• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB585CFA-8178-4B91-A04E-A374AB1D55F3.png

true.to.size

Reaction score
Seconding baltimoron's request. For a few months there I thought I had figure out how not to fog up my glasses, but then once it got colder I realized it was just the weather and now I am foggy most of the time once again.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

true.to.size

Reaction score
I went to an optometrist and asked for contacts a few years ago. The response was more or less:

"With the type and intensity of your prescription, contacts will end up being disorienting—not so much that your eyes won't be able to adjust 99% of the time and be fine. But there is that 1% chance that you will be exhausted on your commute home after a long day, get out of the subway stop, and walk to the edge of the crosswalk. But your eyes will be tired, and at the moment your depth of vision will be off. You will take one step too far, into the street, get hit by a bus, and die.
And then a few days later, I will hear about it on the news or in the paper. I might recognize your name and then I would feel bad. So, in short, I wouldn't recommend that you get contacts."

I have since had an optometrist say that contacts would be ok, but this earlier opinion has left too deep of an impression. Plus, I'm bad at touching my eye :/

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

faue

Reaction score
Tape is the quickest and easiest answer. That’s what I use. Obviously if you have sensitive skin this could be a problem with extended wear.

Other options:

Increase back vertex distance (distance from lens to face). You may be able to move them a bit yourself, but an optician can adjust the temple bend to make it more comfortable. Changing bvd WILL result in a change in the effective power at the eye, which may be noticeable if you have a particularly strong prescription.

Decrease pantoscopic tilt. See an optician for this. Again, this may result in change in effective power as well as inducing astigmatism and other aberrations that may be bothersome if you have a particularly high prescription.

The above will help with mask-related fogging, not winter-related fogging.

Long term:

Goggles with a seal. This will also help with winter-related fogging. You might look like a dork, or maybe start a new trend.

Contact lenses.

Refractive surgery (LASIK, PRK, RLE, etc)

There are also anti-fog coatings (basically DWR), but in my experience they are not particularly effective or reliable.

Also, dirty lenses fog more easily than clean ones, so make sure you are cleaning your lenses regularly with a lens cloth (microfiber) and lens cleaner (please do not use Windex or alcohol, especially if you have coatings).

Last edited:

Kal Varnsen

Reaction score
Seconding baltimoron's request. For a few months there I thought I had figure out how not to fog up my glasses, but then once it got colder I realized it was just the weather and now I am foggy most of the time once again.

I haven't actually tried this, so no idea if this would work, but try shaving cream.

I have tried this on my bathroom mirror when I'm taking a hot shower, and it did seem to keep the mirror from fogging up too bad.

faue

Reaction score
@Kal Varnsen oh yeah good call, I forgot about that one. Shaving cream (or bar soap) work the same way the store bought anti-fog sprays work. Can work for a short term fix, although the residue that is acting as a moisture barrier will also reduce optical clarity.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
someone pls give tips on unfogging glasses

View attachment 1485594

norwegian rain / uc / uniqlo / lang / moonstar

How to fix the fogging glasses problem.

1. Get some self adhesive foam tape.
DSC_5262.JPG

2. Cut 2 pieces about an inch long. Cut a 45 degree angle on one side of each.
DSC_5267.JPG
3. Stick onto the mask.
DSC_5269.JPG
4. Enjoy!

This mod will improve the efficiency of your mask. While keeping it breathable. Comfortable too!

- Similar items can be bought online, but a roll of foam tape will last a long time. And can be used on a cloth mask also.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads