1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

hey thanks for the heads up guys!

this is one freaking awesome series! can't believe i've missed it till now.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  2. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

The difference between the two is that in MC people spend 3.000$ on an outfit to look like 3.000$, in SW&D people spend 3.000$ to look like a post apocalyptic japanese junkyard worker. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

6 people like this.
  3. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Hello friends,

Drunk at time of posting, but I recently ordered Clark's Red Oaks from Amazon.com. They were expensive relative to most Clarks, $140~ or so. 2nd day wearing them and some random guy at a food truck asked me about them and where he could buy them. As soon as I got them I put obenauf's oil on them, which made them very dark. The red is only noticed now at the creases. It's very subtle. I'm happy with the purchase despite paying so much for Clarck's on Amazon.

*Not my own pic. After the oil mine are slightly more dark, but lighter int he creases, this pic was taken right out of the box*
    [​IMG]

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I would rather look like a post-apocalyptic junkyard farmer than a guy who wears a suit every day. Why not dream big?

13 people like this.
  5. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

i find that classic menswear is a good escapism.. i love watching classic hollywood cinema, noir etc.. but doesnt mean i want to reenact them out of period context.

2 people like this.
  6. amathew

amathew Senior member

People on MC don't spend $3,000 on their outfit. The average MC poster is usually a budget shopper who spends a good amount of their money on clothes from Lands End, Brooks Brothers, and other non high end brands. If anything, MC is full of non-ballers wearing 'cheap' clothing but who are trying to look like they're 'ballers.' Most of the guys over there aren't 'wealthy' and don't spend much money on clothes, but they want to project an image where other people think they're important, rich, have class, are james bond, etc. The difference between MC and SWD is that the old dudes over in MC are obsessed with the image they're trying to convey and they're focused on using their clothes to tell the world, "oh look at me, I'm an important person because I wear a suit. I have class and am a proper gentleman." In reality, to me it usually screams "oh look at me, I'm a douche."

MC spending habits =
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/102773/whats-the-most-youve-spent-on
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/294841/how-much-do-you-spend-on-a-suit

7. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

You're deluding yourself if you think there's a big difference. Here it's "oh look at me, I'm an interesting person because I wear an asymmetrical leather jacket. I am unique and not like all these plebs."

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

It's like that on both sides. Clothing is a discourse, and there's romance to be embraced on both sides, to an extent. There can be, at least.

Just looking at what a person wears probably won't tell you much about them, but learning why they wear it might.

9 people like this.
  9. Viken

Viken New Member

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Linen stripe - check

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

2 people like this.
  12. onijo84

onijo84 Senior member

Reminds me of a fit pic of Synthese posted quite sometime back with a TOJ baseball suede(iirc) with APC denim and MMM boots.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

I
    I'm sure if you do a GOOD amount of research on style, find out what you like, and be inspired, you'll stand out in a positive way, regardless of sw & d or mc.

14. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am fine with the pursuit of dressing the MC way. It is the faux gentleman persona that they think comes with the style that annoys me to no end. People from America's Bible belt should not be saying "bravo" on a regular basis.

oh and the Fashion vs Style debate that they constantly have... [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  15. grit

grit Senior member

MC and SW&D are the yin and yang of SF; MC is necessary. If MC were to ever shut down, SW&D demons would crawl from the hole it left and take over the Earth wearing drop-crotch pants and geobaskets. Japanese post-apocalyptic junkyard indeed.

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Oops and here I was thinking that style forum was a place where you could have a debate on style vs fashion . Guess I should take it over to the Woodworkers

17. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

why do you feel this debate is worthwhile or even possible in the first place?

2 people like this.
  18. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

[​IMG]

It's really hot outside :(

I kinda want to get one of the off white viscose tees that AA has. I think that would look better idk.

19 people like this.
  19. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

hmm weird. my collar is floppy, but it doesn't have trouble standing up on its own even while unbuttoned.

also, pretty sure that benes' legs are proportionally short for his height in light of his latest fit pic

20. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

haha no the tank is just very long, there is about a foot more of leg :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.