The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't understand why people like the Lanvin low tops, the profile is chunky and awkward and the toe is massive. Even with the patent leather toe and weird materials I think they look kind of dull. I've had the opportunity to buy the low tops in the black patent toe with satin body, black patent toe with wool body and the ones that sq4u has for $180 a pair, but I just didn't like them. The high tops on the other hand are great, I would definitely buy a pair if I found them anywhere near that price.

2. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

sq's comments about lanvin sneakers reminds me of when people first wanted the break-down of 350 jeans- first it was the selvedge, then the MIJ. When those features were available for 80, it became all about the "sophistication of the cut", etc. Now it's shit like unquantifiable artisanal characteristics, etc.. There's a huge resistance to the idea that designer clothing can be arbitrarily expensive, go figure. MII does not make 800 dollar sneaks. Dust bags don't do it, calf skin, etc. Ironically, "you might pay a small premium for the lanvin name" had me chuckling.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

There is no justification for wearing more than $150 in clothes at a given time except for the "I like X piece more" justification. Value is subjective.

4. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

hence the term, "baller"

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Kangaroo > calf leather
    More comfortable, softer, supple

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Fuuma had a really fantastic post (may have actually been on SZ) summing up the whole price/quality thing. Wish I could find it.

7. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

Fuuma had a really fantastic post (may have actually been on SZ) summing up the whole price/quality thing. Wish I could find it.
    perhaps this one (though its more price/design)? http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...4&postcount=48

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

I prefer the old sleeker soles and the lows need a baggier pant.

fuji no hate but your ps shoes are awful compared to lanvins

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

I like slim shoes, thats why I bought the paul smiths. I couldn't even wear Lanvins if I wanted too, my feat are too narrow for them and they slip. With all the hype on high tops there should be an official streetwear sneakers thread.

10. sq4you

sq4you Mid-level baller

They look great with tapered jeans tucked in - I'll try to post a fit pic today.

on that note, what i'm wearing today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In text form for Eason:
    Shipley & Halmos shirt
    Prorsum SS10 trousers midnight blue/black-ish (these things are the sickest pants ive ever seen)
    Lanvin trainers
    Lanvin AW10/11 backpack (just kidding. its fucking travelite but lanvin did have backpacks in its latest runway show!)

pplizz: are you saying you personally wouldn't wear lanvin clothes or you just think they suck in general? pretty much everything they make is amazing in all imaginable ways (construction, materials, cut, style, etc), particularly the winter stuff.

as everyone else has pointed out though, the stuff is ridonculous expensive.

11. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

Lanvin AW10/11 backpack (just kidding. its fucking travelite but lanvin did have backpacks in its latest runway show!)
    i think this should be a must cop for you sq. those backpacks looked crazy nice

12. Kill_switch

Kill_switch Senior member

i dig lanvins in photos but i would never choose them over other brands because they are too "luxe", the design when paired with very simplistic trashed up clothing would just be too awkward.

13. sq4you

sq4you Mid-level baller

the lows need a baggier pant.
    yeah that's true. if im wearing nudies with my lows i always choose the slim jims over thin finns.

I like slim shoes, thats why I bought the paul smiths. I couldn't even wear Lanvins if I wanted too, my feat are too narrow for them and they slip. With all the hype on high tops there should be an official streetwear sneakers thread.

paul smith makes cool shoes too. i have a bunch as well.

ive thought it as well but then i think whats the point of having a streetwear sneakers thread when it will just be consumed by jcrew threads.

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

This is actually simple and interesting to experience. You can easily run a group think on yourself and come out of the other end "feeling" the same sneakers everyone else does. Go to SuFu, start on page one of all the sneaker threads, and read several pages a day until you reach the end. That's all it takes. By the end, you, too, will be shouting "SICK!!" at all the *right* shoes and be dismissive of all the *wrong* shoes.

I've done this, it works.

I'm not sure if i want to get conditioned anymore. Then i'll have to add frikken moonboot sneakers to my list of "must kops", which is already getting pretty outrageous!

I think i'm content just marvelling at how people are able to work them into fits successfully. For now, at least.

15. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

ive thought it as well but then i think whats the point of having a streetwear sneakers thread when it will just be consumed by jcrew threads.
    The streetwear shoes and boots thread survived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.