Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Tirailleur1, May 22, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I think there are a few factors. Here are two theories of mine.

1. It is just less of a culture of thumbs, and often times people will comment instead.

2. I think there are also less people that read the MC sub forum. If you look you will see that even though there are more posts in the what are you wearing today MC thread, there are much more views on this thread. SWD has more poeple. Both posting and lurking.

---

Jet, while it sounds simple, if it were that easy, more people would be doing it.

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, once you know about niche italian makers of suits, shirts and ties and where to buy them, and you have a good pair of English or Italian or Hungarian shoes, and you understand your body type and sizing, and you have a good tailor, and you've developed a good relationship with that tailor, and you have no budget, some knowledge traditional men's style, and great taste... well then, yes, it's a breeze.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

unfortunately none of those things require any skill except for sizing (is that really rocket science though) and color/pattern matching which like i said most fail at anyway

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

the type of people mc attracts is the exact type who need help and lack personal style and such like doctors, lawyers, etc who are typically nerds and need the help of alpha M (3)

that's why all these style blogs incorporate the broad spectrum of advice they do, cool dudes already know how to dress (in sw without even wearing sf approved brands which is admittedly more difficult), talk to women, groom, play the guitar, etc...just sayin

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Today they learn thumbs. Tomorrow perhaps multiquoting or spoiler tags.

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Yeah, but really #1 is the only part of that that's simple. Tailors aren't infallible, finding one you know, like, and trust (definite cupping optional) isn't simple, and even telling them what you want to happen takes a certain amount of knowledge. Hell, even knowing what "size" you are is immensely more complex than it is over here (not a knock against SW&D). I look at posts over on CM talking about sleeve pitch, pulling across the yoke, or whatever; and I just think, "Fuck."

#3, wearing with good color/etc? I dunno man. That takes (again) knowledge of what you want, an eye for fabric and texture, and also an eye for color - yeah, it is not hard to put on a crisp white dress shirt (guiltyyyyyy), but to move beyond that - as you've noted - is not as simple. Yeah, I could call greg or whoever and be like "kit me the fuck out bruh," but fuck, if he didn't send me 7 white shirts I would still have no idea what to wear every day. ALso then we'd all look like Greg which, although probably not a bad thing, would be super boring. I dunno. To me that's not "style," which is, I think, what we're circling around.

This, basically. The minutiae, should you care to learn (I do not), is incredibly deep. It's not that there isn't an equivalent amount of knowledge among SW&D posters (there clearly is; think about the knowledge of silhoutte, trend, design history or whatever that's obviously required for some of our most-thumbed dudes to put together something great), it's that it's devoted to something else. I can't imagine trying to hold all of that in my brain. Then again, I often call people around me by my dogs' names.

I definitely agree with jet's sort of reductive point that "cool dudes know how to dress." No one's born a cool dude, though, which nothing demonstrates quite so well as SF.

7. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

um. clearly, you have not met my brother, kim jong un, or my father, kim jong illest. as the venerable kim jong deux, it is my duty, so that we maintain our honor and preserve our shame, to inform you plebes that the kim family oozed with swag and were cool dudes since the conception of the universe.

8. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

"He shoots like this"

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Since we are still talking about this (I really hoped we would be so I could ramble), I think there are a number of layers here.

Looking good, and looking good by the definition of MC or SWD prime style, are very different things. There are lots of times where I am very happy with how I look/what I am wearing, but dont post it, because I know that it will not appeal to many here, on either side of the forum. Posting fits that are good or great according to the desires of these threads, presupposes that a person is interested in looking that way at all. Not everyone wants to look that way, nor should they, if it doesnt interest them.

Assuming you want to achieve the type of look that is appreciated here, while there are definitely people that are naturally effortlessly excellent at style, and those who are just all around bad at it, like the guy who practices baseball all day and strikes out every time, most people fall in the middle. Where, with the right guidance, and interest, and work, they could end up being really good, or even great. I think that applies to both MC and SWD. The vast majority of people who first start posting fits suck, myself very much included. There are easily as many SWD fails as MC fails, and most of these people disappear. Because they are probably happy with how they look and not interested in putting in the work to look really really great/really great by SF standards, which they may not buy into anyways (they are making a mistake there!).

That said, I think MC and SWD are equally hard, or easy, depending on how you want to look at it. Whatever path you choose, you are going to need to learn about fit, learn about brands, learn about which brands work for you, learn about sizing, learn about shoes and boots, learn what items are best paired with what (this is so major btw, so often there are fits that could be great, but the wrong shirt or shoes kills it), based on colors, fabrics, textures, patterns... I know people will poo poo that and say its easy peazy, but its not. Again, if it were, everyone on both sides of the forum would look like kg or Vox. But they dont. Because it takes a lot of freaking work. Buying stuff, returning stuff, pairing stuff and so on.

In the end, either you care or you dont. Most people who really care, and really put in the effort, end up looking good. Both in MC and SWD.

10. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I wear polos and quarter zips. NE swag is not welcome on sf

11. accordion

accordion Senior member

nautica/dockers/birkenstocks, standard fit in high school

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

This isn't swag. This is what we're fighting against. This is everything that's wrong with the world.

13. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Lol I thought of you and spope when I wrote that

14. vcrash

vcrash Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Muji / Acne / Public School / (Dries)

15. 1969

1969 Senior member

Someone, maybe Fuuma? argued at some point that there should just me one waywt thread. Not practical but I liked the sentiment.

I think most guys and that includes most of CM just fall apart when they try to go beyond a city suit and black oxfords.