1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teger

Teger Senior member

the difference is that 2 years from now when a lot of people who are buying lanvin/margiela/zam b today are on to the next thing, me, shoreman and a few other people will still be posting the same workwear / j crew-esque aesthetic except the pieces will look even better because they have actual wear.

this is not in defense of ellisix though

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

FTFY

2 people like this.
  3. APK

APK Senior member

I can't be bothered to go back pages in a thread unless it's to see how many thumbs up old APK posts have gotten, but wasn't the main criticism there based on the example having a noticeably different body type compared to elisix?

1 person likes this.
  4. Teger

Teger Senior member

i would wear a lot more actual vintage if it wasn't gigantic sized. have a few pieces that are pretty good -- old ass super heavyweight/oversized pringle cardi, a belt, and maybe some ll bean boots

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

the funny thing is i'm one of his chief critics in this thread, and it's not as if our style is remarkably different. i'm one of the few posters left who still posts workwear type stuff (including some j crew), it's just that elisix does it terribly.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Pringle... when I first started posting here, MC guys had the biggest hard-ons for that brand. Barely hear it mentioned any more for some reason.

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

That was mentioned, but several also pointed out that the examples he provided were too safe, too normal, too mainstream, too GQ :uhoh: to ever be appreciated here.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I think he needs lighter colored shirts and some semblance of decent outerwear. And better shoes.

For the aesthetic he tries for, and the money he can presumably spend, a few Epaulet shirts (per recommendation earlier), a pair of Aldens, and 1-2 grey/navy sweaters + a Barbour jacket would go a long fucking way. Certainly further than another Kitsune thong.

5 people like this.
  9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Also, according to Malcolm Gladwell, elisix is doing everything right (tiny tweaks, continuous practice, non-stop feedback) -- he'll be an outlier fashionisto in 7,000 hours.
    :slayer:

3 people like this.
  10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

If someone here can pull up my thumbs-up formula, that would be greeeeeat.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

can we go back to talking about books now?

2 people like this.
  12. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

"88 unread posts in waywt."

Fuck.

10 people like this.
  13. Suicmez

Suicmez Senior member

Pretty much this. I own one thing from J.Crew (the chambray) because it's a great shirt to wear out to bars/pubs. Being a student, I would look silly going to a bar in Jil/Raf/Schneider.

My day to day wear consists mostly of things from those brands with some cheap basics mixed in. I tried the J.Crew/GQ look when I first joined the forum, but after a year you just get the hang of things and it becomes boring. It's all just matching colours. No cool details, silhouettes, etc...You don't really get to play around with things and experiment. To subscribe to that style of dress makes wearing clothes akin to wearing a uniform. It's not a bad thing to dress in that stuff...as a beginner. But once you get the basics down, it's quite unfulfilling to continue to stay content with dressing that way. Plus it's fun to look pleasantly different.

4 people like this.
  14. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

don't worry, it's just the usual shitstorm about elisiX's fits and whether you have to wear black to be cool in SW&D, with a side-discussion about the merits of j.crew

3 people like this.
  15. fishbones

fishbones Senior member

[​IMG]
    Quick fit pic at my girl's crib for my new Ervell Varsity.

Ervell x2
    Uniqlo
    Same 'ol.

30 people like this.
  16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Hell, I would pay five dollars to receive elisix-level feedback.

sup teger

4 people like this.
  17. Teger

Teger Senior member

your fits are a lot better these days, although i think you sometimes edge into the gaudy territory with the designer sneakers. :foo:

3 people like this.
  18. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Senior member

Why not just give elisex the benefit of the doubt that he is taking criticism and attempting to improve. I mean that's pretty much what he posts every other post. Maybe his path is a little slower moving but Jesus Christ some of you guys sound like a bunch of assholes. Maybe he will progress and maybe not. The world will alter little either way. Maybe some people should find a new hobby and stop worrying so as to whether elisex is really applying the gold plated swd feedback or not.

4 people like this.
  19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I like tegers boots.

I dont really get feedback either. I was told my dunks don't go with my fit and nobody bothered explaining. I guess I need more ro? I want to go into ro with somewhat menswear colors but not sure how to. I should just sell everything and buy yyph

20. Teger

Teger Senior member

the reason that people, including myself, have been so harsh to him is that he can in here with a 'take it or leave it i'm ~ elisix ~' attitude that's annoying. there's nothing more irritating than that false sense of bravado that new posters who don't get rave reviews have, the whole "I don't care what you say I'm not here for your advice I'm secure" when it's clearly not true.

also just the sheer volume of posts. I think he's posted more fit pics in the past month than I have in two years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.