• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cr2596

Reaction score

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve taken a pattern making course, and am about to start a second, where I made a jeans pattern based on my body measurements and the fit that I wanted. The fit put any other pair of pants I’ve ever owned to total shame.

Those are great, fit, cuffs and all. And I notice the 'no cuffs' crowd have suddenly gone quiet...

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@zissou what sewing machine do you have? I was looking at taking some classes and learning to make clothes but am having a hard time figuring out a reasonable sewing machine to pick up considering I'm only getting started. My mom has a really nice older machine that is super solid but the one entry-level machine I played around with at a friend's place was pretty crappy and was having a hard time getting through multiple layers of fabric while I was trying to make a mask. Any advice here? I figure you must have something decent if you made a pair of denim.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome, well-done. Did you cut and construct them, as well? Or just produce the pattern?
I did every step of the construction using Japanese selvage denim and vintage Japanese chambray for the pocket bags. Plus, double chainstitched felled seams
8260C4C5-977C-4FF1-BB6B-356CDDD02E4B.jpeg

12FE299C-8175-4A0F-A017-CB333E7FE6A2.jpeg

731C7C4F-FB07-45CC-9E89-D29E1AA9E049.jpeg

A2CB5F45-8394-4387-9DA1-59C13C202867.jpeg

4DBBB872-8767-48A8-BB8A-3150CD769C1B.jpeg

Wow yea fit on those are great! Jealous!
Those are great, fit, cuffs and all. And I notice the 'no cuffs' crowd have suddenly gone quiet...
Cheers, guys
i dont like the cuffs
Well, where I live in 19th Century Utah, you’d get laughed out of town without cuffs, bucko.
@zissou what sewing machine do you have? I was looking at taking some classes and learning to make clothes but am having a hard time figuring out a reasonable sewing machine to pick up considering I'm only getting started. My mom has a really nice older machine that is super solid but the one entry-level machine I played around with at a friend's place was pretty crappy and was having a hard time getting through multiple layers of fabric while I was trying to make a mask. Any advice here? I figure you must have something decent if you made a pair of denim.
I have a few machines, but my good ol’ straight stitch machine is a Pfaff from the 1970s made in “Western Germany”. My best advice based on my experience is to find a sewing machine dealer that does repairs and buy an older refurbished one from them. I also have an older Pfaff serger made in Japan from the same shop, and each were about $250. Lastly, I have a new Juki coverstitch machine that I use for chainstitching. You can’t really go wrong with either of those brands, or Bernina. Most new machines are crap unless you want to spend at least $500, and preferably $1000. Oh, and don’t bother with a computerized machine. It’s not worth it.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jokes about "how real men wear their pants" have come full circle, brain expansion meme style. Those look excellent in every way.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm nowhere near zissou's level, but I've picked up 3 vintage tank-like machines on craigslist/facebook marketplace for <$100, including cabinets on one. One older lady actual just gave me her Pfaff because I was the only one who actually showed up after messaging her about it. They've all required a little bit of TLC, though, as none of them had been used in probably decades. Not hard, though. There are plenty of niche sewing machine forums and helpful people around. That being said, when I was taking a class w/ a heavier-duty Juki, it sewed soooo smoothly and almost alarmingly fast.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm nowhere near zissou's level, but I've picked up 3 vintage tank-like machines on craigslist/facebook marketplace for <$100, including cabinets on one. One older lady actual just gave me her Pfaff because I was the only one who actually showed up after messaging her about it. They've all required a little bit of TLC, though, as none of them had been used in probably decades. Not hard, though. There are plenty of niche sewing machine forums and helpful people around. That being said, when I was taking a class w/ a heavier-duty Juki, it sewed soooo smoothly and almost alarmingly fast.
I also work part time in a sewing shop making backpacks, and the industrial Jukis, Consews, and Sailrites make my machines seem like little toys. Industrial machines are intimidating at first, but so much fun once you get the hang of them.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, where I live in 19th Century Utah, you’d get laughed out of town without cuffs, bucko

How is Logan these days? Get any snow yet? I hope the local haunts are still surviving.One of my old geology profs came and visited me. Was fun to talk about old times. Said Cache Valley has grown a lot in recent years.

I have so many questions but don’t want to junk up the waywt page.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is Logan these days? Get any snow yet? I hope the local haunts are still surviving.One of my old geology profs came and visited me. Was fun to talk about old times. Said Cache Valley has grown a lot in recent years.

I have so many questions but don’t want to junk up the waywt page.
:D Yeah, Logan has grown a lot, and doing ok for the most part. There's lots of revitalization downtown, which is great to see. Just a little bit of snow on the mountains! :\

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads