1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The White Shirt Poll

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kaxixi, Apr 14, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

A few more unsupported, sweeping generalizations and you'll have enough for a book.[​IMG]

How do you know one isn't already in the words?

Working title: Fief to Foof: the Road to Sartorial Wealth.

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I voted "occasionally" but it verges on "rarely". French cuff only -- all my barrel cuff dress shirts are non-white.

Now, for summer casual wear, I have a LOT of white shirts (both linen and cotton) -- maybe too many.

3. hip_priest

hip_priest Active Member

If I'm wearing a suit and tie, I always wear a white cotton shirt. I have tried blue in the past, but always want to get back to white.

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

How do you know one isn't already in the words? Working title: Fief to Foof: the Road to Sartorial Wealth.
    Rich Foof Poor Foof
    is catchier

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rich Foof Poor Foof is catchier

Noted.

6. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Out of 20 or so shirts I have only one (not counting evening shirts) a bespoke T&A in Sea Island cotton herringbone. It is a very nice shirt, and I do probably wear it disproportionately often - but still no more than once every two weeks. My complexion (blonde, pale) really doesn't work very well with white. Like cream even less (just doesn't look right) and tend to wear plain blue shirts (herringbone, or some other weave with a bit of texture) or striped shirts (blue on white; or if I am feeling adventurous blue + x on white) 70% of the time. The only exception to my blue preference is pink. Really like pink shirts - just got a new pink shirt from Sean O'Flynn today (in a slightly muted pink Oxford from Alumo)

On a bit of a tangent, also decided to get some linens and cotton-linens made up for summer (blue and blue on white stripe you'll be surprised to hear). Can't wait to see how they turn out

7. lockjaw

lockjaw Well-Known Member

If I wear a white shirt, it is OCBD as part of a regular work shirt rotation.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

After years of wearing mostly blue, I converted to white over the last 6+ years. I am a jeans, white shirt, tailored jacket kinda guy.

However, I have begun leaning towards more solid blue, especially end-on-end recently.

9. forex

forex Senior member

I noticed I haven't been buying much whites,trying to get more white shirts now,nothing wrong with wearing a white shirt,that said,I probably won't wear it more than once a week.

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Love white OCBDs for casual wear and linen/linen cotton blends for summer. Only wear a white dress shirt when the situation demands it.

11. broogiedad

broogiedad New Member

I have around 12 pressed white shirts in my closet at home. I also keep one at my office. I wear them all the time. I have found that a crisp white shirt always works.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

white works great with an odd jacket.

Sometimes the heavy pattern on an odd jacket looks too busy with a patterned shirt.

13. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I'm starting to appreciate the clean look of a nice white shirt - maybe because I started with a bunch of striped and patterned ones that I am getting a little tired of. I wear a suit most days of the week and usually without a tie. I only have two white shirts, but if and when I get new shirts, I would get at least two more.