The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Tirailleur1, May 22, 2014.

1. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I think im too impatient to put together a good MC fit. Not that my SWD fits are amazing but its better suited to my impatience.

2. The3rdConch0rd

The3rdConch0rd Senior member

Can't really see much, man. Are you sporting Dries footwear?

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

It used to be there was just one WAYWT thread on SF. Over time the split was made.

Truth is though, it just makes more sense for them to be separate. Different vibes, different personalities, different interest... All in, I think it all works better separate, and it's nice that there can be interest from one side to the other and cross posting as well.

@LA Guy would be better suited than me (lol pun) to elaborate on that split.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Do we need another MC/SWD switcheroo challenge?

5. in stitches

Yep.

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Yeah! Although I don't know how many of us will be able to compete.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Don't worry, results displayed that the last time.

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Oh. Snap.

9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

We will have a CBD meetup in SF and nobody will recognize our group pic.

10. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

It isn't any of that.

MC never had a @tcwalter07

11. DLester

DLester Senior member

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

Parker, gdl, Baron, shoreman, PinkPanster et. al.

And whats up with your cloak suit?

Hilarious

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd love a unified WAYWT thread, but I suspect the sheer number of posters and ensuing chatter would be overwhelming. I'd also argue that CM would benefit from the best that SW&D has to offer more than the other way around. Not necessarily in terms of something to emulate (in this, the reverse might be true, as many will have some occasion to need to dress in a jacket and tie, but few have occasion to go gothninja, as much as I love that look when done well), but in terms of general aesthetic appreciation.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

On another, related, note, I'd love if some of the really good SW&D posters posted their SW&D fits on MC's WAYWRN. Part of me would like to see some folks get all rattled, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the regular posters there would be appreciative, especially after the first few cross posts (and the dinosaurs get tired of bitching).

In the same vein, because some folks here seem to think that we all dress like knock-off Don Draper's [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

15. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Claghorn, those are all great. I'd like to point out though, that even though you're not dressing as a Don Draper clone, you are following several "rules" that make MC "easier" than SWD. Assuming one operates better within a set of rules with fewer choices, which is true for myself.

- Of course most importantly, the fit is great. Easier or harder to nail depending on your body type I guess. Setting that aside,
    - A dozen fits and it seems the shirt is either blue-based or white in all of them. Solid or a subtle pattern (stripe/gingham). Always the lightest part of the outfit.
    - If you're not wearing a suit, you're wearing a navy SC with grey trousers or a dark grey SC with light grey trousers. There may be a brownish SC in there as well paired with lighter grey trousers. ie, darker on top, lighter on bottom.
    - Jackets seem to cover your ass and pants are high enough rise that we don't see shirt between the jacket quarters (hard to tell).- Your lapels suit your frame, are neither wide nor skinny and roughly approximate the width of your tie. Around 3.5 inches? Tie hits just below top of trousers with skinny side longer for je ne sais quoi.
    - Jackets are all single breast, notch lapel save one DB.
    - Shirts are all the same-ish collar, tucking below lapel.
    - Ties are all asymmetric four-in-hand variants. Mostly blue and brown. Most with some texture. Most are dark.

Within these parameters it's easier to operate. You have a suit/shirt base and then add to that - upping the degree of difficulty with ties and squares. But with ties there are still rules being followed - when you wear a contrasting tie, it still contains elements of the SC. Your green paisley tie has some navy in it, which picks up the navy in the SC. You wear a brown tie with your brown/blue SC. Your squares are awesome and are where you break away the most, but there are usually shared elements with the jacket or tie. You're mixing up to four patterns in many of these, and I assume the key there is to keep the patterns subtle. Like your awesome herringbone suit with gingham shirt are so subtle they're basically solid. The tie is similar and the square is a bit crazier (but not bright). It seems like you can say "fuck it" with the square and if everything else is A+, which it is here, the square works.

It's easier to get 90% of the way there in MC, which is why they are so concerned with the minutiae there. Robo-poses and whatnot. Admittedly, I haven't wandered over there in quite a while.

Like I said, awesome fits, great wardrobe. Really cool stuff from who I assume is a heavy hitter in MC. I'm glad you posted them. Not a Draper clone of course, but a bit of an MC one perhaps? Like a really, really good new and improved clone though. I'd be interested to see if one could apply similar rules to heavy hitter SWD guys like kgfan, Derk, 4est, MOK, Diniro, ghostface, thatoneguy, etc. In my opinion, no, but who knows.