• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
what about sticking to only one set of rules and ignoring others because they make you uncomfortable ? that makes you something or other, not sure what though !

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are always rules in balancing "art" elements. Photography, architecture, clothing... They're all similar. Not knowing or disregarding the rules doesn't make you right, simply ignorant.

Yes, and asymmetry, contrast, and imbalance have as much purpose in art as strict balance. Not sure why this is difficult for you to grasp.

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, and asymmetry, contrast, and imbalance have as much purpose in art as strict balance. Not sure why this is difficult for you to grasp.

It is not. There are beautiful examples of that. But when they're done by amateurs, they mostly look like ****. Not sure why this is difficult for you to grasp.
Before breaking the rules, first you have to master them.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you like that outfit, then there's nothing to discuss. We're almost as far apart in the fashion world as it's possible.
There are always rules in balancing "art" elements. Photography, architecture, clothing... They're all similar. Not knowing or disregarding the rules doesn't make you right, simply ignorant.

Do you derive your rules from your autism?

Edit: hmm, I thought robinsongreen68's posts were also by you.

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By all means, continue pairing strong-shouldered jackets with t-shirts if it makes you happy.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I simply stated my opinions on the subject and hendrix's fit. He may listen to them or not, that's his choice. For all the subjectivity that you wish me to show, you sure cannot accept my opinion as something that may be correct. Hypocrisy much?
In other words, piss off child.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked our conversation about Hendrix's fit while it was still calm and thoughtful (in other words: your first post and my reply), but then you got all nasty like you usually do.

So yeah. Go away.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Can you go back to MC already? You post here under the guide of open-mindlessness and wanting to learn more yet you still vocally apply your narrow viewpoint to everyone here! If you can't participate in a discussion without simply asserting your own rightness incessantly, can you at least shut the **** up?

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

Cool, so there are two assumptions here, which I'll tackle one at a time
1. Structured shoulders require stronger lines below to balance them
I disagree. I find the contrast of structured shoulders with "unstructured" elements like sweaters or tees creates an energy that I think is pretty sweet. Often attempts at balancing structure succeed only at watering it down, which bores me
2. The presence of a collar and a placket is needed to provide balance
Again, this is a point with roots in social convention rather than aesthetics. Assuming that dramatic shoulders require balance to begin with, a collar/placket aren't the only elements that can do so. Below is a fit pic from an SZ dude to illustrate. Here, the severe shoulders are balanced by strict tailoring elsewhere, such as the skinny arms + jeans. The longsleeve pullover has neither a placket nor collar, and yet the fit still doesn't seem unbalanced.
AU0x6l.jpg
Oh, and here's another example from Stephan Schneider that I'm including just because it's awesome. It lacks the "traditional" collar/placket to balance the heavy shoulders and instead uses a top made from very thin jersey fabric, which creates a really cool sense of energy
kStcF.png

To be fair, neither of your pics show a concave "pagoda" shoulder like the one in Hendrix's fit. Rather, they show flat / extended shoulders which are often associated with slouchy fits. Many of the famous Neapolitan bespoke tailors as well as Anderson & Sheppard use the latter type of shoulder (with or without roping).

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you like that outfit, then there's nothing to discuss. We're almost as far apart in the fashion world as it's possible.

youre stating your opinion like an arrogant twat though

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
for what it's worth i don't think he makes a bad point about a replacing the tshirt with a shirt, but casual and untucked of course. would like nice too

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I liked our conversation about Hendrix's fit while it was still calm and thoughtful (in other words: your first post and my reply), but then you got all nasty like you usually do.
So yeah. Go away.

Can you go back to MC already? You post here under the guide of open-mindlessness and wanting to learn more yet you still vocally apply your narrow viewpoint to everyone here! If you can't participate in a discussion without simply asserting your own rightness incessantly, can you at least shut the **** up?

You are being very impolite. You shouldn't act here differently than you would in real life just because you're hidden behind a computer and not face to face with me.
I am allowed to post my opinions and participate in discussions, no? I was under the impression I wasn't insulting anyone's intelligence, rather posting my opinions. Also, being open-minded and liking everything mindlessly are two different things in my mind. I will never like very structured jackets in casual and relaxed fits, because they don't look relaxed.

FWIW, here's my reply to hendrix's fit in the MC Casual thread (sorry for the broken english, didn't proof-read):

The fit is superb, but the strong shoulders on the jacket clash with the informality of the deep v-neck. A crew-neck would be much better, as well as have a less structured jacket. I'd remove the pocket square, as it looks like you're trying too hard, t-shirt and all... The pants are marvelous, and the shoes are MC-subjectively ugly, but whatever strikes your fancy there. The main problem is the shoulders on the jacket.

Last edited:

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Responding to your first post was such a mistake.

It's like signing up for cat facts

Except no fun at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads