• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wide Fitting Shoe Trading Post (EEE / G width)

Mendel272

Reaction score

So, gentlemen, sadly, my trip to Armoury NY yielded no dice. I couldn't even fit my toes into the Rain 10.5 and 11 D Carmina U-tip they stock (gorgeous shoe in tobacco suede, btw). Based on this, I doubt that even a stock Detroit would be wide enough for me. I need something between 1/4 to 1/2 inch wider than D Rain. Looks like I'm a true 3E.

So....if there are 5 other Rain 3E gents in here who would like to go in on an MTO derby, monk, or boot (I'm open to any possibilities except bals), let's join forces!

I'd be in for a cordovan brogued boot or derby shortwing, or perhaps a chukka? In any case, I'm interested, depending on design

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be in for a cordovan brogued boot or derby shortwing, or perhaps a chukka? In any case, I'm interested, depending on design

I'm pretty sure Carmina still won't do GMTOs in shell. Only single MTOs.

But I would be down for any of those options in suede, calf, or grain.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So gents...

Any traction for a grain or suede chukka or derby? Maybe shortwing blucher? Rain last 3E? Leather sole?

Sudonihm

Reaction score

So gents...

Any traction for a grain or suede chukka or derby? Maybe shortwing blucher? Rain last 3E? Leather sole?

I'm interested in concept, but worried about sizing. Any idea how the rain 3e or Detroit last compare to the Cheaney 11028 G fit or AE 65 last in EEE? I've been searching for a burgundy derby.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Sale
I have a Ferragamo tramezza special editon black derby at B & S, SIZE 6 EEE (US 7D i think), It's a beauty and fully hand-made, check it out~
smile.gif

can trade for other shoes in small sizes like US 6-6.5D, EU39-39.5, open to offers (I am fit in santoni 5F and ferragamo tramezza 5.5EE)~

I think we need a small size shoe trading post
nod[1].gif

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm interested in concept, but worried about sizing. Any idea how the rain 3e or Detroit last compare to the Cheaney 11028 G fit or AE 65 last in EEE? I've been searching for a burgundy derby.

That's great so we already have 4 out of 6 "in theory" pending sizing determination.

I wear 10.5 3E in the AE 5 last, and the 10 UK Rain last I tried on at Armoury was two fittings too narrow for me. However, I have since learned that Armoury orders their Rain lasts in a narrower fitting, so I need to get another crack at it. It's possible that the "wide" fitting will work rather than extra wide. I am also eager to try Detroit but there don't seem to be any retailers who carry this last near me (NYC).

I have an Enzo Bonafe chukka en route to me on the 976 last, which is said to fit similarly to Rain, in size 10 H UK. We'll see how that goes. I'll report back here shortly, and perhaps create a thread in the GMTO forum this weekend with options, etc.

But I super excited about the idea of a Rain suede chukka!

Last edited:

rc121

Reaction score

That's great so we already have 4 out of 6 "in theory" pending sizing determination.

I wear 10.5 3E in the AE 5 last, and the 10 UK Rain last I tried on at Armoury was two fittings too narrow for me. However, I have since learned that Armoury orders their Rain lasts in a narrower fitting, so I need to get another crack at it. It's possible that the "wide" fitting will work rather than extra wide. I am also eager to try Detroit but there don't seem to be any retailers who carry this last near me (NYC).

I have an Enzo Bonafe chukka en route to me on the 976 last, which is said to fit similarly to Rain, in size 10 H UK. We'll see how that goes. I'll report back here shortly, and perhaps create a thread in the GMTO forum this weekend with options, etc.

But I super excited about the idea of a Rain suede chukka!
I wear an 8EEE in AE and own a 7.5 EEE in rain. There are a lot of fit issues with rain, the two main ones being way less room in the midfoot over the laces and the heel being too wide and causing a lot of heel slip.

I really wanted a Carmina last to work since they are great shoes at great prices right now, but people think rain is already a wide last and the extra wide might fit us EEE guys. But standard rain is really only a US D width, making the extra wide version only an E.

I may still try soller or detroit and just size up, I wish they were available in wider widths.

Sudonihm

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I am selling my Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue Dress Shoes in Dark Brown, bought as Firsts, size 7 (US) EEE. Unfortunately, the 65 last just doesn't work for my foot. Worn less than 10 times and in fantastic shape. Thanks!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My expensive Enzo Bonafe experiment was unfortunately unsuccessful. These gorgeous plum museum chukka boots in UK 10 H (extra extra wide) on the ultra-chiseled 946 last just don't fit my feet right. Technically the sizing (ball to heel) is perfect (I wear 10.5 3E in AE and 10.5 E alden Barrie), but the toe box taper is just too severe for my left foot specifically.

And even so, the ball is still somewhat snug, though the calf is pretty soft and I suppose they will stretch a little. I don't think that this is a "true H" but rather an incremental increase at the ball only.

Too bad, because these are really the best-finished shoes I've owned (if a mite dandy).

I would say that the closest US approximation I can make for these size wise is the AE 333 last size 10 3E or the 7 last (MacNeil) in 10.5 E. It's possible I could go up a length in the left foot alone (if possible to order a mismatched pair), but then I worry that the instep (already a little too high for me) would cause an additional fit issue.

I wonder how the wide version of Bonafe's almond last would work for me, but I'm now wary of further expensive experiments.

Enjoy the pics! I'll probably be listing them on BS soon.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pepper,

I would have a cobbler stretch those bad boys for sure.

The cord foot bed settling and the cobbler stretch may indeed produce one of the best fits imaginable...

Just a thought...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pepper,

I would have a cobbler stretch those bad boys for sure.

The cord foot bed settling and the cobbler stretch may indeed produce one of the best fits imaginable...

Just a thought...

Thanks Joel. I have no experience with stretching. Will it ruin the shape and integrity of the toe box (left toebox is where I have problem)? Also I wonder if it will affect the marble finish.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joel. I have no experience with stretching. Will it ruin the shape and integrity of the toe box (left toebox is where I have problem)? Also I wonder if it will affect the marble finish.

Calfskin is known for its innate ability to stretch over time.

If it is only one shoe that is problematic, then B. Nelson could help.

The answer to your questions are no and no.

Should not any integrity of the shoes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads