The Worst Dressed City Ever... Of All Time

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Yes, beautiful, quaint city. It's the Camden of the east.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Well sir, I'm here to tell you that they aren't. lol

Seriously, what people don't understand about places like this is that life goes on. It really does. Even in the midst of war. These people DO care about what they are wearing and they think they are cock of the walk. We aren't talking about some African refugee who wears horrible clothes because that's all they could get through the donations of others. These are people who purposefully dress the way they do and think it looks great. People get this image of Baghdad that I don't think is at all accurate.

4. Caustic Man

This is absolutely correct. As I said, I spend much time in Dubai as well and the gentlemen there wear their traditional dress exceptionally well. You will be hard pressed to see an Emirati not wearing a pressed dish dash with a perfectly folded yashmagh. It's a matter of pride.

5. Caustic Man

There were some summer days when I wish I could have.

6. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Let's agree to disagree.

7. Caustic Man

Forgotten about it already. =o)

8. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Best dressed and worst dressed lists are inherently flippant, so it's best to limit the ranking universe to one's home country or region, I think.

I live in San Francisco. Thank God for Portland.

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Indeed. When the temperature is 120F and the humidity nearly 100% in the UAE I look with great envy at my clients who are wearing their loose fitting cotton or linen dishdash and sandals while I roast away in my suit, tie, socks and leather shoes. They definitely have the attire to match the climate. I frankly would be happy to wear what they wear if it were considered acceptable. But they would take great offense I believe.

10. forex

forex Senior member

^^You could wear linen suits as well, could you not or would they still take offense?

11. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Tailors are like this, in one way or another, all over the world; I speak from experience having had bespoke stuff made on SR to HK to back here in the US. They see themselves as your personal stylist, most likely because they have another tailor in the back who's doing the actual work, and they need to justify that dynamic (the cutter's pride). The difference between a good and bad tailor however is whether they LISTEN and ACCEPT your requests, even if they do so grudgingly (which will be almost always). In the third or developing world (which I assume it's safe to say Iraq falls into), the only way you have any hope of success is to just give them something to copy. Once you pick up the inevitably crappy copy, come back a few days later, point out some things you'd like to fix, and offer to pay more to have these 'alterations' done (yes, I know they should have fixed them for you during a fitting); this saves the face of the tailor and makes him more willing to do the changes he'd resist at a fitting. Maddening yes, but it works.

12. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

This is, simultaneously, the most ridiculous and the most sublime thread I have ever seen on style forum.

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Yes - I would think linen suits would be acceptable. But I personally have a hard time with their insistence on looking rumpled in high heat AND humidity. And I don't believe I've encountered one in a business setting in the ME so far. I prefer uber light weight wool. I have a couple of suits that are so lightweight they are nearly like tissue. Nothing however, can be done about the buttoned up collar, tie, shoes and socks. Things are pretty formal in the ME business world.

14. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quite. What a completely tasteless OP. Coming up next: why aren't the Japanese tsunami survivors wearing proper boat shoes? [​IMG]

This need to be moved to Dumb Threads ASAP.

15. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

There are some bad threads around here... But this one takes the cake. Seriously, at the very least let's narrow down the playing field and not point fingers to war torn places in the parts of the world most Americans would associate with the second, if not the third, world.

If I were the OP, I'd redefine the thread by asking the following question: Where in this world can you still wear stylish attire w/o being perceived as a peacock by the majority of the local population. My experience suggests that outside up-scale areas of major cities you'll be an outsider if you dare to mention things like bespoke clothing and how one may not pull off wearing chukka boots with suits unless those boots are on a right last.

Also, you can use a different formula and grade by what people can afford vs. what they wear. If so, then all American cities should get the first place.