1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

the worst job interview question!

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Max82, May 25, 2011.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I know a guy who answered "my weakness is that tend to beat up people who disagree with me" he then proceeded to laugh. He got the job and it was one of those serious management thing. I'm not kidding.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Nah .. just providing some background on the "problem". I've heard it 3-4 times before .. you seemed to be thinking about it, so just providing the info to facilitate the thinking [​IMG]

Thinking is done, I'm more of a theoritical guy really, too lazy to get out a sheet of paper and actually do it and what's more, I hardly remember how. I can do the logic thing cause it's philo but the rest is so so.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I like this, if the interview is going well this probably a great way to buy yourself some time to reformulate your canned answer if you have one.

That is my canned answer. They give one of those closed-mouth grins and then move on to the important stuff like what color leather I want in my company car.

4. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Thinking is done, I'm more of a theoritical guy really, too lazy to get out a sheet of paper and actually do it and what's more, I hardly remember how. I can do the logic thing cause it's philo but the rest is so so.

Just curious, but what was your major and/or job? You seem astoundingly well read/travelled for a young guy.

5. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

Piobaire hook up with Manton and see if he allows you to author an addendum to his book, "Reasons to wear a suit: Section 1: Job Interview" You do have very elegant answers to these questions. I approve. [​IMG]
    "I have never had a weakness that materially impacted how I performed my job. However <insert weakness and how you fixed it here.>" Shows that while you realize you are not perfect you have also never been in a situation where your shortfalls hurt the organization.

6. Meis

Meis Senior member

Generally, I think the strength/weakness questions and where do you see yourself in X years questions are the worst. It just seems like the interviewer put no thought in coming up with questions that were particularly relevant for the job being interviewed for (unless said job is as a carnival strongman or a palm reader or something).

A couple years back I was asked both of these questions by the interviewers (2 of them) when I interviewed for a city government paid-internship. After I answered, I then asked them what sort of work I'd be doing during the internship. They looked at each other, went 'ummm' and then eventually gave one of those half assed answers that isn't really an answer at all. Yep, they were doing interviews and not only couldn't come up with decent questions, they didn't even know what the person they were hiring was going to do (and one of the women that was conducting the interview was going to be directly overseeing the position I was interviewing for).

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Just curious, but what was your major and/or job? You seem astoundingly well read/travelled for a young guy.

I'm not a young guy, I just look (and think) like one. I'm closer to Iammatt's or GDL's age (so positively ancient) than SWD age.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

That is my canned answer. They give one of those closed-mouth grins and then move on to the important stuff like what color leather I want in my company car.

[​IMG]

Are you actually 100% serious? I have several interviews coming up and I'm actually seriously, really, tempted to use that.

Please tell me whether you're joking around or not.

9. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I'm not a young guy, I just look (and think) like one. I'm closer to Iammatt's or GDL's age (so positively ancient) than SWD age.

You're fifty? [​IMG]

10. StephenHero

[​IMG] Are you actually 100% serious? .
    Yes, but I have a public demeanor that is very lighthearted and slightly on the the "don't really give a shit" side. I've got a very stern/masculine face and voice, so I always try to overcompensate on the side of cheeriness. I also send my resume in advance and there are a couple explicit jokes inside, so they know where I'm coming from beforehand. Be careful though.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

You're fifty? [​IMG]
    They're both late thirties, If I was wearing a toga and had disciples I'd die this year. I picture you as Lonsdale so I'll just assume you think we're youngins.

12. Eason

Eason Senior member

For my current job I was actually asked this series of questions in my interview:

There are three doors in front of you, behind one door is a prize, what is the probability that you will choose the door with the prize behind it?

Then, if before you made your decision one of the doors you were not going to choose was opened revealing that there was no prize behind that door in order to increase the probability of selecting the door with the prize behind it would you stick with your original selection, or would you decide to change your mind and select the other unopened door, or does it not matter and why?

Think about it.

Goats and ferraris is a classic statistical probability problem, was this a statistics job?

13. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

They're both late thirties, If I was wearing a toga and had disciples I'd die this year. I picture you as Lonsdale so I'll just assume you think we're youngins.

I always picture iammatt as Errol Flynn.

14. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

This is actually a quite interesting question. Nothing I'd ever expect to get in an interview .. but interesting nonetheless. For what it's worth .. this is asking "would you rather make a type I or type II error" .. and the correct answer is "it depends".

Not to get too off-topic, but in this case it clearly did not matter. Simplified example: if you're testing a new pharamceutical that may or may not have a side effect of death, it matters a lot to fail to reject the hypothesis "this drug will not kill people." But this job was nothing like that. It just would not have mattered. The only thing I would have been concerned with was the straight-forward outcome of the analysis.

And I wouldn't be doing that sort of work anyway. Fuckers. I'm still kind of pissed about it and it was something like 12 years ago.

b

15. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Hmm. That's not a terrible question for my field

Ahh, Homer beat me to it. Exactly.

For my current job I was actually asked this series of questions in my interview:

There are three doors in front of you, behind one door is a prize, what is the probability that you will choose the door with the prize behind it?
    Think about it.

The classic Let's Make a Deal question. You always switch. Your odds of getting the prize go from 1/3 to 2/3. This is a situation where I would go strictly with the probability. I don't know why people get emotional about this stuff.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bayes' Theorem. Change Doors

Goats and ferraris is a classic statistical probability problem, was this a statistics job?

The classic Let's Make a Deal question. You always switch. Your odds of getting the prize go from 1/3 to 2/3. This is a situation where I would go strictly with the probability. I don't know why people get emotional about this stuff.

Bayes' Theorem. Change Doors

All correct! The job does deal with a lot of stats. They told me it wasn't a formal question that they ask, but I seem to be statistically inclined so they were curious.

17. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I was once asked in an interview &quot;Why is the sky blue?&quot; The woman interviewing was very attractive so I assume she got it out of some book about how to get people who think on the spot or are thown a curve ball.

18. StephenHero

I was once asked in an interview "Why is the sky blue?" The woman interviewing was very attractive so I assume she got it out of some book about how to get people who think on the spot or are thown a curve ball.

Was it one of those marketing firms that really "thinks outside the box"?

19. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

A friend who works for Google was asked during the interview how many golf balls will fit into a 747.

I would google it. He didn't tell me his answer.

20. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Was it one of those marketing firms that really "thinks outside the box"?

Basically.