1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

She's a kind, articulate, well-respected woman who took time out of her packed schedule to grant me an interview. All you guys can talk about is fucking her. I think she's beautiful, true; but if you need me to explain to you why this persistent commentary crossing a line, I don't know what to tell you.

28 people like this.
  2. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Seriously dude? I know this is internet bro zone, but do we have to jump to sex and rape jokes every time somebody posts a picture of a girl? It's especially dumb in this case because she's dressed in a style that explicitly rejects sexualization.

18 people like this.
  3. magicalporks

magicalporks Senior member

I mean, they're in bad taste regardless, so whether or not you think that's a big deal why not just stop since brad doesn't seem comfortable with them?

edit: brad and afl said it better [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Someone asks you directly to stop making unsolicited sexual comments about a colleague and instead of respecting their wish by shutting up you double down and suggest that "it's not a big deal?" SF has way too many man-children these days.

3 people like this.
  5. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

No one is actually serious ( I hope, I am pretty sure distorbiant is actively trolling brad), this is an online forum about clothing. No one is actually being effected in anyway by the talking that goes on here. No one who is actually inclined to think and act this way in real life is going to be more or less encouraged by this forum. This is pretty much inconsequential banter, and to act like it crosses a real line is just stupid

Also, I never actually made any sexual comments about brad and this girl. Just pedo bear because of the whole lolita/fuuma rape comment.

I just don't care that other people are making the joke. And colleague is being generous. This isn't an office or workplace.

2 people like this.
  6. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I hope the first brain surgery you ever perform is an auto-lobotomy.

10 people like this.
  7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

omfg

After over a year, the brad-t vs benesyed feud is back on. I have been waiting for this day.

2 people like this.
  8. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

if you haven't noticed, sf is basically the reddit of the men's fashion world...

1 person likes this.
  9. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

And deny the future patient of my skill, why would I do that? :)

In any case, I have to admit that I think respecting Brad's discomfort is a good reason to not make these jokes.

I just don't think these jokes are significant or cross major lines. I disagree with you on the intrinsic "evil" of the comments. I think aside from your offense to them, they are unimportant and nothing to get worked up about.

10. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

[​IMG]

11. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

yeah... i'm just going to point out that while it may reject overt sexualization a la showing skin, it still intrinsically calls for a lot of fetishization, especially with the moe/kawaii culture in japan...

5 people like this.
  12. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

I thought r/mensfashion was the reddit of the men's fashion world

1 person likes this.
  13. A Fellow Linguist

How can something call for fetishization? Is it like asking to be raped? Maybe the comparison is extreme, but the over the top, almost aggressive innocence of lolita is in many ways meant to subvert the male gaze. It takes "moe/kawaii" culture and turns it up to 11, bringing with it a new set of aesthetic values that deliberately puts off random dudes on the street while providing an avenue to build a kind of non-mainstream, but still distinctly feminine, identity.

10 people like this.
  14. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

ideals and actual practice usually end up being very different. communism would have been a shit ton better if you know... economic equality was pursued without the need for hierarchal intervention.

15. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I guess we will all just have to agree to disagree

In any case, I am sorry to have offended you brad. No beef?

16. A Fellow Linguist

So what? People shouldn't dress that way because there are perverts out there? Everyone should probably just put burlap sacks on, just to be safe.

17. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Brad, does she travel around with an interpreter or did someone provide her for the interview? Did you pick up any cool japanese expressions or something like that?
    Sure would be useful if you end up traveling someday.

1 person likes this.
  18. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

X-post

3 people like this.
  19. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

chill with the white knighting. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that they shouldn't. everyone has the right to their own happiness. the unfortunate reality of the situation though, for better or for worse, is that lolita culture and all parts thereof are fetishized, and thus, sexualized. there are fucking people out there who are into furries and weird fucking shit like that too. it's not like sexual deviancy is some modern day invention. it's like the fucking rule 34 of life.

4 people like this.
  20. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

She doesn't travel with an interpreter, but we were able to arrange one for the meeting. He was a novice at it but very very helpful. :)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.