• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The World Cup starts in 5 days...

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
No, Europeans say we are arrogant, unsophisticated, and militaristic.

Yeah, those too. Thanks for completing the set.
sarcasm.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the high speed collisions where the tackler is protected by armor that makes American football more damgerous than rugby. Hell, I'll take some minor lacerations over a brain hemorrage any day. Geez, did no one read my post
plain.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
FN was denied rights to carry the World Cup games. I don't even like soccer and I'm pissed off.

Oh, and where's waldo? He's pretty cool
sarcasm.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Indeed. Also both France and the US say that they are better countires than each other...

Jon.

They are.

waldo pepper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Um, no. When you start trying to cherry-pick facts about a subject you know nothing about, you know you should give up the argument. American football players don't wear "sneakers". When playing on grass, they wear cleats ("studs"). When playing on artificial turf they wear special athletic shoes with a sole specially designed for that surface. Also, picking the lightest and heaviest players from a football roster tells you nothing useful in this context. Most likely, the 178 pound player was a kicker or punter, a specialized player who for all intents and purposes does not participate in the "normal" part of the game.

It tells you everything useful when the original point was that they need helmets,padding etc...because the big guys are hitting the little guys.If the little guys don't even get on the field then that argument is non existent.
As I said I know very little about it apart from outside of the USA nobody could give a toss about it.Whereas outside of the USA,football is a phenomenom,with billions upon billions of fans.
One final point when I have watched US football the players do about 5 minutes and get dragged off blowing out of their arses but the rugby lads do the full 80 minutes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by waldo pepper
It tells you everything useful when the original point was that they need helmets,padding etc...because the big guys are hitting the little guys.If the little guys don't even get on the field then that argument is non existent.
As I said I know very little about it apart from outside of the USA nobody could give a toss about it.Whereas outside of the USA,football is a phenomenom,with billions upon billions of fans.
One final point when I have watched US football the players do about 5 minutes and get dragged off blowing out of their arses but the rugby lads do the full 80 minutes.

I like both rugby and American football. They are both tough, physical games. In rugby, endurance is more of a factor. American football, however, is more dangerous.

waldo pepper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Serie B if they're lucky!
laugh.gif

Yes, Italy has a big problem w/ the ultras/tifosi.

Di Canio is an animal and self-admitted fascist, and an asshole to boot. All intra-city derbys are tense affairs, to the point of creating an almost incendiary atmosphere. Add to that the fact that Roman fans historically divided along political and class lines (Lazio supported by wealthier, 'right wing', suburban-dwellers vs. Roma's working-class, 'left wing', inhabitants of the city center) and you've got a real potboiler. This distinction has blurred in recent years, and the Roma curva has (sadly) seen the entrance of a right wing element.

"I would add that I recently went to a baseball game in DC with my Italian friend. As we walked up to our seats, he noted that the atmosphere was so much different than at the San Siro. "There is much less tension," he said, noting that American baseball fans treated the game like a picnic or a festival."

I would imagine he did not necessarily mean this was a good thing - "tension" or "atmoshpere" is what makes games so exciting.....

I don't expect you to like DiCanio with you being a Roma fan but when the guy played in England he was a breath of fresh air.
He was responsible for one of the greatest acts of sportsmanship I have seen,when a cross came in and he had an opportunity to score in an empty net but caught the ball because the keeper was down injured.
As for being a fascist,its not great but at least he admits it instead of hiding.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by waldo pepper

Rugby is a waste of time "tweener" sport between the man's game (football) and the beautiful game (football).

waldo pepper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I like both rugby and American football. They are both tough, physical games. In rugby, endurance is more of a factor. American football, however, is more dangerous.

Ok..I put up a good fight but I will stand corrected,you obvoiusly know your stuff.
smile.gif

1 day 21 hours 52 minutes
tongue.gif

waldo pepper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Rugby is a waste of time "tweener" sport between the man's game (football) and the beautiful game (football).
Do you mean US football or football?

tommib

Reaction score
I'm English and I hate the weeks when everyone goes football mental.

Imagine having to see cars with the England flag driving around everywhere and yobs shouting and chanting in the street. Where I live football hooligans are a real nuisance, they're intimidating as well.

To the person who said England have got a good track record, think again. They should all be sent to some kind of makeshift alcatraz. Maybe build a giant wall around wolverhampton or something and put them all in there. Then we could get some peace and quiet.

And if England go out in an early round, I'm going to be scared to leave my house. Oh yeah and watch Football Factory, not Green Street, its rubbish!

T

waldo pepper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Well, fine. It wasn't my intention to debate which sport is "better" or even "more manly", both of which seem pretty pointless. Just to point out that you were seizing on "fact" that weren't particularly accurate (understandable in discussing a game you don't follow and don't give a "toss" about)

Well fascism isnt great is it?

The original point was that US F is tougher than rugby because big guys hit little guys,by looking on the roster it PROVED that the difference between the biggest and smallest was not much different to rugby therefore disproving the theory.

I don't even particularly like rugby I just get tired of Americans getting on their high horses about sports that nobody outside the US plays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads