• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWorksheets

Reaction score

Benes, the problem with pursuing the Yohji aesthetic is that it is not an inexpensive buy-in. Your posts in this thread and Recent Purchases indicate that you're trying to push back against that truism. There are good Y! Japan deals to be had, but in browsing the Yohji thread, I'd say you either need to luck out or pony up for a lot of the good stuff. Your recent purchases feel like a hodgepodge of Yohji undesirables and alternate brand stuff that you (wrongly) think fits with the Yohji look.

Ask yourself whether or not you really wanna dive down the Yohji rabbit hole. Unlike a lot of other aesthetics you see around here, it's not one you can kinda, sorta go in on and expect good results. If you decide the Yohji look is what you want, then at least take a break from making so many purchases that seem to be based on either great deals or because the item might gel with Yohji in a vague sort of way.

I think the other thing people might not realize about older Yohji is that some of it is really really kitschy and unapologetically tacky. Dudes like me and Bene who are budget constrained have to pick pieces from these older offerings, and without a really focused idea of what will work you're going to end up with a lot of misses. I've totally fallen victim to this too, however I'm a lot less likely to post photos of my missteps than Benes (<- and I mean this as a sort of back-handed compliment).

IMO a lot of the poster boys I/we look to for Yohji fits have some combination of these traits:

1. extremely good taste (important when dealing with older yohji)

2. the ability to pull off almost anything (important when wearing dresses/hakamas/jelly fish pants)

3. have been buying yohji for a long time and really 'get' his themes

4. they are buying stuff from the newer seasons, which are not as dark and anti-fit

*obviously not all of these are specific to Yohji (ie. 1 & 2)

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Adidas
Ervell
ripoff Vans.

Last edited:

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hendrix, I know you're melting down there in the Shire but come on, man. Find a plain loose white tank and you would have been in business.

My memory of that was everyone calling him a pretentious bellend and telling him to spend his money on drugs instead.

This. I don't recall anyone particularly liking his RO fits.

Last edited:

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found an old pair of corduroy pants hanging out in the bottom of one of my dresser drawers, so I did this:

Gonna have to think about how to wear this sweater a bit harder—I didn't realize it would be cropped so short. I have a pair of navy trousers that would probably look far better here, but they need to be let out about a quarter inch in length. Time to get creative I guess?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gonna have to think about how to wear this sweater a bit harder—I didn't realize it would be cropped so short. I have a pair of navy trousers that would probably look far better here, but they need to be let out about a quarter inch in length. Time to get creative I guess?

As you know, it's actually a sweatshirt. Sneakers and faded jeans or cutoff shorts should work fine.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jesus I'm old because my mind went to Sam and Diane. :uhoh:

could have been worse, oh wait. no it couldnt, there were no tv shows before that. i keed i keed.

I'm not sure I actually get the difference between sweater and sweatshirt...

to me, a sweater generally has texture to it, and can be a variety of materials, while a sweatshirt is flat, and cotton, poly or cotton/poly blend.

hard to tell from your pics, but i would call it a sweater, especially due to the cuffs and hem.

sweater

or

sweatshirt

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, for me, a cardigan has to have buttons. so the SNS is guess is a cardigan. but i would call anything else without buttons, in my aforementioned definition of sweaters, a sweater.

please dont kill me.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
let's get pedantic because it's better than whatever was going on before.

sweater is knit, sweatshirt is woven maybe, since you can have knit cotton sweaters?

UK crew - where does jumper fall into this? is that just a sweater or sweatshirt that is a pullover of some kind?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

let's get pedantic because it's better than whatever was going on before.

sweater is knit, sweatshirt is woven maybe, since you can have knit cotton sweaters?

UK crew - where does jumper fall into this? is that just a sweater or sweatshirt that is a pullover of some kind?

yay for pedantics!!

like hendrix, i thought jumper just meant what one would call a crew or v neck pullover sweater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads