• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The white dress shirt

whiskeylaureate

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
210
Reaction score
0
I want to purchase a plain white dress shirt, because I feel like it's a pretty useful thing to have in the arsenal. But, I can't decide between single or french cuff.

I don't have an occasion that I'm buying it for, and I don't wear suits often. What's the consensus on which is more versatile to own in general. Normally, I'd just pull the trigger, but since you guys are here...
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,512
Reaction score
3,505
French, definitely. The times you will feel inclined to wear a white shirt are probably going to be the times you also need to dress more formally.
 

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
2,748
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by mafoofan
French, definitely. The times you will feel inclined to wear a white shirt are probably going to be the times you also need to dress more formally.

I'm inclined to draw the opposite conclusion. The occasions that truly call for a white shirt (job interviews and funerals) are those where you'd want to be as inconspicuous as possible, and French cuffs would not be preferred in such instances.

In the interest of full disclosure, I only own two white dress shirts (not counting my pleated front dinner shirt), and both have French cuffs because I just don't give a damn.
 

Median

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Pick whatever you feel is suitable for the occasion. The only contexts french-cuffs would be unsuitable are: a night out on the razz, or a non-executive-level interview.
 

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2008
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
5
I find white dress shirts to be the most versatile of dress shirts. I own several.

I can see merit in both arguments above; MaFoo makes a good point, but Vintage's comments strike a chord as well. Why not strike a formality balance and find one (or have one made) with a double button barrel cuff if you are so conflicted or unwilling to buy two white shirts....
 

phillyesq

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
486
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I'm inclined to draw the opposite conclusion. The occasions that truly call for a white shirt (job interviews and funerals) are those where you'd want to be as inconspicuous as possible, and French cuffs would not be preferred in such instances.

In the interest of full disclosure, I only own two white dress shirts (not counting my pleated front dinner shirt), and both have French cuffs because I just don't give a damn.



I agree with Vintage Gent. French Cuffs aren't as versatile. If the OP doesn't yet own a white dress shirt, I'd assuming that he is younger, and more likely to need a white shirt for something like interviews.

I wear both plain cuff and french cuff white dress shirts, depending on the occasion. There is never an occasion for which the plain cuffs are inappropriate, whereas there are certain occasions for which the french cuffs are inappropriate.
 

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Messages
3,819
Reaction score
5
Barrell cuff first, french second. You can wear barrell cuffs anywhere, but there are times when french cuffs would be too conspicuous.

Both are wardrobe staples, though, and you should really have both.
 

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
1,900
Reaction score
217
Get a single/barrel convertible, then you can wear links when the fancy takes.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I'm inclined to draw the opposite conclusion. The occasions that truly call for a white shirt (job interviews and funerals) are those where you'd want to be as inconspicuous as possible, and French cuffs would not be preferred in such instances.

In the interest of full disclosure, I only own two white dress shirts (not counting my pleated front dinner shirt), and both have French cuffs because I just don't give a damn.


exact same answer, both top and bottom
 

CharlestonBows

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I'm inclined to draw the opposite conclusion. The occasions that truly call for a white shirt (job interviews and funerals) are those where you'd want to be as inconspicuous as possible, and French cuffs would not be preferred in such instances.

I disagree with being inconspicuous at job interviews. A subtle detail like a well fitting white double cuff shirt can make you seem more serious than the other candidates. Shows you mean bitness.

I agree with Mafoo -- if you're like the OP and don't have a common use for a white shirt, chances are when you do wear it, it'll be a more formal setting. So do it right - double cuff. IMO, of course.

... both have French cuffs because I just don't give a damn.
 

whiskeylaureate

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
210
Reaction score
0
I'm looking at the CT Web site, which only offers single or french. $55 is a pretty decent price; I figure it's time to ante up for one, even though I won't NEED it anytime soon.

As for personal information, I'm 26 and work as a freelance copywriter from home. I'm most likely to wear it to meetings or dinner parties under a sweater. Weddings are a rare occasion with my group of friends.
 

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
1,221
Reaction score
232
There shoudn't be a choice here, definitely french cuffs.
 

penguin vic

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
596
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate
I'm looking at the CT Web site, which only offers single or french. $55 is a pretty decent price; I figure it's time to ante up for one, even though I won't NEED it anytime soon.

As for personal information, I'm 26 and work as a freelance copywriter from home. I'm most likely to wear it to meetings or dinner parties under a sweater. Weddings are a rare occasion with my group of friends.


I think french cuffs would look odd under a sweater.
 

PolePosition

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
388
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Brian278
Barrell cuff first, french second. You can wear barrell cuffs anywhere, but there are times when french cuffs would be too conspicuous.

Both are wardrobe staples, though, and you should really have both.


+1. I bought one of each for that exact reason.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 137 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 255 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 123 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 8.7%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 2.9%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.2%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 49 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,778
Messages
9,223,774
Members
193,621
Latest member
hollygraham4545
Top