• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prudy

Reaction score
I think the scarf is great but I think you need a bit more on top, maybe a longer piece like an oversized sweater or something? Or maybe just a long sleeved t-shirt? It looks a bit like you're wearing a summer outfit with a winter scarf.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would someone wearing just a tee need a scarf, let alone a giant one? It's overwhelming. Somewhere there is a scarf internet where that thing is listing you as an accessory.

Was there a practical reason for wearing it? I've never been about to step outside in jeans and a tee and thought about throwing on a scarf. First the coat, then the scarf. Wearing just the scarf seems "fashiony", like you're doing something absurd just for the sake of style which, forgive me, makes you look sort of like a poser since you don't have command of your own style enough yet to pull those kind of things off.

Prudy

Reaction score
Why would someone wearing just a tee need a scarf, let alone a giant one? It's overwhelming. Somewhere there is a scarf internet where that thing is listing you as an accessory.

Was there a practical reason for wearing it? I've never been about to step outside in jeans and a tee and thought about throwing on a scarf. First the coat, then the scarf. Wearing just the scarf seems "fashiony", like you're doing something absurd just for the sake of style which, forgive me, makes you look sort of like a poser since you don't have command of your own style enough yet to pull those kind of things off.

I think you've gone a bit overboard, here. I agree, the short sleeve t-shirt w/ scarf is what is bothering me about the look. But, in general, wearing an accessory or a piece of clothing to look stylish is the point. You seem to be espousing the holy SF 'power tools' philosophy of dressing, aka, nothing impractical or embellished or unusual that doesn't get the task done shall pass.

Nothing about an outfit needs to be practical, and all of it can be for the sake of style or for 'fashion's sake'. It's not like he's going to work in the coal mine.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd get something more like the BLK DNM scarf with the b/w rose-print if I wanted a scarf for that fit. Something in washed cotton, like wrinkled and stuff would work too.

But a wool scarf large enough to be a blanket worn with a t-shirt and no other top is just odd.

Jabonator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The scarf is cool, but doesn't work here. Wrap it up differently somehow. Also, seems a bit out of place to wear a huge scarf with a tee-shirt.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you've gone a bit overboard, here.  I agree, the short sleeve t-shirt w/ scarf is what is bothering me about the look.  But, in general, wearing an accessory or a piece of clothing to look stylish is the point.  You seem to be espousing the holy SF 'power tools' philosophy of dressing, aka, nothing impractical or embellished or unusual that doesn't get the task done shall pass.

Nothing about an outfit needs to be practical, and all of it can be for the sake of style or for 'fashion's sake'.  It's not like he's going to work in the coal mine.

I wasn't saying not to wear things just for the sake of style. The point I keep harping on with 3rdC is that the more obvious it is that you are wearing something just for the sake of style (i.e. wearing a ginormous scarf with a tee, emulating a runway look, etc) the more important it is for you to have a command of that style, since the effect is to draw attention to the fact that you are stylish.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the scarf is great but I think you need a bit more on top, maybe a longer piece like an oversized sweater or something?  Or maybe just a long sleeved t-shirt?  It looks a bit like you're wearing a summer outfit with a winter scarf.

this. big scarf is awesome, but big scarf over a t shirt is silly.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FHB (insanly heavy) cord jacket
OL denim shirt
helly hansen fleece
old edwin
blundstone

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BOOM. Although I couldn't find the original post, even after searching @123abc123's post history. Huh.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
LOL i was looking for abc123abc. no wonder

Prudy

Reaction score
HA. Fantastic.

It got warm enough here for a few hours today to head out in just a sweater, so I put on this boxy beast.

Gucci casentino wool/neoprene sweater
SLP raw denim
Ann D derbys

The3rdConch0rd

Reaction score
Boxy sweat is p cool. With better lighting, I'd like to see how it plays with those derbies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads