1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

Hey Benes, I think the fit would look automatically better with a pair of Converse (a lot of the Yohji guys do it I think)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

ahaha people still say that?

3. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Benesyed- Your style is coming across as very "try-hard". For me it starts with the glasses and extends to everything else. If you have cash flow problems, stop buying yohji. I've been in the Yohji thread and pretty much everyone, including myself, who doesn't have a good grasp on their own personal style just looks bad in Yohji. It's a high degree of difficulty and it also happens to be very expensive.

This is just a hypothesis, but I think you might be choosing clothes based on how much you like them in a vacuum, regardless of how they might look on you or fit in with your wardrobe (a common mistake.) For example, why did you choose those glasses? You have decent features, but they are completely dominated by those goggles. Find something that fits your face. Then find a pair of trousers that fits your physique and so on...get to Yohji and unbuttoned double breasted blazer experiments later.

9 people like this.
  4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

"True true, very true"

5. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Okay I'm not usually a huge fan of your fits but ignore gt, dude is off his rocker lately. You're going to be an SF success story, just give it a minute. Also I usually have terrible pics and get a lot of thumbs, half of it is being a regular*.

"lol smdh"

*the other half is :revolve: M A G I C :revolve:

4 people like this.
  6. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

What I have learned so far is that when I stick to very basic yohji inspired things, it fits me well and is pretty well received, issues of footwear non-withstanding. As I said before, I think my latest fit was a good basic fit and maybe the photo quality hamstrung me a little. What I was hoping for was feedback about maybe wearing a less slutty t shirt, maybe tighter fitting cuffs. Get a sense of how to do details in a basic fit so that it still looks great.

I think where you are right is with slimmer fit clothing. Part of it is I do not have a good ability to discern tacky t shirts from good t shirts but the feedback helps me with that. The other part is just what you said, I do not know what my personal style is when it comes to that sort of stuff.

1 person likes this.
  7. istasi

istasi Senior member

This is such nitpicky stuff, and it's really hard to say exactly what tweaks will bring a decent fit to a great fit. I think this is where creating an inspiration folder/pinterest/whatever really helps. Not sure how slutty a tee you need w/ a look? Not sure how to cuff? Go to your inspiration folder, find similar fit. It's difficult to make really minor suggestions, especially when quality of photos is low.

8. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

A couple things benne:

you're not going to start posting good fits immediately, it doesn't work that way, no matter how much you spend. there are certain nuances which you will only really notice with time and it really does take some time to figure out what works on your body type, etc. i've been here for 2 or 3 years and still consider myself to be VERY early on in my "personal style journey." As much as I bitch, I actually think it has helped me having a limited budget, because it forces me to think a lot more about buying pieces and as a result i've had a pretty good success rate w/ things that I buy. Also, clothes look a lot better once they've been worn in, drunkenly slept it, thrown in a ball on the floor of your floor, etc. just makes them look much more natural. box fresh clothing generally looks bad.

bottom line is you'd probably be best served by a self imposed spending limit per month to force you to make more focused purchases. keep an inspiration folder as others have said, and learn to critique your own fits. To be honest, most of the time I post a fit here I'm not really looking for advice as I know what needs to be changed to fit the image of what I'm going for in my head. it's more for posterity and the sake of community. Also, you'll notice the best posters on here don't follow a single designer or aesthetic, but kind of synthesize something on their own. even the heroes of the yohji thread all have their own take on yohji. or, for example, tween spirit. it's less about fitting into someone else's vision and more about fitting into your own vision.

16 people like this.
  9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Bene and I had a great discussion in private a few weeks ago; sadly, he did not take my advice. :eek:

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Had to look this up... was not thinking d meant damn based on original response.

1 person likes this.
  11. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I

I'm a glutton for punishment :'(

12. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

TC Walter should get exclusive access to thumbs comments.

2 people like this.
  13. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

2 people like this.
  14. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

the purpose of this thread is not for us to guide you on your personal style journey - while this thread provides feedback, it's not your (or anyone's) blog. don't post every random outfit you happen to be wearing. try something a few times, and if you think it works THEN post it here.

16. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

Yes he PM'd me after one of my comments about 2 months ago and I tried to give advice. But since, almost none has been followed. Ben, not everything needs to be a statement piece. Your wardrobe is like half Yohji and half a mix of non SF approved cloths. And you can't really mix and match anything. That is why your fits and everything are all over the place. Like others have said, and I as well, buy more basic stuff that you can incorporate into more the style your going for. And that doesn't mean only by YY, how about some normal fitting trousers, better shoes since all of yours continue to suck, and no Zurric's, those are garbage.

17. colabear

colabear Senior member

I admire how you casually said you had ass last night like you are just describing what you ate last night. So jealous of you for that. Me, I just had pad Thai. By the way, you didn't by chance had pad Thai flavored ass last night didn't you? Yum yum...or may I say Tom yum yum soup spicy and delish

11 people like this.
  18. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I think the issue is that while I have actually taken your advice, and others, the items are still on their way so I havent been able to implement them. My bad for continuing to post

Obviously I will peel back and only post fits that I think have incorporated the right stuff/changes rather than just to test old items out. And much less frequently.

19. colabear

colabear Senior member

just keep posting fit pics, Ben. And for others who don't like it, then don't look at his fit pic or don't comment. As simple as that.

1 person likes this.
  20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ughhh... :facepalm:

as long as it's the one who speaks English...

seems like Benesyed is really trying and yes he may be a bit misguided, but I really I haven't read many similar posts that seem so genuinely open to suggestions get reamed so hard... I kinda feel bad for the guy. Just because he's a nOOb doesn't really validate piling on. Maybe he's not taking them all in and trying to utilize other members advice as skillfully as he could... but let's try to help him out anyway ya?

btw... I got a bunch of new stuff over the Black/Cyber weekend.... now I'm just hoping I can post it and slide by unnoticed! LOL :satisfied:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.