The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

Uncontrol, good looking out; thanks. I would love to hear more about specific issues since starting over using only the same knowledge as when I dressed myself the first time and nothing added since isn't likely to end in superior results.

A few suggestions:

- Ditch the hat altogether
    - Ditch the tie
    - Roll up sleeves
    - You may or may not want to tuck shirt in
    - Shave

Doing all this won't make you look spectacular but I think it would make you look a little better.

2. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

[​IMG] Three questions: Are DBs okay to wear with pants like this? Are the fit of the pants okay? Is the shirt too big? Fire away. [​IMG]
    hendrix, what exactly is wrong with the fit of the polo and pants? I mean, the sleeves on the polo look like where it goes wrong, but the fit otherwise looks ok to me?

3. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Senior member

Someone needs to breathe some life back into WAYWT.

But FWIW, those W+H tiger fleece hoodies aren't that terrible; it's just that the color block ones look wonky on most people, myself included. The solid colored ones are alright for lounging around in.

I agree with this. I have a tiger fleece and I love it. It's easily my softest/most comfortable/warmest sweatshirt and I live in it during the fall/early winter (I live in the midwest so I can't wear it in the dead of winter).

However, I really dislike the grey/blue/black standard colors that they come in nowadays because the peppered look is too strong. I prefer the colors they produced from the older seasons (red, olive, navy, etc.) which had a more subtle pattern, but those are really hard to come by anymore. I was lucky enough to snag one up in olive. Don't have a full-on fit pic of it but here's a snip from a few months back:

[​IMG]

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

First time posting here -- recent pay increases combined with a sudden girlfriend decrease have made me much more image conscious, and you guys are my only hope at refinement.

Hmmm, I think a few of those pieces could be used as is, just not together. The biggest problem is there's a total mismatch of formality levels and colors and such. The hat's ok, but needs to be worn with a polo and slim shorts or something. The tie's ok, but would look better under a sweater or with a charcoal vest, white shirt, and blue jeans to go to a club or a suit. The shirt looks too big and baggy. Either wear it as is unbuttoned at the top and casually, or get it tailored so it fits and then tuck it in. Those shorts are fine, but they're casual, like t-shirt hanging on the beach casual. Never wear a tie without a jacket, unless it's under something like a vest or sweater. Vans are casual, almost too casual IMO if you're over 18. Well, taht's a start.

before anyone crucifies me for the above advice, I do realize it's not SF taste, just what the average dude probably wants to know.

5. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Alright, better version.

[​IMG]
    Alt A.
    MxMJ
    Chucks

Seriously though, photos can't capture how these shirts were made for my odd proportions, especially post-wash. They're not too tight in the chest/soulders but manage not to look like tents or be wayyy too long.

Yeah, that t-shirt fits great. You said it was Alternative Apparel... what cut/fit?

6. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

7. DaveD

DaveD Member

Hmmm, I think a few of those pieces could be used as is, just not together. The biggest problem is there's a total mismatch of formality levels and colors and such. The hat's ok, but needs to be worn with a polo and slim shorts or something. The tie's ok, but would look better under a sweater or with a charcoal vest, white shirt, and blue jeans to go to a club or a suit. The shirt looks too big and baggy. Either wear it as is unbuttoned at the top and casually, or get it tailored so it fits and then tuck it in. Those shorts are fine, but they're casual, like t-shirt hanging on the beach casual. Never wear a tie without a jacket, unless it's under something like a vest or sweater. Vans are casual, almost too casual IMO if you're over 18. Well, taht's a start.

before anyone crucifies me for the above advice, I do realize it's not SF taste, just what the average dude probably wants to know.

Thanks so much for the input, man. Informality wasn't a concern today because I was meeting people at a pool (t-shirt and cargo shorts being the standard for everyone else), but your observations/views on the individual items and how they work together definitely gives me something to think about.

Appreciate your input.

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

way better than the julius

i like this one too.

hendrix, what exactly is wrong with the fit of the polo and pants?

I mean, the sleeves on the polo look like where it goes wrong, but the fit otherwise looks ok to me?

yeah it's the sleeves. Can't really tell about the rest of it, and it looks bad tucked in like that. i don't really like the colour either.

the fit of the trousers isn't that bad. If they had a slightly lower rise and a slightly less washed out colour it would look good. BB1 hit the nail:
    If it was me, the first thing I'd swap out is those trousers. The washed-out beige color, leg creases, and fuller-cut just screams "middle management".

If the colour was just slightly darker, a bit lower rise and just a touch slimmer fit, it'd look good.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

If the colour was just slightly darker, a bit lower rise and just a touch slimmer fit, it'd look good.

Thanks. I'll return these tomorrow and try it again. [​IMG]

10. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

today's forecast... 83 degrees and boring. testing out my new cam. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

12. ctrlaltelite

thanks, i made a shitload when i was in college. i have a boba fett one and a darth vader that are still complete. i hate wearing just tees if i'm not doing something active, so sometimes i'll throw one on for the hell of it.

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

How do you tie a trench belt?? [​IMG] [​IMG] Margiela Trench Lad tie N. Hoolywood shirt/trousers

14. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

Cool planet of the apes necklace dog

15. ctrlaltelite

How do you tie a trench belt??

Margiela Trench
    Lad tie
    N. Hoolywood shirt/trousers

i like the knot in the middle with a little slack, it looks real good imo on skinny folks. i have trouble with trenches though since i'm short... really like some of the mmm ones though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.