• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the worst job interview question!

Max82

Reaction score
What's the worst job interview question??
I hate when they ask me "What's yoour weakness?"I never know what to say!!!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The solution is to not interview at ****** companies that ask such trite questions.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
back squat bro

you can never have a big enough back squat

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its designed to throw you off. They want to know how you react under stress. And most people are too proud to prepare a response. An answer along the lines of 'lack of technical expertise but that you have confidence in your ability to learn quickly' is probably the best thing you can say for most firms.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max82
What's the worst job interview question??
I hate when they ask me "What's yoour weakness?"I never know what to say!!!

Apart from the obvious -'gee, where do I start?" ??
had this question in an interview yesterday. I said my greatest strength and greatest weakness are linked (eg Im a good communicator and love working thru probs in an open and honest team environment, but at same time i can be excessively sensitive to criticism) - shows some self awareness, with luck gets the panel thinking and diverts attention

pollies do it: answer the question u wanted them to ask, not the one they do ask

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't terribly common, but I had someone ask me "Would you rather fail to reject a hypothesis (when you should reject) or reject a hypothesis (when you shouldn't have)?"

My immediate reaction to myself was "that's meaningless," because this wasn't an arena where you really have to worry; you just care about the results one way or another. But not knowing what to say, and not wanting to say what I thought of this question, I just shrugged my shoulders and picked one with a shake of my head and, what I'm sure was a look of confusion.

I returned home afterwards and asked my former econometrics prof about it and her first response was "that question makes no sense."

That was positively my worst interview ever.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I think my rule applies to whatever company asked you that word-salad.

XeF4

Reaction score
You are suppose to say something like "my biggest weakness is i try too hard" or your are too pasionate about your work or some **** along those lines.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any interviewer worth his salt wouldn't ask the question, but if they do, I'd hope they'd be able to look right through the answer given above.

Sure you're supposed to turn a weakness into a strength, but it should be at least somewhat of a weakness.

I've used...I tend to get too focused on the details and can struggle to see the big picture. For a details job, this is a good answer, if you're running a department, its not gonna fly

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i went to a career workshop last friday and basically i was told that

you should say something that is a legitimate weakness of yours, but one that you are actively trying to overcome and have had some success with overcoming it

the talker gave a personal example. he said he has issues with being impatient and being detailed enough. to overcome it he said at a former company he tried to take on projects that were super detail orientated and worked at it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only correct answer to the weakness question is Kryptonite. Say it with a straight face and then "next stupid question".

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"I have never had a weakness that materially impacted how I performed my job. However <insert weakness and how you fixed it here.>"

Shows that while you realize you are not perfect you have also never been in a situation where your shortfalls hurt the organization.

imschatz

Reaction score
Q: &quot;How would you go about testing the accuracy of a survey sample?&quot;
A: &quot;I'm an econometrician, not a statistician&quot; (mind you this was the 5-6th question along these lines)

Result: I didn't get the job, but I didn't really want it anyways. Was using it as practice for jobs I actually wanted. I really wish companies would put half as much effort in developing solid job descriptions, as they do in developing these BS interview questions.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
This isn't terribly common, but I had someone ask me "Would you rather fail to reject a hypothesis (when you should reject) or reject a hypothesis (when you shouldn't have)?"

My immediate reaction to myself was "that's meaningless," because this wasn't an arena where you really have to worry; you just care about the results one way or another. But not knowing what to say, and not wanting to say what I thought of this question, I just shrugged my shoulders and picked one with a shake of my head and, what I'm sure was a look of confusion.

I returned home afterwards and asked my former econometrics prof about it and her first response was "that question makes no sense."

That was positively my worst interview ever.

This is actually a quite interesting question. Nothing I'd ever expect to get in an interview .. but interesting nonetheless. For what it's worth .. this is asking "would you rather make a type I or type II error" .. and the correct answer is "it depends".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads