• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
51171241159_a614dfc5de_b.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I really don't understand the pearls thing. Why have young guys suddenly started to want to look like my Great-Aunt?

slvth

Reaction score
Because they look cool. If he was wearing one of these would you be be commenting the same way?

Just cuz you associate pearls with your great aunt doesn't mean du wants to look like your great aunt. Causation v correlation.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because they look cool. If he was wearing one of these would you be be commenting the same way?

Just cuz you associate pearls with your great aunt doesn't mean du wants to look like your great aunt. Causation v correlation.
Yeah, really cool...

queen-elizabeth-ii-smiles-as-she-attends-the-british-ambassadors-at-picture-id83369388

It's not just "Causation v correlation", it's semiotic, "a sign as something which stands to somebody for something.”

On the other hand, "Pearl’s associations with the Moon and Venus seem to reinforce the popular perception that it’s a feminine jewel. The mineralogist George Kunz, in his 1913 work, The Curious Lore of Precious Stones, made this comparison between diamond and pearl:

The diamond is to the pearl as the sun is to the moon, and we might well call one the “king-gem” and the other the “queen-gem.” The diamond, like a knight of old — brilliant and resistant, is the emblem of fearlessness and invincibility; the pearl, like a lady of old — pure and fair to look upon, is the emblem of modesty and purity."

As such, I understand the use of pearls in certain actual fashion proposals as they play with an androgenic aesthetic, but I feel it isn't the OP case...

00-story%252520(13).jpg

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you're all just trying to read too much into this...
Wide legged cropped pants look like **** to most people but on this forum we love it, pearls are the same. It's just a thing people wear. The only reason there's a question is because they're commonly seen as a feminine item buuuuut you could argue that about a lot/most of fashion, and even further into music and rock and roll (eg/ Bowie, Prince, Mercury, Elton...). It t's actually pretty surprising it even requires a reason on a fashion forum, even one as hetero as SF.
If all you're wondering is where the trend originated then idk but i think the first place i remember seeing it in pop culture was Beckham and Harry Styles.

slvth

Reaction score
On the other hand, "Pearl’s associations with the Moon and Venus seem to reinforce the popular perception that it’s a feminine jewel. The mineralogist George Kunz, in his 1913 work, The Curious Lore of Precious Stones, made this comparison between diamond and pearl:

The diamond is to the pearl as the sun is to the moon, and we might well call one the “king-gem” and the other the “queen-gem.” The diamond, like a knight of old — brilliant and resistant, is the emblem of fearlessness and invincibility; the pearl, like a lady of old — pure and fair to look upon, is the emblem of modesty and purity."

you’re quoting text from 1913.... most women weren't even wearing pants back then, they though intelligence could be measured by skull circumference, and they had only just stopped putting cocaine in Coca Cola.

Y’all just hyper associating historical context to a garment in which case I better not see any more camo unless you’re military/hunting or boro unless you’re a hardened peasant farmer stitching together rags out of necessity. Besides - that rocky fit isn’t androgenic at all. It’s actually one of the best examples of how pearls can still work in a traditionally masculine fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads