• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The World Has Turned Upside Down

kennethpollock

Reaction score
We leave for Paris in 12 days. After 6 days there, visiting E****t (banned) and the lovely Katia, it is off to London. We are staying at Claridges, the grandest hostelery in the Kingdom. I am taking my very finest finery to wear in the most elegant restaurants in town.
To find those places, I opened my 2006 "Time-Out London Eating and Drinking" guide and looked for the Mirabelle in Mayfair, since I know it has been one of London's grandest for many decades. The first sentence in the guide:
"Mirabelle would be fabulously glamorous, were it not for the dominance of male diners in suits."
?????
What would make it glamorous? What if they were wearing jeans, sweatshirts and caps? Maybe black silk t-shirts, pony-tails and earrings?
Someone explain this all to me. I must be from another century.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a Londoner, Bouji, who posted here a few months ago who went into this. Aparently, nowdays Londoners only wear a suit and tie to dinner when it's a business function. Suits have become associated with expense-accounted City boys who tend to behave themselves like little twats and not be particularly interested in food as anything other than a show of wealth. So, combine this overall bad feeling with the fact that business dinners are anything but glamorous, and you have the reasons for Time Out's judgement.

The Time Out food guides are extraordinarily good though, I think because of both their exhaustiveness and holisitc evaluations (i.e., inclusive of both food and atmosphere, and the interplay between the two.)

And incidentally, while dining surrounded by men in suits can be most enjoyable (particularly if cigars and steaks are involved), I do agree that it's far less glamorous than being surrounded by lithe twentysomething women in Miu Miu dresses.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I feel utter glamour would be achieved by men in shorts.

Welcome to my world.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wondered why all my stuff was on the ceiling.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ken, baby, where you been the last 15 years? If the above is your reference, the dining world in London's been upside down for at least 15 years...

BTW, I had a great idea for how you can solve ernest's problems (unless you prefer him to keep them so he can stay being your schadenfreude freak show) -- can you get him on your friend Springer's show? I'm sure he'd have enough incendiary things to say and he seems pugnacious enough!

Kaga

Reaction score
Pollock-san:
Please try entering a restaurant wearing a bespoke lace jabot. That will teach you the true meaning of intolerance.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet another indignity that must be suffered for KP who holds the ways of Western Europe in.....

Ahhh sod it. Maybe the Londoners will be so impressed with your finery that they will all revert back to their previous ways. Or maybe....

K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Kaga-san, you're priceless!

Agreed! Kaga-san wins the "SF member that I would most like to meet" award. If you ever return to your homeland please let Nantucket Red and I know.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I feel utter glamour would be achieved by men in shorts.

I agree. It seems the perfect place to wear shorts. From the Mirabelle's website:

"Mirabelle in London's Curzon Street has always been glamorous. This famous gastronomic address of the 1950's, that boasted a regular clientele including Princess Margaret, Princess Grace, Lord Althrop, and Liz Taylor, has been re-created, and is, once more, one of London's most sophisticated and sought after dining rooms. This is a sleek venue, where the menu is matched by a wine list of which dreams are made."
http://www.whitestarline.org.uk/Mira...Restaurant.htm

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Will you bring your silver wine basket? And speak French?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Don't forget your baseball cap.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
There was a Londoner, Bouji, who posted here a few months ago who went into this. Aparently, nowdays Londoners only wear a suit and tie to dinner when it's a business function. Suits have become associated with expense-accounted City boys who tend to behave themselves like little twats and not be particularly interested in food as anything other than a show of wealth. So, combine this overall bad feeling with the fact that business dinners are anything but glamorous, and you have the reasons for Time Out's judgement.

The Time Out food guides are extraordinarily good though, I think because of both their exhaustiveness and holisitc evaluations (i.e., inclusive of both food and atmosphere, and the interplay between the two.)

And incidentally, while dining surrounded by men in suits can be most enjoyable (particularly if cigars and steaks are involved), I do agree that it's far less glamorous than being surrounded by lithe twentysomething women in Miu Miu dresses.

Could not have said it better myself... and this just shows that KP was not paying attention the first time, because the first time I said it, I addresed my post to him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads