• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also
Can you please explain the purpose of this post? Is there subtle manipulation goin on? Is there a set of narrow aesthetic parameters that escapes me?
I’m intrigued.

Sure.

It's my adaptation of what I liked about brands like KVA or Emporio . Simple monochrome with a mix of fabric textures that fit in a straight but not overly slim fit. I'll adjust small things like the exact cut or break of the pants or the material of the shirt for the occasion. In this case dinner with my GFs family at an upscale restaurant

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually admire @colabear for having the confidence to display his style. His confidence is not bought.

i've always been a big fan of his as well. even when he doesn't hit the mark, everything he does is very much his own. there are definitely a handful of posters here who have a very strong personal brand, that isn't just a watered down version of an aesthetic they saw online.

endorphinz

Reaction score
Also

Sure.

It's my adaptation of what I liked about brands like KVA or Emporio . Simple monochrome with a mix of fabric textures that fit in a straight but not overly slim fit. I'll adjust small things like the exact cut or break of the pants or the material of the shirt for the occasion. In this case dinner with my GFs family at an upscale restaurant

Okey Dokey.... ?
^

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the only thing we will agree on is that all three of us appreciate colabear despite our disagreement about the quality of each other's fits . Feel free to just block me

endorphinz

Reaction score
I like your taste in clothes but this is itself a stupid and ignorant opinion. Opinions aren't magically safe from being assessed for intelligence, informedness, etc. because they don't claim to be knowledge.

an opinion, by definition, can not be stupid. It might be formed by ignorance but can not be stupid.

GeorgeC

Reaction score
i feel like this is the clothing equivalent of a kidz bop song. aside from the schneider big scarf, which you've worn exactly like it was styled in the product shots, this could be a gap product shot, clarks dbs and all. spending stacks of money on sf approved brands won't make up for the fact this is completely devoid of any personality or individual expression. you can buy clothes, but you can't buy style.

I actually don't disagree with this. Don't get me wrong, this forum is great source of inspiration, but I feel like a lot of posters here have an unlimited budget for shopping but have not developed their own personal style. It's almost too easy when you have the means to build your closet exclusively with sf-approved and very expensive brands. I really appreciate fits by posters who mix and match - expensive jawnz, with vintage, basic brands, or even say, graphic tees that are not like, 100$ from NMWA, etc.

endorphinz

Reaction score
What is the definition of "opinion" that validates this claim?

it’s a judgement/ viewpoint that comes from ones personal perspective & life experiences. As such, it is ALWAYS subjective. Calling one stupid is ignorant because you can’t possibly have the same perspective from which it was formed.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course it's subjective, but that's irrelevant; it's also a judgment/representation that things are the way the opinion sets it out to be. An opinion might also be about something totally subjective, and in many cases calling it "stupid" wouldn't be apt at all ("it's my opinion that chocolate chip cookies are better than snickerdoodles"; not apt for being called stupid!) but that hardly accounts for all cases. Opinions can be formed stupidly (not merely ignorantly), so that the opiner ends up opining something that, with more thought or attention, they wouldn't have; such opinions can be called stupid. (Though now I wonder what kinds of things you think can justly be called "stupid".)

p.s.

you contradicted yourself. Manipulating IS innovating

"Manipulation" doesn't have to be innovative; the result of the manipulation, while being precisely what the manipulator wants, could still be a "known" kind of thing, not actually new, even though it requires taste and style to see what manipulations are necessary to get one to the desired point. The whole idea that to be stylish, or to be personal rather than reflective of forum consensus, one has to be ~innovative~ is a bunch of pseudo-Romantic twaddle anyway.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not even sure who falls under that category. The last person I can think of was the guy with Concords?/choncords? in his username but after a few failed attempts he started putting together really really cool fits. Maybe there were a little #trendy but when he got his fit and sizing down I really enjoyed it. He also was a little gaudy in a way I enjoyed

Clearly NMWA is to blame for making fresh jawnz too readily available for mass consumption (50 dudes on the internet)

endorphinz

Reaction score
Of course it's subjective, but that's irrelevant; it's also a judgment/representation that things are the way the opinion sets it out to be. An opinion might also be about something totally subjective, and in many cases calling it "stupid" wouldn't be apt at all ("it's my opinion that chocolate chip cookies are better than snickerdoodles"; not apt for being called stupid!) but that hardly accounts for all cases. Opinions can be formed stupidly (not merely ignorantly), so that the opiner ends up opining something that, with more thought or attention, they wouldn't have; such opinions can be called stupid. (Though now I wonder what kinds of things you think can justly be called "stupid".)

p.s.

"Manipulation" doesn't have to be innovative; the result of the manipulation, while being precisely what the manipulator wants, could still be a "known" kind of thing, not actually new, even though it requires taste and style to see what manipulations are necessary to get one to the desired point. The whole idea that to be stylish, or to be personal rather than reflective of forum consensus, one has to be ~innovative~ is a bunch of pseudo-Romantic twaddle anyway.

p.s.

It’s way too tiresome &, quite frankly, not that important to continue to discuss this... so...

Thank you for digging my style

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads