1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

nahneun - yeah i know, dude. normally i don't care - but for some reason i was feeling cranky...must have been the donuts

edit: thx slstr

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

hmmm... sometimes when we call regis an 80s drug cartel jeffe does that mean we are misrepresenting ourselves?

i think its kinda neat to make these comparisons. maybe if it was said that you looked like a sleazy rockstar (im sure synth can come up with something waaaaay better) would it be more of a compliment/more genuine?

...i dunno

HAPPY CANADA DAY BUDS!!!!!!!!!

3. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Here's the thing though, slstr. Your body will obviously affect how your clothing ends up being worn. A fat guy wearing a BoO shirt a size too small or a skin tight Julius will look bad, no matter how you dice it. He might be oozing with the quintessential SWAGGGG that can make or break fits, but it'll still be bad. Your natural aura will affect how comfortable you look in your clothes, but a bad look is bad no matter what. Different clothes are made for different body types and there is no one size fits all solution (well...maybe Yohji is as close as you can get to this). If you're posting a fit on the internet and your body is negatively affecting the fit of the clothes, people will comment on it.

2 people like this.
  4. BillKillgore

BillKillgore Senior member

Wouldn't it be disingenuous if he had kept his mouth shut? Just imagine you had terribly bad breath, wouldn't you appreciate someone actually telling you about it?

Nobody here is criticising people's bodies, but rather their choice of clothes to go with that very same body. At some point you should just accept that a certain aesthetic might not work out for your body type and start dressing accordingly.

Also the internet as a whole might not be the best place for you if you can't take a little criticism.

5. BreezyBirch

you're right snow, it is cool to make these comparisons. i totally appreciate them and the place that they come from. i just wanted to point out how eventually the language that we use to describe those comparisons invariably just kind of inveigles itself into our vernacular, and that that's where we need to be careful - or rather just aware. like maybe just have your own check-in so that you can back up the extended comparison that you're making to rockstar/cokedealer/etc. and then it can be boiled down to a few words...get used and rinsed and repeated and enter the every-day use without the weight and reference it had before it and then it someone becomes disingenuous. my gf tells me i like that word because i use it so often. disingenuous. don't do it!

SIGH

6. BillKillgore

BillKillgore Senior member

It might be because english isn't my first language, but please point out to me how I'm wrong.

7. vegs

vegs Well-Known Member

Please stop perpetuating this

1 person likes this.
  8. slstr

slstr Senior member

I suppose I agree to an extent, but then a skinny guy wearing a BoO shirt a size too small will look bad too, that's a question of sizing... not of your body shape. Here's the thing though, if you're fat or overweight, no clothes you wear are going to instantly make you look skinny. Sure there's clothes that don't suit people of that size, julius/skinny jeans etc, and I guess in that case it might be okay to bring that up? But I'm still not sure. All clothes are going to look better on you if you're skinny, that's a simple and sad fact. But breezy was wearing pants and a tee, there's nothing unsuited to his body type in that and it's just not anyone's place here to bring up his body shape, even if it is making his clothes look worse, this isn't the place to talk about it and just not a thing that should be commented on. I can accept that it will be commented on, but that doesn't mean it should be.
    You can change bad breath, and it's universally accepted as bad. Being overweight should not be seen as 'bad', some people are comfortable being overweight, some people can't help it, not everyone wants to or can be skinny and perfectly in shape, so it's not a thing that should be brought up as it just brings shame and self deprecation.

Would someone like to point out what is 'dressing accordingly' for someone who is overweight??

1 person likes this.
  9. BreezyBirch

how do i point out you misunderstood completely? i believe the qualifiers that i couched my entire argument could maybe give you a little more direction as to how to understand my rant?

hehe damn now i sure am sheepish talking about myself as a microcosm of the macrocosm

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

no hate, but this was too easy.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

When I saw that snippet in the thread preview, for some reason I was immediately convinced it would be a facetious response to this --

-- involving a GIF of Homer Simpson at 300lbs in a muumuu.

[​IMG]

12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Sorry, but I'm going to point out that this sentiment is a cultural product. Being overweight is not socially acceptable in all parts of the world. In Japan, if you can legally be fined for being over a certain waist size. Personally, I strongly believe that obesity is an epidemic that needs to be curbed immediately.

9 people like this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

ill leave the bad breath analogy out.

sometimes people are criticizing the clothes as to their fit on a persons body, and that is not always bad. such as, hey dude, that shirt is not super flattering on you, you may want to try x instead of y. and other times the criticisms are at the very least worded in a fashion that seem to be barbs at the wearers body, nothing to do with the fit. that is where in general, the line has been crossed, imo.

now, sure, there are times when the poster may bring it on himself, and sometimes its a joke between friends that is acceptable, and sometimes a person can couch these comments in a way that doesnt come off bad, but you really have to know where you are stepping and know its cool.

lastly,........... .....THE INTERNETS ARE ARE F EVERYBODY!!!!!!

14. BreezyBirch

if you can't deadlift minimum 300 pounds and still chubby then it's time to hit the showers, amirite

edit: that's probably insensitive. sorry guys!

15. slstr

slstr Senior member

Woooow... haha.

Being gay is not socially acceptable in most parts of the world. Does that make it wrong?

Yes, obesity is a problem, if you're massively obese because of a bad lifestyle to the point where it's affecting your health then yeah, maybe you should do something about it. But our culture has been conditioned by advertising and fashion to believe that a human's ideal form is skinny or muscly and 100% in shape but that is just an image that should never be perpetuated, an image that is unattainable for the vast majority of people, an image that brings self hatred, depression and shame and THAT is what needs to be 'curbed immediately', not obesity.

9 people like this.
  16. BreezyBirch

do you think obesity needs to be.....curved....per se?

7 people like this.
  17. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

hey

1 person likes this.
  18. BreezyBirch

teeeeheeeee

no hate SVB, none at all!

1 person likes this.
  19. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Being overweight is objectively bad for health. I don't blame individuals all that much though. If you went back in time and established a mickey d in pilgrim times or whatever you would have the same result.

Robot bodies will solve it though.

Cyborgs 2050

1 person likes this.
  20. gong

gong Senior member

lol at someone using the japanese as a benchmark for moral behavior

by a korean at that

oh god help

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.