• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much better with shirt. I'd wear with white cotton shorts.

I disagree with Ethan and jbravo.

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you absolutely have to wear them with this shirt, I would recommend at least rolling up the sleeves a bit.

toobasic

Reaction score
Classified, second outfit is much better than the first. It's balanced better. But I still stand by my earlier point, that when wearing shorts it's better to wear short sleeves. Long sleeves with shorts is contradictory.

SimonT

Reaction score
Alden / APC / levi's/H&M

zbjPjeZ.jpg

Classified_

Reaction score

Classified, second outfit is much better than the first. It's balanced better. But I still stand by my earlier point, that when wearing shorts it's better to wear short sleeves. Long sleeves with shorts is contradictory.

Duly noted, thanks.

Moonchild

Reaction score
Thanks, the cardigan is actually black, I don't tend to wear cardigans with shorts usually but I was trying something new here, clearly it doesn't blend, so noted.

The shirt's collar is a bit too tight I agree, although it's a crew, it's pretty close to the neck, but still comfortable.

Here's a different approach with slightly longer J Crew shorts and a Margiela cotton shirt:

Works better?

Thanks.

Better ? Yes.
Perfect? no
The good thing is the shirt fits you really well, looks like you chose the right cut. BUT as I and some others suggested in th previous post, the thing is that you need something boxier / slouchier at the top. The shirt doesnt work here because it's too slim-fitting. (actually unbuttoning one more button and rolling up the sleeves would improve the outfit A BIT).
- A boxier /slouchier top would make the outfit a little more masculine by adding some volume on your torso : the short shorts + everything slim-fit makes you look skinnier than you may actually be and way too feminine.
- My take : Just put on a slightly larger (white)T-shirt (yes, that would be a size M for you) or if you insist on having a shirt on, read my previous paragraph and my previous post too (for wearing a shirt as a cardigan/jacket) : an unbuttoned (non slim-fitting!) shirt over a white t shirt
For such a casual outfit, the simpler the better.

Last edited:

Classified_

Reaction score
Thanks, good stuff.

Can you recommend on 2-3 good boxier/slouchier pieces which would go along with this? Photos too of possible, thanks.

Last edited:

Moonchild

Reaction score
@Classified_
An UNIQLO white t shirt is good, they are well-cut and don't lose shape too quickly compared to other brands. as i said earlier, a size M might look good here (don't worry they may be too big, they size slightly smaller).
as for shirts, I'm not really a shirt guy so can't really help much (Personnaly I have a light blue UNIQLO thin denim shirt i bought a couple of years ago) but my advice, is, if your intent is to wear it as an "overshirt" :
- not slim-fitting ( a straight cut is the good choice)
- plain (light blue, light grey, beige . . . so it can be versatile enough for different looks). No flowers, stripes etc...
- Wear it open and roll up the sleeves
- front pockets are accepted (if not better:)
- if desired, you can complete the look (personal choice though) with a simplewrist watch or a simple bracelet (no D&G flashy blingy stuff.. just a simple leather one. H&M has some interesting ones this season for very cheap). - I do it personnally because when wearing short-sleeved stuff, I feel that my arms are 'naked'.

Et voilà, French Riviera style! :)

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks, the cardigan is actually black, I don't tend to wear cardigans with shorts usually but I was trying something new here, clearly it doesn't blend, so noted.

The shirt's collar is a bit too tight I agree, although it's a crew, it's pretty close to the neck, but still comfortable.

Here's a different approach with slightly longer J Crew shorts and a Margiela cotton shirt:

Works better?

Thanks.

i dont understand why this fit needs advice, its not exactly sartorial its just a casual/vacation fit. looks ok, boring, longer shorts.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
What's the point of posting your outfit here and writing tons of paragraphs in its defense?

If you really think everyone's criticism is off-base, just don't respond. But if you have to explain that your outfit is good in like a thousand words, maybe it just isn't very good?

Your biggest problem — and I've been in the same place, before — is that you're only concerned if items technically fit the right way. Your defense of your shirt above, for example, states that the shoulder seam lines up perfectly with your shoulder. That's good — the shirt "fits" in the most objective sense. But that doesn't mean that, in a particular outfit, a dropped shoulder seam wouldn't look better.

Your t-shirt and cardigan are just too small. They may "fit", but they don't look any good. Clothing shouldn't look like a scuba suit.

diniro

Reaction score
^yup. Dude just need to change his outlook a little bit. Those short shorts and jegging pants are the opposite of flattering. These specific prescriptions like rolling up sleeves and getting bracelets suck and does nothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads