The White Shirt Poll

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kaxixi, Apr 14, 2009.

1. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

The topic of white shirts comes up now and again, including recently on WAYWN. I would like to know how often members wear a white shirt when you wear a suit and tie. If you seldom wear one, but tend do so more frequently in a specific setting (e.g., at night), then feel free to elaborate, and if you have a favorite fabric (e.g., cotton-linen blend), please share.

2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Senior member

I wear a suit every day to work, and I wear a solid white shirt maybe once a week. I just feel with all the great colors and patterns available, I always find myself reaching for a shirt with color. I will sport a white shirt when I feel the need to wear something on the conservative side. Since I cant stand to wear a T-shirt under my dress shirts, I only wear solid white shirts that have a small % of stretch blended into the fabric. I have found that you cant see your skin through these shirts like most white dress shirts.

3. Blackl3232

Blackl3232 Well-Known Member

I wear white shirts probably 80 or 90% of the time. I mainly wear other colors with certain colors of suits that I don't like white with...brown, tan, etc.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

i started wearing them recently and actually like the fact that they're a blank canvas quite a bit, make some complex getups alot easier.

5. srivats

srivats Senior member

I wear them atleast twice a week to work. A white OCBD is my 2nd favourite shirt to wear [​IMG]

6. ykurtz

ykurtz Senior member

I have black hair, and fair skin. With a dark navy or grey suit, the white works very well with me. White and pale blue are the two dress shirt colors I wear the most. The white doesn't suck the color out of my features in the Spring, Summer or Fall. I tend to avoid white shirts in the winter, as living in Chicago in the winter tends to pale the skin. I'll wear a lot more blues then. But after 2 days in the sun, I'm back ready to wear the white.

7. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior member

I responded frequently, but I'd probably wear one more if it wasn't such a struggle to find a regular white shirt with a spread collar that has slim fit. It really shouldn't be this hard!

8. minnesotamoon

minnesotamoon Well-Known Member

Is there a brand or type of cotton that will show less shirt when wearing white? That is my big hesitation on wearing white more often. I don't like having my shirt show through, especially if I were to lose the tie after hours and have my v-neck showing through the front.

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Let me answer this way. I've got about 25 dress shirts. I'm guessing almost 20 are white.

10. Irv

Irv Well-Known Member

I would wear a white based shirt about 90% of the time but many of my white shirts will have a self stripe or fine pin stripe, etc through them.

I simply find that they will go with just about any suit/tie combination so it makes sense to have more of them.

11. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

I wear slightly off-white shirt once per week (Usually a 'monday' shirt).

Blinding white, or 'dead white', never.
    Dead White makes people look 'coffin-ready'.

On the other hand,
    a nice dead-white shirt can come in handy if you intend on taking the afternoon off work.
    It gives a nice 'not feeling well' palor to the face.

12. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

On the other hand,
    a nice dead-white shirt can come in handy if you intend on taking the afternoon off work.

[​IMG]

13. lermontov

lermontov Senior member

Once or twice a week, every week.

14. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I wear slightly off-white shirt once per week (Usually a 'monday' shirt).

On the other hand,

I always get the feeling that "off-white," "ivory," or "cream," just looks dirty to the glancing eye.

But that's just me.

15. ysc

ysc Senior member

On one of the (currently infrequent) occasions I wear a suit or clothes of a similar smartness I wear a plain white shirt fairly often. I know they sometimes get bad press compared to a pale blue shirt say, but I think with a Navy suit/jacket they look terrific.
    Probably have 3 or 4 of them out of a total of maybe 12ish French cuffed shirts (didn't bring most of them to uni, so I am not sure of the total number of the top of my head).