• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The West Wing

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
was the greatest show on television. Ever.

Anyone dare to dispute?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it had ended after the first 4 or 5 seasons, you might have a case. That was probably the best drama I've ever seen on TV, but I think that Sorkin's style is polarizing enough to limit its universal appeal. Also off putting to some would be the highly partisan aspect of those first few seasons, before they had a likeable Republican on the show.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I think what B meant to say was "Hell F'in Yes it was the best show ever," and I would agree with him!
smile.gif

But, we're just now through Season 4, so I will have to take his words for the last seasons.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
It had some good seasons, but I still say the original Route 66 with Martin Milner and George Maharis was the best show ever.

And no, I'm not old enough to have watched it when it was first on, but I watched every episode on Nick at Night when I was in college.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I greatly enjoyed it, but I'm certain it isn't the 'greatest' though that point is useless to debate. The best, and worst, part is that it painted a picture of how government ought to be -- people who honestly believe in greater things and a greater good, who believe that a dialectical approach will lead us to the best solution, people who show respect for the responsibilities of the office, people who, in a contiguous and large bloc, have...wait for it...honor.

The bad part of that is that I don't believe it for a second.

Regards,
Huntsman

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only saw the first two and a half seasons of West Wing, but it's one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Other nominees include Freaks and Geeks and Seinfeld, but I think the best drama nod has to go to Deadwood and the best comedy nod has to go to The Simpsons.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I really loved West Wing for the first three or four seasons, so I might be okay with that taking the title for "network".

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
West Wing was witty, delightful, pure nonsensical propaganda. Aaron Sorkin can't write anything without lying to you and shoving didactic Big Truths down your throat. I'm less positive about it than Huntsman, but his analysis is pretty much accurate.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
West Wing was witty, delightful, pure nonsensical propaganda. Aaron Sorkin can't write anything without lying to you and shoving didactic Big Truths down your throat. I'm less positive about it than Huntsman, but his analysis is pretty much accurate.
He certainly is opinionated, but must all fiction be truthful? Or do you just think the way he passes off what he offers disingenuous?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just finished Season Two. The final episode (Two Cathedrals) is the best hour of television I've seen in a long time.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I just finished Season Two. The final episode (Two Cathedrals) is the best hour of television I've seen in a long time.
"Have I displeased you, you feckless thug?" Classic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics