The wingtip thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by apropos, Nov 5, 2009.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

2. Mark it 8

Mark it 8 Senior member

What do you guys think of these as far as versatility? Would these be okay with jeans and with a suit?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

What do you guys think of these as far as versatility? Would these be okay with jeans and with a suit? [​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    It seems that a dress shoe's versatility depends on the style (blucher or balmoral? wing-tip?), texture/finish (pebble-grain? gloss finish?), color, and the type of pants with which you plan to wear it. Those shoes are more casual because they are bluchers, but they also have a more glossy finish. Personally, I'd wear them with jeans, but other SF users might advise you to go for a more casual-looking finish. (But if you do that, the shoe might be less appropriate for a suit!)

4. bearsfan172

bearsfan172 Senior member

Who makes a nice pair of more modern wingtips. Like just a single stitch creating the wingtip shape and a slim silhouette throughout? I saw a pair of Vass ones that I liked (can't find the picture now) but I just don't have that type of money for shoes. Edit: Like these for example (posted on an earlier page but no brand listed) http://img248.imageshack.us/i/1984rushdennoble.jpg/ Not exactly that necessarily, but that is the idea I am going for Price range around $300, andin a dark to medium brown

5. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

What do you guys think of these as far as versatility? Would these be okay with jeans and with a suit?

[​IMG]

Great with jeans, cords, moleskins. Could work with a heavier tweed suit, but that's about it. Could work very well with heavier sportcoats and wool pants or on a casual Friday. I'd say they are pretty versatile.

I like those shoes. They look like RL/C&J Darltons. Are they shell cordovan?

6. Mark it 8

Mark it 8 Senior member

Who makes a nice pair of more modern wingtips. Like just a single stitch creating the wingtip shape and a slim silhouette throughout? I saw a pair of Vass ones that I liked (can't find the picture now) but I just don't have that type of money for shoes.

Edit: Like these for example (posted on an earlier page but no brand listed)
    http://img248.imageshack.us/i/1984rushdennoble.jpg/

Not exactly that necessarily, but that is the idea I am going for

Price range around $300, andin a dark to medium brown

Those are Grenson Noble wingtips.

Great with jeans, cords, moleskins. Could work with a heavier tweed suit, but that's about it. Could work very well with heavier sportcoats and wool pants or on a casual Friday. I'd say they are pretty versatile.

I like those shoes. They look like RL/C&J Darltons. Are they shell cordovan?

No, they are "crup." I dont know what that is, but it is nice. Here is the link: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...&colour_id=127

7. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

8. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

9. Mark it 8

Mark it 8 Senior member

Crup is shell cordovan.

Guess I should've googled. [​IMG]

10. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

i love this design, churches grafton i would love to get it whisky or saddle shell

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

What do you guys think of these as far as versatility? Would these be okay with jeans and with a suit? [​IMG]
    Great shoes and nice shape. Wear them with anything you like. I love the colour of them. I would gladly wear them with combo's and suits. Those of us who have high insteps do sometimes wear bluchers with suits, no matter the old school rules.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Great shoes and nice shape. Wear them with anything you like. I love the colour of them.
    I would gladly wear them with combo's and suits.
    Those of us who have high insteps do sometimes wear bluchers with suits, no matter the old school rules.

Terrific looking shoes for those who enjoy a heavy shoe. I have a high instep and find them to be most comfortable even with my suits, besides, I love the look.

13. dappledown

dappledown Senior member

C&J Cliffords [​IMG]

14. apropos

apropos Senior member

15. dappledown

dappledown Senior member

^ looks good, dd. I also liked the suit you posted in WAYWRN.

Thanks! Glad you liked it! I'm into shoes more than cloths and suits though[​IMG] But now that i got my first bespoke number I'm getting addicted...