The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Tirailleur1, May 22, 2014.

1. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

Vcrash the facial hair and specs isn't helping you man. You've got to work a bit on that!

Nice fits Clag. Do wish you changed up some of the fit/cut of the jackets though. Bout half of them look the same except a different color.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

[​IMG]
    John Hanley cap / Drake's scarf / EG tattersall shirt / Orslow cardigan / EG duffle / J crew cords / Russell Moccasins

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did Kyle ever posted his more MC fits here? Pretty good stuff.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Offhand, I can remember two that he posted. Both superb.

5. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

how do you like the EG duffle? i'd like to pick one up next season.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bah. Quote function isn't working properly.

@basil:

But why is this a contest? This is a mindset I've never understood. And accepting that it is a contest (which I don't), why is degree of difficulty our goal. And accepting that difficulty is our standard, CM had a number of issues that SW&D don't really need to deal with as much (fit, colors, patterns, and stupid, outdated rules). And none of these make CM harder that SW&D. Just different.

Now, I do think that fucking up in both realms is equally easy. But I also think that getting to the mean may be easier in CM. But I'd argue that getting into the edges of the distribution is comparably difficult in both realms.

On that note, I think that spending a lot of time perfecting one helps with the other. Look at how long it took Stitchy to get good as he is at CM (very, very long). And look at how quickly (less than two years, if that) it took Stitchy to get good at SWD. A surprisingly large amount carries over.

Much of the rules you posted are just a reflection of my personal preferences. I'm probably one of the more homogenous non-CBD (conservative business dress) dressers there. In that light, I think you could probably compose a list of traits that many of the SWD heavy hitters possess (with those you listed generally being my favorites)

@royaltea

I think only two of those are the same cut (with some variation) with a third being from the same tailor (but with fairly modified shape and detail). I think subtle differences are more often appreciated over on CM (not something that makes it better...I could easily, and just as truthfully, say "CM obsesses over almost unnoticeable shit that doesn't matter").

That may simply be a reflection of the rules we follow, eliminating many options and forcing us to focus on minutia like the angle of a gorge or the degree of roll of a lapel.

(I do own two double breasted jackets, but they dont photograph well sitting ^_^)

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Im sorry, but every time I see someone say that MC is "easier" than SWD because you can just follow "rules," or SWD is easier because you just have to wear weird stuff and jeans, I question their understanding of dress and their grasp on reality.

As a counter, here is how "easy" and "formulaic" SWD is.

The KG

Tall lace all the way up Ann-esque boots. Damir type slim stacking black jeans/pants. Boot tuck. Some crazy funky slim top with straps somewhere. Slim profile solid color long coat or sweater. Black, gray and white colors only. Or, black derbies, black pants no break, lil bit high water, slightly drapey sweater, coat. Same color scheme as before.

The Pope

Military type thick worn in boots. Awesome textured slim raw-hemmed KVA type pants. Awesome textured semi-shredded top. Drapey hooded slightly big nazgul coat.

The Synth

MMM beat up suede boots. Slim tapered jeans with great fades. Nondescript well fitting tee, lil bit slutty. Very awesome coat with great texture.

The Shoreman

Chunky workwear shoes or boots. Slim straight cotton pants. Chunky sweater. Duffle or other workwear coat. Beanie.

The Ghostface

Soft long drapey mostly solid everything in beautiful textures and colors.

I could go on.

MC is also easy!

Have great shoes, get a suit that fits perfect. Wear a shirt tie and PS that all are exactly coherent with the suit and shoes, in color, pattern, texture and fabric. Wham bam thank you ma'am. Donesky.

The point is, you can break down the style of almost any consistently great poster to some kind of rules based formula. So why doesnt everyone look as good as these guys? Its so easy and simple!!! The answer is, because its not so easy and simple. You need to have an eye for what items to pair. You need to have everything fit just so, and know what fit just so means on your body. You need to know where to get the gear. So on and so forth. MC is no different. You can break it down all you want and make it seem simple, but go ahead and do it and lets see how good you actually look. I bet every single person that has proposed how easy it is, were they to head to MC and start posting fits, would look meh at best, and more likely like ass, for a long time, until they actually put in the time and effort to get it right. The same way someone with no SWD practice will look like a moran until they put in the time to get it right.

Dont get me wrong, Im not proposing some kind of MC or SWD is superior crap here. I am a huge proponent of both, and they both have great value. But to make a blanket statement about how one is better, more practical, or more easy to execute, than the other, is just wrong. They both are nuanced, they both require learning and thought, time and effort, and trial and error, to nail down, and they both are awesome.

8. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

You just revealed the secret guide to SW&D

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

+ 5 on both counts.

10. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

so Stitchy Poo covered everything I was going to say.

11. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stitchy is not wrong. I do think there are people who pick stuff like this up easier, usually the kind of people with a higher degree of spatial intelligence. They will do well within both MC and SWD, pretty much from the start (or at least with a much faster learning curve), with less fails.

There are probably more people with higher spatial intelligence on this side of the forum. People who are usually working within creative fields tend to have it. From what I've gathered lurking in this, and a few other SWD threads the last couple of years, there are more posters on this side working within these fields.

There are quite a few of those on the MC side as well, but the bulk, while being enthusiasts, possess other types of intelligence. Besides having a creative approach to style, MC also allows for a more analytical take on it. An approach that is very much based on "rules", which has a pull on certain people, not naming names :foo:

There is definitely room for being creative within MC though, and some posters seem very interested in how far you can stretch the limits of the very vague term "good taste", and still look good. While others let their creativity show in really subtle things, such as texture play (not unlike some posters on this side).

I think the main difference though, is that SWD is compiled of all the styles that doesn't fit into MC (some of which Stitchy pointed out above). E.G. there are as diverse styles as goth ninja and workwear lumped together, just because they're not MC. And each of these SWD styles have their own set of "rules" as well. Certain brands, fits, textures and colour combos are favored over others.

Sorry if this sounds like gibberish. In my defense, English is not my first language.

12. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Well of course they'd have to work in creative fields. Lord knows you couldn't wear what some of these miscreants wear and work in a respectable field.

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

We need a Moo smiley you can use for comments like this. A counterpart to the :foo: - who wants to do a mockup?

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

[​IMG]

RG/MHL/MMM and no vis MMM sidezips.