1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

And this is why the older tech companies became irrelevant when companies like Apple and Netflix came around.

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I'm sitting at Apple right now after walking in a candidate. Think again. Depends on the hiring manager or their boss.

If people are equally qualified, it makes sense to choose the person least likely to potentially offend/be written off/judged/whatever.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Well, it's the company's loss then. Some of the brightest people I know are covered in tattoos and piercings.

I don't have any tattoos or piercings, but I sure as hell know better than to prejudge people who do.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Why can't you goobers grasp that a lot of people see tattoos negatively? If you are hiring for a client-facing position and one of two equally qualified candidates has a visible tattoo, why in the world would you take that risk?

3 people like this.
  5. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

I think that movie "The Internship" with Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan was a really good and unbiased example of how a progressive tech company functions in it's diverse hiring practises. you should take note, moo

2 people like this.
  6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Many things seem to get lost in translation from the keyboard to the screen.

He was not recommended for hire because his outward appearance could be perceived in a negative light amongst future clients. This was for a client facing role, dealing with C-level people of major companies in the United States. I would not want to put my name behind, or sit next to someone in a meeting with the top people at Tesla (for example), who may be perceived by potential or current clients as being something other than a fine representative of the company for which he works. It's just one thing I would rather not worry about.

For the record, I don't work in tech. Not everyone who lives in the Bay Area works in tech. :embar:

2 people like this.
  7. BreezyBirch

but he was powerful!

you suits like power, don't you?

2 people like this.
  8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Less movies, more real life... I've seen the process at all of the "hot" companies, it really varies from specific position to position.

I work in tech. Think about the perception of tattoos among older folks, more conservative folks, other countries etc. There's a pretty decent chance there will be someone at your work or a client or a business partner etc. who falms into that category regardless of "company culture".

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Not a thing. When I am making a recommendation for hire it's not about my perception, but weighing the pros/cons of something about a candidate, how it will play in my field, will it be viewed pos/neg, etc. The more I have to think about something non-intelligence/skills/position related with regard to a new hire, the less I want to recommend them for hire.

1 person likes this.
  10. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Summer's here

[​IMG]

linda farrow/the row
    baron wells
    3 sixteen
    alden

32 people like this.
  11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

This is such a dumb comment.
    No shit people weren't born with tattoos.
    People aren't born with their friends or their spouse or where they're going to live for the rest of their lives either. The point is that it has nothing to do with your ability to do your job.

And I get it, you know it's stupid but stupid patients are going to judge you right?
    I have no idea what it's like in the US, but in my part of the world doctors aren't salesmen. You want to see a different doctor? Fine, that's your choice. You're going to be stuck in the cue for another couple of hours but sure, go for it.

2 people like this.
  12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

anyway, dumb conversation.

2 people like this.
  13. BreezyBirch

I respect that you work in tech; I use technology daily and really appreciate the work that you do. But are you saying, then, that Google should not have hired Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan just because they're old? I think that kind of ageism is exactly the same kind of prejudice as the tattooism that Moo and his fellow boomers in risk management exhibit. It's no different.

We really need to open our minds and hearts so that all these preconceived notions about what kind of people are judged on their appearance is eschewed. Come on guys.

Unless you're fat, though. Eww

7 people like this.
  14. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

the subtlety has been a bit much for some people ITT Breezy

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

The counter-trolling is getting interesting.

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Fuck. I have shell derby's that I'm on the fence about keeping. This fit makes me want to keep them.

XD.

17. BreezyBirch

sorry I meant to quote this in my above post. I'm not very tech savvy

4 people like this.
  18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hey, Moo, serious question: What about my earrings? Would they prevent your recommending me assuming I was otherwise qualified?

EDIT

NVM. I saw your follow-up, and I probably wouldn't recommend me either in the same circumstances. :)

I don't think tech companies are actually that progressive about the people they hire. They suck at getting the best out of women, or even giving them opportunities to succeed. They don't seem to do well with African-Americans, either. And heaven help you if you don't want to wear jeans and a polo. Look at Phat Guido's business casual transformation required to work at Apple.

Folks should feel free to wear/decorate as they see fit, but it's naive to act as though these things don't have connotations and consequences. Which may be bullshit, but it's real bullshit.

6 people like this.
  19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Probably. Again, I work in a staid profession, and while my particular firm is progressive and pretty damn exciting in what we're doing, we are not going to hire someone if more than one person of the firm starts questioning things like outward appearance, client perception, etc.

20. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

i work in tech, i agree with moo's decision. i just wanted an opportunity to call him a freakin nerd.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.