• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

with multi-denim and the western styling of the vest), no tie is casual enough to fit the rest of it.

Unless maybe if you do like Ronald Reagan, Clint Eastwood, Bob Dylan or Vincent Vega and wear a bolo tie.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

^^ I really really don´t get why you wear ties with fits like that. Looks contrived and out of place.

Probably because he makes and sells them. :rimshot:

I think ties work in most of his casual-ish fits and that he does the jeans-and-tie thing better than most people, but I agree that the three-piece Canadian tux may be a bridge too far for the necktie.

(FWIW, I like the three-piece Canadian tux fit if you back out the necktie.)

Unless maybe if you do like Ronald Reagan, Clint Eastwood, Bob Dylan or Vincent Vega and wear a bolo tie.

Or this.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Thinking about it a little further, there may be a way to make the triple-denim-and-tie getup work, but I think it would have to be a really rustic tweed or something heavily textured that might not be a typical tie fabric (duck? can you make a tie out of duck?). Either that or take the western look to the next level and make a tie out of bandanna fabric.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Such a nice day today!

J Crew (tuque)
Cowichan
qlo
APC
Dayton

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sweet boots @frankcopperwood. Who are they by?

Thanks. They are Dinkelacker derbies that I got from Manufactum. Description said they are a waxed suede, which I wouldn't guess from looking at them. So I'm waiting to see if the nap comes up with wear or if, maybe, there was some issue in the translation from the German.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jacket - John Varvatos
Sweater - Theory
Jean's - J Brand
Shoes - Billy Reid

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Was just really oddly proportioned. I'm 5 ft 9ish and 155, typically EU50 in fashion stuff.

Buzz Rickson stuff in general is oddly proportioned - it's very repro, right down to the sizing and cuts. I thought the Gibson jacket might be different.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Buzz Rickson stuff in general is oddly proportioned - it's very repro, right down to the sizing and cuts. I thought the Gibson jacket might be different.

Well the "L" version is slightly elongated and might be to your taste (mine is 36L), it is somewhat bulkier than you'd think by looking at the pic (but then this picture makes me look like I'm balding like Bruce Willis in Die Hard I so not a reliable portrait) but that's part of the charm. I think I'd also be ok with a 38 or 38L, this isn't tailoring. I'd avoid the versions with military (?) patches, a little bit too much unless it is a real one and grandpa served.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I think I kind of like the tie, actually, on its own terms, but with respect to the ensemble I could not agree more.

@NewYorkIslander, do you have any other close-ups of the tie (like your last pic, but with more teddy-bear and less crotch)?

It's clearly a very informal tie, but with an aged, beaten-up "brown and denim" outfit (especially IMO with multi-denim and the western styling of the vest), no tie is casual enough to fit the rest of it.

Ya, made a similar remark a few days ago about another one of his outfits. Ties are cool though, I'd just dress up a little bit more to wear them. I also love the denim on denim on its own, I look a little bit fake when I do it but he's on point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads