• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddin

Reaction score
on the one hand, i think it's pretty dumb for people to be super elitist about subjective value judgments either for or against just about anything. and it's pretty annoying when self proclaimed aficionados shout down anyone who doesn't agree with their opinions on avant garde art/music of any kind. however, this is the internet, and more specifically a niche message board, and if you can't come with an argument for your opinion on that niche that's better than "this is my opinion and i'm allowed to have one" then you're gonna get sonned and that's that.

puddin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
the other guy is just being as juvenile as it gets (see his sigs)

hah, hadn't even looked. well you've got a point there...

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by puddin
on the one hand, i think it's pretty dumb for people to be super elitist about subjective value judgments either for or against just about anything. and it's pretty annoying when self proclaimed aficionados shout down anyone who doesn't agree with their opinions on avant garde art/music of any kind. however, this is the internet, and more specifically a niche message board, and if you can't come with an argument for your opinion on that niche that's better than "this is my opinion and i'm allowed to have one" then you're gonna get sonned and that's that.
I think there's idiocy on both sides, but what I don't understand is why if one didn't like the dude's outfit and they don't have a PhD in high fashion, their opinion is not valid. At first I thought ppl were joking (and maybe they still are), but to me the whole discussion amounts to "the only reason you don't like the outfit is because you don't understand it" or w/e condescending explanation people offered At the end of the day fashion to a large degree is personal and visceral, and it seems silly to me that an outfit needs some prerequisite knowledge to be appreciated. Good looking clothes look good and need no context or explanation.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that Fertilizer's fits were poor representatives of the looser silhouette. It's like convincing gangsta rap fans to like avant garde hip-hop but using Bleubird and Cage as examples.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point is do not criticize anything w/o merit or knowledge background. You don't have to like an outfit, the problem arose when you start criticizing it especially after folks explained to you what the cultural backgrounds behind the design of the clothes.

And by the way, does the other guy even know what the **** hipster is? I smell a ban.

Schpacko

Reaction score
This is the last thing im going to say about this topic.

Cool the kid put it in words much better than i could and his last post is pretty much my opinion. All i wanted to say was:

- are you serious? (i really wanted to know)
- IMO this looks ridiculous

Once more it then completely derailed and i should punch myself in the face for being partly responsible for that. Sorry to all the other readers who had to read all this stupid and completely irrelevant bullshit written by me or someone else.

PS: aeglus, you're right. I just removed my sigs for the sake of peace and good vibrations on this forum. I'm really trying hard not to be a dick (which i am not at all in real life, i swear), but some people in here just drive me fuckin mad sometimes. I'm a member in many forums, but this is by far the one with the most negative energy. LOL, sounds kinda starwarsy, but its true.

cez

Reaction score
4746290118_4846e915c3_b.jpg
4745651275_1a6736c8d0_b.jpg
BS H&M Dior NDC

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cez, nice fits, but it's like a million degrees in NY right now... where are you?

cez

Reaction score
lol, Upper Westchester. Its hot as balls but surprisingly comfortable even with the jacket on. It arrived yesterday and I was trying it on to make sure I liked it enough to keep. Not as humid as it was yesterday and the breeze helps but nonetheless hot.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fertilizer's fits were obviously pollarizing, but not half as much as his attitude was. Seems there were a few who got it AND dug it... as well as some who got it and didn't (myself included). The problems came from those who didn't get it, lambasted it, and couldn't back their **** up, which is an ongoing saga here and tries the patience of many a member.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cocostella
Fertilizer's fits were obviously pollarizing, but not half as much as his attitude was. Seems there were a few who got it AND dug it... as well as some who got it and didn't (myself included). The problems came from those who didn't get it, lambasted it, and couldn't back their **** up, which is an ongoing saga here and tries the patience of many a member.
Why does one have to "get" an outfit to say whether or not it's good or bad? That's what I'm missing here

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Why does one have to "get" an outfit to say whether or not it's good or bad? That's what I'm missing here

You don't have to be a director to say you don't like a movie, but I don't think film heads would take my critique of a film I didn't "get" too seriously.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simply saying something looks ridiculous w/o any particular reason is plain stupid. Other members have already explained the cultural backgrounds and functionality behind the bondage pants. You may not like what he's wearing, but at least appreciate it. Saying it looks stupid, therefore it sucks doesn't stand on a fashion message board or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads