1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

brands don't mean anything if the stuff fits, is interesting, and the person looks natural/comfortable in their element. extra points for individuality.

16 people like this.
  2. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's exactly what I was stating. I guess I should have used quotation marks on "SWD aesthetic"

I was basically trying to dispell that myth and highlight the fact that SWD is much more diverse and accepting than MC.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

Okay, but these guys sort of had their style already worked out when they started posting here, didn't they? I think there is some truth into the idea of group think. Look at caseyfud. People told him to change his hair, so he did. People told him to get better glasses, so he did. His clothing choices seem to be tailored to the opinions and suggestions of other forum members. And that's not meant to be a knock against him, just that I think there is a certain aesthetic this forum goes for.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

you missed this part of my post

i really should have elaborated on that more. certainly one get look great without the brands, but its hard to deny that that is much harder for most people to accomplish than sticking with brands people like. it requires a really good sense of style, knowing how to find odd pieces that look great, and put it all together.

Barims is one in a million, no question. id put you near there too. you both have your own look. are consistent with it, know what works with it, and have a unique style knack that is not something most people have.

GDL - mostly branded stuff and custom stuff and is all around one of the best dressed guys i have ever seen. hard to use his as en example for mere style regular level dudes. also, you need some coin to dress that way.

MOK - i think he has a decent amount of branded stuff, and is pretty doen with the current SWD look i think.

NYI - really mostly an MC guy, also with a lot of branded stuff plus a good consistent sense of his own style

Shoreman - have not seen/do not remember enough, but he does dress quite well.

i am not telling him to buy branded stuff, i was just stating what i perceived to be for the most part, what is liked around here. and i think starting with some of the liked brands is often a good stepping stone to heading in a direction that will be appreciated here.

its all the looks that get 25+ likes every time they are posted. many are yours.

5. Tirailleur1

they told him get better glasses... they didn't tell him to get RO or some gothninja steeze glasses.

As you can see through his evolution he himself fits outside the perceived notion of the SWD aesthetic.

6. in stitches

ugh, i think i am being misunderstood. i am not advocating buying brands as the only way to success. there is a lot of range here, and plenty of room for individuality, and there can be great success within that.

i am merely stating that buying things that are know to be liked here, will obviously garner some appreciation, and learning what that is, and then building your own style from there, figuring out what looks good on you.... is easier than just trying to all of a sudden be a style master who can pick out odd stuff and make it look great. that takes time. a lot of time.

1 person likes this.
  7. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

this discussion sucks guys

7 people like this.
  8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

What's that quote/story about how hard it actually is to look "effortless?" Some throwaway blurb, but the point was that style's a bit like writing, or riding a horse, or skiing - you work at it for a really long time, play your scales, practice your french fries, and eventually you don't have to think about it anymore. Elisex is just playing his scales!

...In a room full of people trying to listen to a concert.

16 people like this.
  9. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

:rimshot:

2 people like this.
  10. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Holy shit guys, SWD is so simple. Like, supremely easy. Here's how you win:

1. Suck less

Stop overcomplicating things, seriously. If you look good (no, only YOU thinking YOU look good does not count) people will enjoy your fit, regardless of brands.

3 people like this.
  11. glundr

glundr Senior member

i can appreciate barims' next level-ness but when i see his fits I feel like he is so punchable. I'm not about that life, jelly, etc.

12. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

13. in stitches

lol, you say that like it is easy. looking good aint easy. if it was, everyone would look good. and to wit, not everyone does.

14. michaelyork

michaelyork Senior member

In_sitches has a very good point, but needs to make it more lucidly and with concrete examples.

15. glundr

glundr Senior member

nigga what. It aint that serious man its just cloooothes man.

16. Tirailleur1

ok I can buy that. My disagreement stemmed from elisix's inital statement

17. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

I think you missed the point of his analogy, as it would still fit in well with your expansion of it

style can have it's own Etudes and WTC, just as it can have it's own Gymnopédie as it can have it's own [ ]

but no matter how you look at it, starting with the basic scales is not a bad place to start, even if the direction you pick is more elaborate and beautiful scales

1 person likes this.
  18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

This was a post i wrote that's my understanding of how SW&D WAYWT works.

You might find it useful and enlightening,or you might find it banal. At this point, I really don't give a shit either way I just like reading meta-discussions.

19. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

haha yeah that's the one, well-written and helped me a lot in the beginning, thanks [​IMG]

20. buran

buran Senior member

Sometimes this thread turns very bad very fast. Shoes not pictured but black slip-ons. I'm trying to post a fit to get it closer to normal. Left is how I feel when I read the thread like it is currently.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.