1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

When did I ever express my views on anything other than other people's views? You're out of your element, guy.

2. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

On my left arm there is a tattoo of my credit card

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

On the other hand, if people didn't make judgments about tattoos, no one would get tattoos.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Today I'm wearing;

Charles Tyrwhitt navy/silver striped shirt

J Brand Deep Purple skinny denim jeans

Later:( if I go out)[​IMG]

Levi's black parka jacket

Sketchers black nubuck Shape Ups

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

Dude, you are making a categorization error. You don't have a choice in your gender, race, sexual orientation, whether or not you have a disability. Getting a tat is a conscious form of self-expression. Choices always come at a price. No one owes you acceptance. Tolerance, yes, that's the basis of a civil society. But no one owes you welcome arms.

17 people like this.
  6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I'm sure the share holders of the firm care significantly more about profits then letting people with visible tattoos work for the company. Who the fuck even has visible tattoos that can't be covered up with a suit. Whilst we're going with your views I guess we just shouldn't have dress codes either at work, if I want to go meet a client naked who cares as long as I can pitch their debt well.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Being racist is a choice. Getting a tattoo is a choice.
    People judge racists and by your logic, people should judge those with tattoos too.

How you dress definitely matters. Would you purposely dress to look discombobulated for a meeting or for a date? What you wear is a choice as well. A tattoo is similar, except it can't be taken off at will.

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

The model for Forward with the forehead (and other awful) tattoos. Then again, I doubt he has delusions of getting into medicine/law/private equity/etc. etc.

9. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

FTFY. From my limited experience, Asian females are set up for success. Males get the short end of the stick.

10. olo3000

olo3000 Member

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

I would hire a dude with a full body tat if he was a good programmer. On the other hand, I'm not going to hire him to pitch school principals, probably. In creative fields, it's a toss up. If you want a ton of tats, cool. I think that they could look cool. But don't get pissy by the fact that your self-expression may limit your career paths.

Law and finance are generally really boring, BTW.

1 person likes this.
  12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I absolutely agree that tattoos can affect your career in certain fields. No argument. Presentation matters, we all know that.

What I don't understand is why Doctor A's career path is negatively affected when patient X decides to doubt him based on his tattoos. The patient either gets over it, or goes and sees another doctor in the same hospital. Unless you're paid per patient like in some small firm or you run your own clinic, I can't see how this is a big deal.

If you're a salesman or some type of negotiator, sure it's a big deal if a client doesn't like you. It seems a different scenario though.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Do you know how referrals work?

If patient X goes back to Doc that referred him/her and goes, "I didn't really like them," then the person referring them is going to start sending patients elsewhere if it happens enough.

It's really not that hard to understand. This is different than being an ER doc where the patient has absolutely no choice.

14. Auximenes

Auximenes Senior member

for fuck sake can u pls all stop that tattoo talk ??

17 people like this.
  15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Eh, OK...

16. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

hendrix - one thing that might be playing into it is that in NZ/Aus it seems tattoos are much more varied and accepted (especially in NZ with the Maori heritage/influence). Almost all teachers have tattoos here - visible ones, and no one cares and it doesn't change employment prospects because getting a tattoo, in of itself, doesn't really reveal anything about the person other than they wanted a tattoo (assuming it's not a political one, or a swastika, or a 'fuck you yuppies' or something else). In my last job there was myself and one other staff member under 35 without a tattoo, in this job it's pretty similar.

Maybe other places are still hung up on it, I don't know. Sure seems that way.

1 person likes this.
  17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't care if someone has tattoos. In my industry it doesn't really matter (or at least it doesn't seem to). I imagine that if I had my own company, I still wouldn't care.

Where would you draw the line? Neck tattoos? Facial tattoos? Teeth filed into pointy tips? The knobby things people get inserted beneath their skin? I think the issue is that certain choices eliminate your ability to fly under the radar. They keep the focus on you when the focus should be on the work, the pitch, whatever. This matters in some industries, and to act as though customer perceptions about body modifications is equivalent to racism or sexism is insulting.

Dammit, Moo, look what you've done.

18. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Perception > reality

19. raags

raags Senior member

Got excited logging on to see 60 new posts in this thread :(

4 people like this.
  20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Fueco is either the best new troll, or hella stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.