The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

while i dont speak for others, i wouldnt say hate is the right word. hell if someone wants to wear that everyday and it does look good thats fine, thats more or less what i do. its also why i dont post fits though, not much point [to me at least] to posting something thats more or less par the course.

not that im saying you shouldnt post fits if you do "wear the sf uniform," i just dont bother myself unless i have something i feel is exceptional or unique to contribute. as for the part about the uniform as a personal style and "progressing past that," i agree that "progression" would be stupid, more of a shifting of style. jeans and a leather can easily be someones personal style its just that it can be percieved as "mundane" in the context of this board

or something like that

2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

For me, most of the more interesting posters here reflect some sort of tension between an increasingly tenebrious, overly romanticized past - or even proto-future - wherein we begin to imagine that maybe Sidney Carton really was wearing Paul Harnden at the guillotine, or that Oscar Wilde was awash in Ann Demeuelemeester; and the sort of Brazil-esque future that we all have begun to fear, the nightmarish urban dystopia on which "engineering" firms like Vexed Generation focused.

Most of these posters are caught up in some sort of interesting interstitial space. I'd say that this is true of people from snowman, embroiled in, if you'll excuse me, a sort of unfolding of the urban ptyx, whose personal photos speak to complete, romantic irrelevance - neither functional nor mode - despite their focus on "modernity"; to fuuma, who is focused on inauthentic romance - a translatio comprised entirely of mood, influenced more by poetics than functionality.

I think that, unfortunately, what most of us end up putting on our bodies lacks an ethos, or at least, an ethics of relevance, comprehensiveness, or even romance - in contrast, I am thinking of posters such as SZ's mail-moth or our own Zissou (whom I view as quirkily contemporary); who have explored and fleshed out the ethics of their chosen aesthetic, or rather the aesthetics of their chosen ethos. The majority of us, however, have neatly fallen into theoretical hipsterism, and unconsciously embrace - and consciously wear - signs (clothing) only to reject them and revel in their emptiness. I am not suggesting that we ought to hunt for authenticity; I think, rather, that I'm speaking to the rapid, or, equally disconcerting, unwitting amalgamation of purely self-referential items - we occupy a sort of clothing meta-text that is, ultimately, meaningless, having no stable self to reference and is, despite teger's arguments otherwise, more "fashionable" - a la mode - than any irrelevant but focused aesthetic.

I think the challenge moving forward is: how do we embrace modernity and radical revolution while still reveling in the glory of the golden age, whichever that might be?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

3. eternaldrake

^oh god did i click a stylezeitgeist link where am i

im probably going off on a tangent here but I would like to say that this is why zissou is one of my favorite waywt posters. even though im not a huge fan of the whole aesthetic hes going for, you can tell hes gone through it very thoroughly and wears the aesthetic very, very well. essentially a matter of refined specialization vs. the standard poster who usually lightly flirts with a number of styles until eventually settling somewhere that fits them, if they ever do.

ivwri would be another good example imo, fuckin love his fits

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Damn, came in here looking for pics and all I got was a debate. Seems obvious to me you should wear whatever the hell you want and not give a damn what some random anonymous fools (myself included) on the internet think. That said, I always breeze right past the J. Crew fits and look for pics from guys like Shah, Snowman, Synth, Ivwri, notwithit, etc. They all got different styles but they do them well (props from a random anonymous fool on the internet).

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

ftfy. This is pretty funny.

6. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

raf simmmons from first collection to last

i don't think it's a problem to not have a stable, identified self to reference. i tend between colonialist and colonizable (though today, like some days throughout the year i made an exception, and became the colonized middle ground). maybe that's identified selves i reference ? if i had to think of how i could blend my aesthetic with my environment as M-M does i'd have a heart attack because it's not at all what i'm interested in--i don't have a shotgun and i hate running away from angry bulls, and i have an irrational fear of wolverine encounters. fortunately for him it is and it works, same with zissou.

anyway i doubt most people care for this level of thought when it comes to aesthetic and prefer le mode du jour -- as fuuma said it's all temporary anyway.

i also think you've become depressed of late, in no small part due to me since i still haven't met you for hot cocoa and old cheb khalid records...

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

you cant embrace radical revolution because the entire context which this discussion takes place (aesthetics) is really the construct of a petit-bourgeois mindset that functions to limit thought and freedom. your 'revolution' is only a revolution in the sense that it as moving between two very narrow points within a larger dominating structure of deconstructed perverse psuedo-liberalism.

8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

[​IMG]

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

the domination through 'popular' mass culture evidenced in your thought is... disconcerting.

10. eternaldrake

ps what the fuck is a ptyx

11. Synthese

I think that it might be more accurate to say that I've become disillusioned, dispirited - or simply uncomfortable. This is something that I think is important, and am doing my best to reconcile. I care less about a multiplicity of faces, because I think that it is a welcome and even necessary facet of contemporaneity, but I am discomfited by the final statement of my previous post: how to embrace both radical change the nostalgic romance. I'm torn between thinking that nostalgia is as important as progress, and thinking that radical revolution and complete redesign is the answer to futurism, that all current design is essentially symptomatic, and that progress under our current structuralist mode is essentially impossible. Maybe I'm just in search of a new perspective - for example, if we knew that there was life under Europa's ice, how would that change the way we dress?

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

your growing disillusion is the inevitable balk of the individual against the constraining authoritarianism of a mass culture that functions to distract the proletariat from fulfilling his revolutionary praxis. unfortunately due to the collapse of the traditional family authority structure, there is no mediating force to separate you from the dominating influence of the status quo

13. Synthese

Well, I know that now you're just making fun of me, which is fine, and I'll apologize for the effusive, aggrandizing verbosity, but I think the problem is that this is true - and I also think that someone has to think it, and that perhaps the modern bourgeois is most suited to the task - neither entirely complacent nor entirely motivated. Regardless of the limitations of semantics, however, I'm trying to say "radical revolution" as a complete rethinking from a new standpoint - like, if we had to reinvent the battery today, from scratch, tabula rasa (get it? Ha!), what would we and what could we come up with?

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

i believe in a positivistic worldview in which everything that has occurred has occurred in the only feasible way in which it could possibly occur (10)

actually, i think what you're trying to say is maybe valid, but stop trying to couch it in the language of an analytical essay.

clothing is an interesting mix of form and function. on the specific cultural level, as much as we try to assert that subjective standards do exist, there are also objective truths that we acknowledge - although they are only objective within our specific categorical worldview. at the same time, because our clothing is in a way functional (although you could argue that through what we construe as important functions that our clothing satisfies is itself subjective), i do believe that there's a narrow range of what forms clothing can take.

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I'm batting way above my head with a lot of these concepts (I was an economics major), but feel like "The New Sincerity" outlined in DFW's essay "E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction" has the answer to the crisis of postmodern nihlism http://jsomers.net/DFW_TV.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.