The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrFaustus

DrFaustus Senior member

^ lazy

Very true... 98 degrees will do that to you.

2. barims

barims Senior member

Anyone with steez can make polos work, still doesn't mean polo's are steezy.
    Seriously though, looking good in a polo is all about: filling out the sleeves/chest and having a tapered athletic fit, as well having a collar that isn't too stiff or big and isn't too wimpy. They're good for people who want to wear t-shirts but need a little more structure.

I think these are the most accurate distillations of the polo look, they also allow for flourishes that may look daft on basic t-shirt designs, such as embroidered badges and horizontal stripes (St. James and other nautical tops excepted), as well as the braces sported by skins and rudeboys

Conversely, graphic polos strike me as uniformly ugly

recycled fit pic for jet, uncontrol and all the other polo haters

[​IMG]

This illustrates Eason’s point well, but I'd like to partially retract my statement on badged/insignia'd polos now

Never cared for you fits too much before, seemed flashy. The tweaks you have made make a huge difference. The facial hair, the shorter cut, the glasses and the slightly more subdued fits (specifically that last one) are a fucking sea change. Completely badass.

Thank you. It’s been noted before that I’ve changed subtly since I joined, and it’s rather deliberate, indeed

Mind you, a majority of my clothes are dark; most of the suits, for one. Perhaps one day I’ll post an all-murky ensemble

i wish i could grow facial hair.

Children will run in terror and women will no longer even air-kiss you. And perhaps threaten to stop shaving, themselves

Beard is doing it for me, especially with big sunglasses.

Thanks, and I rather liked your khaki jacket ensemble. Blocked photohosts at work meant that I didn’t see it for a week

You need a third world country to rule with an AK. Beard is awesome especially with sunglasses and you're making me eager for my db to finish up.

Well, I am in Ghana; truth be told, another dictatorship here might shake many residents out of their complacency and self-satisfaction, although I find it a rather ugly business at the end of the day

Is it your first DB?

see Barims for how sunglasses should be done, damn that's good.

Much obliged

middle pic is fantastic, quite sophisticated my friend

Merci, mon ami

If barims put an album or book out, I would buy it.
    +1!

I’m obsessed with alternate Japanese music, so the album would be deeply unfashionable and dangerously twee

Since beginning my Mode Parade blogcolumn, I’ve been published twice (The Chap’s anniversary issue and the new book, Fashion Blogs, that’s just begun its release schedule), although I’d hardly call them essential reads

My Ghanaian-British experience is probably a decent seam to mine for a novel, but I’ve a poor memory for the good stuff

that beard makes me gag

Can we still be friends?

Barims, love the look, club collar in particular looks great, not a fan of the beard, and this is coming from someone with perpetual ratty facial hair

Cheers; I had need to shave the beard recently, and will post photographs accordingly

Incidentally, it’s not a club collar – it doesn’t take collar stays, so tends to flap

barims is so awesome it's incredible. thanks for killing it.

High praise appreciated

the beard and glasses put barims into labelking territory. a good place to be, imo.

I have the feeling LabelKing would highly approve of said eyewear.

I am a fan of deliberate eyewear so indeed.

I’d say we’re just children of Michael Caine, amongst others

[​IMG]

I’m sure some of you find Caine’s eyeframes familiar. Going back to a chat on this thread with LK a little while ago, the Goliaths they wear were originally designed by a company named Ultra (I think that photo dates back to 1980 or so, and that Caine has been one of the best eyeframe amabassadors ever during his career – his 1960s and 1970s tastes are a treat)

Point is, at the time I admitted that I’d tracked down 3 other Ultra models. And those are 2 of them

The Monarch's style is very Elton John - or perhaps Mark Chapman - but as has been pointed out, they’re best worn to embellish an otherwise temperate outfit. Then again, I recently wore them with a silk brocade, paisley design dinner jacket, so I can’t always claim good sense

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

*jumps in to defend John Daly's pride and honor*

i had to as well

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

+1 for polos [​IMG] H&M MxMJ Chucks

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

+1 for polos
    [​IMG]
    H&M
    MxMJ
    Chucks

would look better if it was a t-shirt

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Why do chucks always make people's knees look like they're bending the wrong way? That can't be comfortable.

7. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

The best thing that could happen to styleforum would be if that guy from A Continuous Lean started his own forums.

So those of us who like polos are ACL fans? I'm certainly not but if it fits your prejudices fire ahead and think that.

8. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

+1 for polos [​IMG] H&M MxMJ Chucks
    Ooooh well hold on there buddy. It's true that that's a pretty good polo fit (though on the tighter side) but it doesn't work at all with those dark, more fully-cut jeans. You need contrast and an equally tight fit on the lower half to make it cool. If you can't go any tighter than the jeans you're wearing then I recommend at least a change to some colored jeans/pants.

9. chronoaug

So those of us who like polos are ACL fans? I'm certainly not but if it fits your prejudices fire ahead and think that.
    Missed the point of the post. But yea, could cause sf to lose a lot of members if it gained popularity

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

11. chronoaug

Nice edit [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alt app
    iron heart 301s
    w+h

welcome back, don't stay away so long next time.

An ACL forum would probably assure no need for J Crew threads.
    it'd be a win win most likely as it would free up space for more runway and designer steez here.

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

it'd be a win win most likely as it would free up space for more sheer leopard print and silly sneaker steez here.

YEAH

14. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

YEAH

Nice edit [​IMG]

15. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

[​IMG]

Your avatar is doughy jfk lookin' all stone cold menswear classic on a boat. Yes, that fits my "prejudices", and I'm going fire ahead and think that you're in that old picture americana fetishism crowd whether you like ACL or not. I'd say that's pretty reasonable but I could very well be wrong! v[​IMG]v

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.