1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The white summer suit.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kapay, May 5, 2006.

1. kapay

kapay Well-Known Member

Castro Valley, Oakland, San Francisco California
    Would a white suit be suitable in any situation? I'm a young university art student and tend to have a penchant for white clothing. I've always liked the idea of a white suit but more times than not, I've seen then worn really poorly a la basketball players with loose 5 button suits or tight and gawdy like a washed out art major/rockstar.

Also being a college student, I'm on a budget so does anyone have a recomendation on brands. I know most people here tend to lean toward less commercial brands but would brands like Banana Republic or Express Men be a no-no? Banana Republic currently has a white 2-button linen suit. Other sugestions other than white would be okay too.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

Didn't this question crop up recently either here or AAAC? I'll let someone else dig out the link.

My answer is that they're cool for garden parties and similar occasions but that I prefer off-white/cream rather than pure white. I do occasionally wear them to work in the height of summer, but only rarely.

3. kapay

kapay Well-Known Member

Whoops. Soory if this topic has been discussed recently. I searched but based on thread titles I didn't see any that looked to be related.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

de Plane, de Plane

6. kapay

kapay Well-Known Member

I like them but they're not for the office.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/F...TOPIC_ID=22384

Yeah, I don't intend on ever using it for the office. Just as a casual suit for a party or gathering perhaps. Or whenever I'm feeling cheery.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Distinguished Member

Maybe this is a little out there, but...

College students aren't exactly known for their adherence to sanctified standards of dress so it seems to me to be a good place to wear whatever makes me happy. Last week of class (last week, in fact) I wore my cream/light oatmeal linen suit with an icey blue shirt (open necked!!), white linen pocket square and fedora to class. And I'm on the East Coast. The comments whenever I wear a suit are generally quite supportive, unless you count the 'good luck with the interview' ones, which are even supportive in their own little incorrect way.

You are both in college and the land of sunshine. So if if you like white suits, I say rock it. Personally, I odn't think I could pull off dead white, maybe ivory, but if you can, props. Anyone gives you a hard time, just tell them you're a rebel.

Regards,
    Huntsman

8. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Anyone gives you a hard time, just tell them you're a rebel.

Or, flash the neener you got hidden under your white suit coat. [​IMG]

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Distinguished Member

It's actually a forty-five.

Though, I have too much respect for the rights of my college to prohibit firearms on the campus to carry one there. Even with the recent muggings where I walk twice daily.

~ Huntsman

ps. The tenth google hit for 'neener slang' is a page at AAAC. Neato.

10. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

I would suggest that you get something in a cream or very, very light tan rather than a dead white. The white seems to radiate more. The offwhite seems to blend better with other colors that you might want to add with the shirt and tie. Without blazing the eye of the beholder.

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Stylish Dinosaur

12. odoreater

It's actually a forty-five.

Though, I have too much respect for the rights of my college to prohibit firearms on the campus to carry one there. Even with the recent muggings where I walk twice daily.

~ Huntsman

ps. The tenth google hit for 'neener slang' is a page at AAAC. Neato.

Wow, that's weird, the urban dictionary didn't even have the definition of the word as I was using it. Haha, the best place to learn what a neener is is AAAC. [​IMG]

Nevertheless, back to the topic at hand, yeah, flashing the 45 would probably get a similar, or even more desireable reaction from white suit critics as would the neener.

13. odoreater

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=216

Is it wearable in NYC in the summer, or not?

Sure, it's wearable in NYC in the summer. Why wouldn't it be? Would I wear it? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean that it's not wearable.

The guy that hosts "Distraction" on comedy central seems to pull off suits that look similar to that one that you linked to quite well.

14. kapay

kapay Well-Known Member

So what do people feel about brands like Banana Republic or Express Men?

15. odoreater

So what do people feel about brands like Banana Republic or Express Men?

I think that they're not constructed as well as some other suits might be. But, if it fits you well (and fit is really the most important consideration), looks good on you, and the price is right then go for it.