• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Well Worn Wardrobe

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Mr Moo's recent thread "Your Sartorial Evolution" is a good one (both well de-railed and well re-railed) and something of a wake-up call for me. I went through a few years worth of old photos and dug some interesting stuff up each year from 2003-2007 (my pre-SF days) for my post. (http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...7&postcount=61)

I was struck by two things. One, how I got by with relatively little clothing and Two, how well worn and more importantly, how great it all looked together. Clothes look better with *use*, not necessarily age. Il Vecchio is one of the best examples of this. Well worn, but well cared for imparts so much cooler and more stylish an attitude than new and sparkly. Perhaps the real reason why cuff buttons are undone is to pretend the jacket was worn so much, the button fell off. We at SF become quite compulsive shoppers but in the end, our wardrobe rotations are so large that we can never wear-in our clothes. (or urine stain)

Care but don't fuss, wear with abandon and treat the deals as a safety net for when you need the eventual replacement.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, there is something very comforting about slipping into a really familiar garment, initial wear on something new can be irritating, but a bit more, so long as its not catastrophic gives it character.

I thought the sartorial evolution thread was interesting, and would have liked to have seen more peoples evolution.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have about a dozen shirts now with well worn collars and cuffs, and most of my suits are a little worn. I couldn't agree wit you more. I see no reason not to wear a suit or a shirt for 20 years or more.

youngScholar

Reaction score
+1 to this thread, I agree completely.

So how far will many of you repair an article of clothing before throwing it out?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really have not owned my "good stuff" long enough to really see the effects, as my oldest "good stuff" is now reaching around 1.5-2 years old... so far no signs of wear, except for this AE belt I have which looks like crap.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Mr Moo's recent thread "Your Sartorial Evolution" is a good one (both well de-railed and well re-railed) and something of a wake-up call for me. I went through a few years worth of old photos and dug some interesting stuff up each year from 2003-2007 (my pre-SF days) for my post. (http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...7&postcount=61)

I was struck by two things. One, how I got by with relatively little clothing and Two, how well worn and more importantly, how great it all looked together. Clothes look better with *use*, not necessarily age. Il Vecchio is one of the best examples of this. Well worn, but well cared for imparts so much cooler and more stylish an attitude than new and sparkly. Perhaps the real reason why cuff buttons are undone is to pretend the jacket was worn so much, the button fell off. We at SF become quite compulsive shoppers but in the end, our wardrobe rotations are so large that we can never wear-in our clothes. (or urine stain)

Care but don't fuss, wear with abandon and treat the deals as a safety net for when you need the eventual replacement.

+1 BROTHER!
- I for one don't get those that treasure & not derive pleasure from use..
- also now with my limited space, I have had to really think hard what I packed with me to wear & make sure that they all compliment each other

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot to be said for the British idea of reverse snobbery- buy the very best, but use it untill it is old, use it beyond that, until it is completely worn out.

Part of this is budgetary- most people cannot afford the best of everything.

Part of this is sensibility- having a few of the very best keeps one attuned to what the high quality means.

Part of this is philosophical- it is a way to get beyond compulsive mass consumption of mass produced things.

And of course, it appeals to the British.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing cords that are 15 yrs old today.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't give a damn about the British.

That said, I do wear my clothing for the long haul -- typically wardrobe items will shift down from "business" to "casual" and thence to "yardwork".
tnp.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like threads that mention Il Vecchio

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
There is a lot to be said for the British idea of reverse snobbery-

I don't think reverse snobbery is the term you are looking for, British reverse snobbery is, if anything, when a guy in a tracksuit yells abusively at a guy in a suit for his clothing choices.

The concept you describe is certainly one familiar in Britain, particularly with older people, but I wouldn't call it that.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I like threads that mention Il Vecchio

Can we make a shrine thread to Il Vecchio?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads