one should dress, however don't follow their own advice either, (nor should they).

2. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

It's funny that you mention it, but my wife is far more likely to ask me for clothing advice than the other way around.

3. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

I like every item here separately...together, not so much.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm with you man. Suit and no tie can be a cool look - one that I often sport on evenings to be fair, rather than in the office. Evenings out after work generally makes me want to drop the tie and take the formality level down a notch. This is a longstanding tradition of the suited office worker and I intend to carry it to the next generation.

Sport coat with no tie is my go-to version of business casual.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

the less formal the suit, the better this looks. Linen it's not bad, but dark worsted? Much more problematic.

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

That's actually an understatement. I've been to weddings in "upscale" parts of town where half the people have shown up in shorts, polo-style t-shirt and sneakers - and they would wonder why I was wearing a sportjacket (without even a tie). Seriously.

7. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

Wow, dude. You hit the nail on the head 100%. I'm in the South, in a very old city, considered "charming," "classic," etc. Your description of business casual here is spot on. I work in an area of town that is basically the "Lawyers Row," so to speak. I can walk outside my office and see people who look like the better posters (at least from a few years ago) on WAYWRN. Go a street over, and it's all tourists, or business casual denizens in the get-up you described. The "Rockport-inspired footwear" part is the best.

That is a very interesting point.

8. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

That's actually an understatement. I've been to weddings in "upscale" parts of town where half the people have shown up in shorts, polo-style t-shirt and sneakers - and they would wonder why I was wearing a sportjacket (without even a tie). Seriously.

I've worked in offices down here where I've worn jeans, sneakers and a COLLARLESS t-shirt with long sleeves and people have asked me why I'm so dressed up. I'm not kidding.

9. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Pics...

10. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

Just imagine two tube socks filled with sand and tied around the chest.

11. scoredtx

scoredtx Active Member

12. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

That's because in this culture too, you're discouraged from thinking outside the box. Conformity makes it easier for the powers that be to achieve their goals.

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Of course you can wear an undershirt with business attire, but no one should be able to see it. A v-neck is necessary with an unbuttoned shirt. You can wear a v-neck with a buttoned shirt as well, but it is better if no one can see the outline through your shirt. This is where tight-fitting skin-colored moisture-wicking undershirts come in handy.

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

I have a pair of flannel, charcoal gray trousers with small checks that I've been wearing for business casual. Is this a no-go?

I will also very occasionally wear a suit with no tie, but the shirt must be obviously casual. For example, in the evening I'll sometimes wear a charcoal gray suit with a blue/gray (small) paisley shirt. Under no circumstances will I wear a shirt that could be mistaken for a business shirt (solid, stripe, check or most plaids).

Edit: I'm really enjoying the forum recently, though the threads are exploding too fast for me to follow (Manton, you're on fire lately). The forum reminds me of "the good old days" that older posters sometimes lament.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  15. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I see your Dave Kingman and raise you Willie Stargell ... [​IMG]