• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
that's true. but those people you are referring to don't have the extreme styling that jkissi and his buddy do. i'm talking about things like the exact same sleeve roll, pant roll, shirt tuck, bracelets, often we see them both carrying a similar leather bag., etc. while lacking the ability to execute and dress well, i think the general population can still pick up/identify those things, especially when seen in pairs.

this had occurred to me, although I still like the look.

JKISSI

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying sq4you - we share the same influences but express differently but in rare occasions like that one we both had oxfords and chinos on - where the original post was just suppose to be chinos. From a individual looking from the outside in it would appear so - but there are items he has I wouldn't wear and vice versa it varies.

We love to tuck everything in whether its a button up or tee and roll up trousers

It's not like we call each other like let's both wear this! lol

Thanks for all the good words fellas its much appreciated

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think jkissi and his buddy dress really well, but dont you two feel kind of douchy walking around wearing basically the exact same style/clothes?

i think they're representative of a larger style movement going on among urban youth in general. they have other friends i've met, though james jean is the only one whose name comes to mind, with similar tastes and their own spin on the "black dandy" aesthetic. there's also folks like ouigi the bearded man who runs brooklyn circus and the whole "sewn from the soul" project they did that hearkens back to that sense of community as a whole.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
i think they're representative of a larger style movement going on among urban youth in general. they have other friends i've met, though james jean is the only one whose name comes to mind, with similar tastes and their own spin on the "black dandy" aesthetic. there's also folks like ouigi the bearded man who runs brooklyn circus and the whole "sewn from the soul" project they did that hearkens back to that sense of community as a whole.

i didn't understand anything you just said.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The fact that multiple people are invested in a similar quality is more representative of an entire urban community movement, of which fashion is a part, rather than an interest specific to fashion. It's almost like a uniform, in a way.

(JKISSI feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I expected a google translate bar to pop down, but it never did.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jkissi and trav "dressing alike" could be because they're part of a greater community of like-minded people:
P1050961.JPG.jpeg

S.E.jpg

there was a new york times article about it.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's saying that Josh and Trav are a microcosm of this movement happening (mostly in larger cities) centered on a reviving the dandy and modernizing it a bit. This is exemplified in some of their older blog posts that feature their friends/associates.

In other words, they aren't looking all that out of place or conspicuous, because a lot of their contemporaries are dressing similarly.

The Bearded Man's a real character. Some of his past outfits make Josh and Trav's look almost subdued. Real interesting guy, too:

bearddmann.png

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it works to their favour that they dress similarly, means the aesthetics go together. It's also indicative of a good friendship, when you can see yourself in someone else and vice versa (no gay jokes plz). Whoever said it up top is right that this is more common than you might think, many close friends have similar appearances, mannerisms and tastes not by coincidence but through their friendship and hence can end up looking similiar to eachother like jkissi and his friend.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I owe ctrlalite a Coke.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vonWitzleben
Great! Love that outfit, maybe even more without the scarf. The dotted patterns mash up with the stripes a bit too much for my taste.

May I ask what the shorts are? I am still on the hunt for some more wearable shorts like that.

Thanks. The shorts are YMC but two years old. They still do the same block but in different fabrics.

Originally Posted by MortyGras
I'm looking forward to grey hair.
I hope ******* still works when i get there.

It will.

Originally Posted by asobu
Berlin + Jkissi - thanks for being awesome.

Where is JDMay btw? I need him log back on and buy my jil cardigan - it would be a match made in heaven

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Wupper
berlin report, that looks awesome. The scarf isn't neccessary IMO but the rest is top notch.
Yes, the scarf issue. Its silk and really weightless. I brought it along just in case it got chilly in the evening. Its fashion week in Berlin and I'm running around the whole day.

Originally Posted by Boddington
Berlin-probably my favorite summer fit. Ever.

Originally Posted by mattt
Berlin and Jkissi flawless as usual.

Originally Posted by DLester
Berlin and JKissi, y'all look great.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
jkissi and trav "dressing alike" could be because they're part of a greater community of like-minded people:
P1050961.JPG.jpeg
S.E.jpg
there was a new york times article about it.

I believe the term you're looking for is "Black" (no racist)

JKISSI

Reaction score
Most of you guys hit it on the head for the most part what is even more interesting its a circle of friends and colleagues which keeps expanding based on our similar taste whether musically or sartorially. The New York Times article is correct which is more of a generalization of the whole kind of movement thats going on - we're all apart of this big circle of dressing well but when talking about micro circle of friends I have which are more of African American descent I find big corporations constantly asking me what would I label it as whether ''blipsters = black hipsters", "urban dandys" "black prep" sometimes frustrating - I just feel like none of us own the label just live the lifestyle . Its a lot more than the physical clothing itself but thats a whole other convo at hand lol

Sorry for the rambling a lot on my mind lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads