1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nil

Nil Senior member

Those Diors look a size too big. It's fine in the first fit since the cardigan is oversized, but then your shoes look too sleek. In the second fit, the blazer is too structured with the shoulders and shawl collar, so that baggy jeans don't work at all.

11 people like this.
  2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Yeah the blazer pic was a tester (went with trousers / didn't have other jeans with me). I didn't really size down on that pair of Diors, but I definitely could.

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

nice. Just make the square a puff not a fold and you're good. it's too square like that

a tiny nit pick is that i'd prefer not to be able to see the belt, so probaby get a longer tee. Could afford a lower neckline on it too, but it still looks good as is. maybe like an inch off those jeans too? just a touch too much stacking. black jeans would be easier here I think. the distressed gray is a little bit hard to reconcile with the dinner jacket, but it's not off by much.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Didn't bring any limit T's with me :embar: Will give it another shot with different jeans (probably black).

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

snow - nice shades. i like the new hair style better.

i dont think that is entirely true. i have a few of their flanel wool pants, and they are very solid. i also have 2 merino wool v neck sweaters that i think are quite good, and a decent gingham button down too. i hav some other stuff that i no longer wear because its total crap, but not all their stuff is bad, imo.

seriously, i thought he was talking about the chip.

i think this is what nil meant, so maybe this is repetitive, but i think blazer in top pic is way better and looks way more in synch with the rest of the look. i like it a lot. the bottom one, looks like an MC formal jacket on a SWD fit, kind of off imo.

1 person likes this.
  6. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

cyc wid it, your bathroom is amazing. It looks like a fancy vegas hotel bathroom (unless of course that's exactly where you are)

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

If that was my bathroom I'd never leave (5) - was at a hotel in SF.

8. Meis

Meis Senior member

Most of Ervell's stuff fits pretty well if you aren't super tall or have odd proportions. There's really only a few items (collegiate jacket, etc) that fit really weird or are particularly hard to pull off.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

ervell is really narrow in the shoulders :( and kind of a blousy at the waist. works best for people who don't have a huge drop and are just kind of narrow/thin all around. also not that tall.

1 person likes this.
  10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ervell designs for his own body type, which is "nerdy". I have had a few conversations with stockists and fashion friends of his. Essentially, if you are skinny, and have a sort of pencil neck, it will work great for you. If not, the knits might work pretty well since knits stretch to fit, within limits, but most things, not so great.

2 people like this.
  11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Or you can just get them tapered / hemmed. The seat is probably comfortable enough to leave as is, and I know there are tons of capable tailors in the Bay Area. Taper + hem would look sweet.

also lol about Ervell fit, sounds like it was designed for me :embar:

12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Sounds like I should never, ever purchase anything Ervell. :embar:

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

One way, if you don't want to go with chunkier footwear is to wear lighter colored footwear, which will have the same effect. Right now, the shoes looked swamped by the jeans.

With the second look, I would ditch the pocket square, which just looks way too fussy with this type of outfit. With your jeans, you either need a much slimmer jean, or you need to fully commit, and wear jeans or trousers with a very full silhouette. This halfway thing is not working well. If you had some really chunky kicks, it might, but even then, really baggy jeans would be better.

1 person likes this.
  14. fishbones

fishbones Senior member

Thanks everyone!
    Yeah, Ervell's pieces do fit to a certain body type/aesthetic.
    Which is why I'm so interested in them/wear a whole lot of it.

It's suited for a thin frame / slim and cropped style, and like LAGuy says, the knits and such overall are pretty universally good fits.
    When it does come to some of the outerwear/shirting sizing however, that's when it starts to stray away and be a bit different.
    From me experience though, I think I personally fit fairly well with what he has to offer!
    Also Mikey I think you would also fit it pretty well! His knits are really great.

Ervell Loyalist. \m/

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Hrmm yeah I might consider tapering and hemming those Diors (or just get another pair and leave these be). Take 1" - 1.5" off or so and taper the opening to 6.75" starting above the knee?

16. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

I don't know dude, it looks a size or two too big all around. Diors are vanity sized, so if you get them TTS it just doesn't look right.

1 person likes this.
  17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

That pair is a size 30 and it does run a bit loose. I've had some washes in 29 that were wayyy tight. 28 was impossible. Maybe I'm too self conscious about the tight jawnz. :embar:

18. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

from the looks of it, you should easily be able to size down at least 1? aside from jeans, I do like the fits though

19. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

fishbones, how tall are you? Like 5'9ish? Ervell always looks great on you and it's tempting to pick up a few pieces even though it's so different from what I typically wear.

20. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

In order to salvage them, go to a tailor and say you want a hem and taper.

Usually the hemming part is easy as they pin the bottom for you to see and if you find agreeable, they will mark it as so. I like to leave a little bit of fabric for +/- error, so afterwards, ask them to measure what the new inseam would be. If it matches up with what you typically like, say 33" (you seem tall) then say 33.5" (or just reference that you want it no more than 33" inseam, or less). Competent tailor should get the picture.

My experience with tapering is that if the tailor is good, they will tell you whether or not 18cm, 19cm; etc. is good. FWIW I think 18cm for most folks here is good starting point. You can either go up to 19cm, which is your standard 7.5" taper, or down to 17cm (around 6.75"). One thing I like to think about is if I go with 19cm, I may like the hem to have not as much break because the tapering IMO is not as gradual and will end up like what you currently have. 18cm on the other hand you can leave the inseam a bit longer as it will stack better. I think here it will depend on the wearer and experience with the tailor as finding a sweet spot in terms of the hem and taper balance will give off the best "stacked" look.

I usually like my inseams to be about 33 or 32.5 with 18cm, or 7.25". Every now and then 19cm is cool too.

Regarding sizing down, I personally like the top block / seat area to have a little bit more room. So, sizing down in your case, if you find it comfortable is not necessary. The point is, a hem and taper will do wonders to the fit.

edit:
    Another note is that you may realize that one side of your hip sits higher up rendering once part of your leg to have a shorter inseam. This will be apparent if you ever got some dress trousers hemmed. You should let the tailor know this or at the very least check if both inseams are balanced, and to make the respective corrections when hemming the pants if not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.