• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The white dress shirt

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
I want to purchase a plain white dress shirt, because I feel like it's a pretty useful thing to have in the arsenal. But, I can't decide between single or french cuff.

I don't have an occasion that I'm buying it for, and I don't wear suits often. What's the consensus on which is more versatile to own in general. Normally, I'd just pull the trigger, but since you guys are here...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
French, definitely. The times you will feel inclined to wear a white shirt are probably going to be the times you also need to dress more formally.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
French, definitely. The times you will feel inclined to wear a white shirt are probably going to be the times you also need to dress more formally.

I'm inclined to draw the opposite conclusion. The occasions that truly call for a white shirt (job interviews and funerals) are those where you'd want to be as inconspicuous as possible, and French cuffs would not be preferred in such instances.

In the interest of full disclosure, I only own two white dress shirts (not counting my pleated front dinner shirt), and both have French cuffs because I just don't give a damn.

Median

Reaction score
Pick whatever you feel is suitable for the occasion. The only contexts french-cuffs would be unsuitable are: a night out on the razz, or a non-executive-level interview.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find white dress shirts to be the most versatile of dress shirts. I own several.

I can see merit in both arguments above; MaFoo makes a good point, but Vintage's comments strike a chord as well. Why not strike a formality balance and find one (or have one made) with a double button barrel cuff if you are so conflicted or unwilling to buy two white shirts....

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I'm inclined to draw the opposite conclusion. The occasions that truly call for a white shirt (job interviews and funerals) are those where you'd want to be as inconspicuous as possible, and French cuffs would not be preferred in such instances.

In the interest of full disclosure, I only own two white dress shirts (not counting my pleated front dinner shirt), and both have French cuffs because I just don't give a damn.

I agree with Vintage Gent. French Cuffs aren't as versatile. If the OP doesn't yet own a white dress shirt, I'd assuming that he is younger, and more likely to need a white shirt for something like interviews.

I wear both plain cuff and french cuff white dress shirts, depending on the occasion. There is never an occasion for which the plain cuffs are inappropriate, whereas there are certain occasions for which the french cuffs are inappropriate.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrell cuff first, french second. You can wear barrell cuffs anywhere, but there are times when french cuffs would be too conspicuous.

Both are wardrobe staples, though, and you should really have both.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a single/barrel convertible, then you can wear links when the fancy takes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

exact same answer, both top and bottom

CharlestonBows

Reaction score

I disagree with being inconspicuous at job interviews. A subtle detail like a well fitting white double cuff shirt can make you seem more serious than the other candidates. Shows you mean bitness.

I agree with Mafoo -- if you're like the OP and don't have a common use for a white shirt, chances are when you do wear it, it'll be a more formal setting. So do it right - double cuff. IMO, of course.

... both have French cuffs because I just don't give a damn.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
I'm looking at the CT Web site, which only offers single or french. $55 is a pretty decent price; I figure it's time to ante up for one, even though I won't NEED it anytime soon.

As for personal information, I'm 26 and work as a freelance copywriter from home. I'm most likely to wear it to meetings or dinner parties under a sweater. Weddings are a rare occasion with my group of friends.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There shoudn't be a choice here, definitely french cuffs.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate
I'm looking at the CT Web site, which only offers single or french. $55 is a pretty decent price; I figure it's time to ante up for one, even though I won't NEED it anytime soon.

As for personal information, I'm 26 and work as a freelance copywriter from home. I'm most likely to wear it to meetings or dinner parties under a sweater. Weddings are a rare occasion with my group of friends.

I think french cuffs would look odd under a sweater.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Barrell cuff first, french second. You can wear barrell cuffs anywhere, but there are times when french cuffs would be too conspicuous.

Both are wardrobe staples, though, and you should really have both.

+1. I bought one of each for that exact reason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads