1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

"View Post
    By the way, I may not be attractive, but I'm married to a pretty lady, doing fine and own a house in a great neighborhood in the Bay Area and I'm well under 30 and immigrated to the US and was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth, or in my ass like so many posters here."

Was this really the original Moo post or did you edit, Morty? If Moo is really 'well under 30' with the possibility of him actually being younger than me, then this is probably the biggest mind fuck I've ever had on styleforum, and there's been a few... I would've had Moo pegged at a really mature 35 to more likely 45.

You'd be surprised by the way they dress/talk how many of the guys in the MC forum are <27

2. Nil

Nil Senior member

You'd be surprised by the way they dress/talk how many of the guys in the MC forum are <27
    *Mind blown* What an awful waste of youth.

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

man, I like to enjoy myself, but I don't get nearly as crazy as some people, not even close. I'd rate myself an honest 3 or 4 out of 10 nowadays on the life register. If that was really a Moo quote, I'd give him a 1 for effort or out of pity, but he honestly wouldn't deserve it. I think robbie might register closer to an honest 1 but on the other hand, he's cheap.

4. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

That's creepy.. I wonder if some MC guys don't actually lead professional lives?

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

fair point, but with youth, you either use it or lose it. or was that something else? Socal2NYC is nearing 50 and parties like a rock star.

6. jet

jet Senior member

7. DLester

DLester Senior member

there seems to be a cultural void between SWD and MC, and it has little if anything to do with age. no one should assume that one day they will &quot;graduate&quot; from SWD and wander over to MC permanently.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Disposable cameras are nice: [​IMG] Is my face appropriate for what I'm wearing or should I switch to Visvim or something?

9. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

there seems to be a cultural void between SWD and MC, and it has little if anything to do with age. no one should assume that one day they will "graduate" from SWD and wander over to MC permanently.

I need to start dressing "well" for work, and I just bought items I'm already familiar with from SW+D - a Dries, N. Hoolywood, and now Jil Suit, Uni-qlo dress pants, Jil shoes, N. Hoolywood / uni-qlo dress shirts. It's a totally different vibe, not a natural progression. Dudes over there might murder for wearing "fashion" MC stuff

10. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

Have to agree with Magician to an extent. Uncontrol's fits always look really tacky to me...even the one that won in the WAYWT contest thread. I have to say that I've never understood the love for his fits and particularly the responses by people who say they're inspired to try certain things like bootcut jeans after seeing his fits.

sq4you, Nil, and fuuma's latest look good though.

11. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I <3 Fuuma. I'm sure that picture was taken in Paris but it's really making me want to go back to NY and stay

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I <3 Fuuma. I'm sure that picture was taken in Paris but it's really making me want to go back to NY and stay

Censored girl is Jewish so that sorta makes it NYC but yeah, taken in Paris.

13. dibadiba

dibadiba Senior member

there seems to be a cultural void between SWD and MC, and it has little if anything to do with age. no one should assume that one day they will "graduate" from SWD and wander over to MC permanently.
    I disagree with the second part of your post, to an extent. I wore pretty fashion-forward stuff for a while, but when I got a new day-job I realized most of my wardrobe was unsuitable to be worn there. I picked up more work appropriate clothing like chinos and buttondown shirts, and I find myself wearing these sort of things on the weekends a lot more often now. Likewise, I think that when you put yourself in a more professional setting requiring suits and MC-ish attire, you're more likely to wear variations of this stuff in a more casual setting as well.

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

fuuma looking good. fuck, my hair is that length now but just too thick and unruly. wish it would lay like a normal person like that. looks nice there. maybe i need to sheer and thin the fuck out of it to get it like that.

yea, i'm fine with uncontrol as a poster but still don't like any of his fits. dont' think that being &quot;different from the norm&quot; is an excuse. just don't think they look that good. Also don't think that every opinion/genre is good in the eye of the beholder or whatever. Can't be right or wrong but can be good/bad imo. Don't think dogs playing poker is on the same level as van gogh or miley cyrus as good as the beatles but it just being a matter of opinion or what you happen to like. He can keep on keeping on, but i think he can still find a balance between being flamboyant and actually looking good but i'm sure it's more fun for him to be a character that polarizes most. It's empowering which is why you see so many weird subgroups in high school like mallgoths, etc...

15. DLester

DLester Senior member

I need to start dressing "well" for work, and I just bought items I'm already familiar with from SW+D - a Dries, N. Hoolywood, and now Jil Suit, Uni-qlo dress pants, Jil shoes, N. Hoolywood / uni-qlo dress shirts. It's a totally different vibe, not a natural progression. Dudes over there might murder for wearing "fashion" MC stuff

this is how to do it. I have been eyeballing a particular Dries suit for a month or two and might have to get it soon. I rarely need a suit and would just wear it for fun now and then. I used to have to wear a suit all the time and hated it. Suits are much more enjoyable when they are a special occasion thing.

did I see you post that you are leaving for Japan?

16. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

this is how to do it. I have been eyeballing a particular Dries suit for a month or two and might have to get it soon. I rarely need a suit and would just wear it for fun now and then. I used to have to wear a suit all the time and hated it. Suits are much more enjoyable when they are a special occasion thing.

did I see you post that you are leaving for Japan?

Yep, took a long-term position, so I'll be in Seoul and later Kobe city come July

17. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

[​IMG]

Jcrew
    Albam
    LVC 47
    DB
    Filson

This looks great. I love the fit of your jeans.

18. DLester

DLester Senior member

I disagree with the second part of your post, to an extent. I wore pretty fashion-forward stuff for a while, but when I got a new day-job I realized most of my wardrobe was unsuitable to be worn there. I picked up more work appropriate clothing like chinos and buttondown shirts, and I find myself wearing these sort of things on the weekends a lot more often now.
    Likewise, I think that when you put yourself in a more professional setting requiring suits and MC-ish attire, you're more likely to wear variations of this stuff in a more casual setting as well.

Well I was just highlighting the cultural differences between SWD and MC, not so much the clothes themselves. I agree that fashion forward clothes will not work in certain conservative offices.

But plenty of MC looks wouldn't work in certain conservative offices either!

19. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I graduated to SW/D from MC instead of the other way around. No point in wearing suits and shit to elementary school, ESPECIALLY if they don't let me wear my fucking shoes. Guys in MC clothing wearing sandals and slippers looks fucking ridiculous. Also more like almost every single MC look would not pass for conservative offices. Way too much color and spresazoaoaijdatrua.
    Yep, took a long-term position, so I'll be in Seoul and later Kobe city come July
    Don't forget to bring your size 30 5010s to sell to me!

20. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

too closed minded to just have one element - i take from both mc and sw&amp;d as influence... shows in my work fits as i have usually fairly slim MC-esque pieces with a SW&amp;D jacket

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.